GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this sound like a good deal  (Read 3068 times)
Dwight_Shrut
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 02, 2011, 12:47 PM »

Since I have no experience with a sports kite, I was looking for a beginner sports kite, el'cheapo so that if I don't really get into it, it'd be no biggie. But I don't want to kill the enthusiasm either. How does this one look for a beginner? Its going to be 30 bucks with shipping.

The specs on this one says
--------------------------
Nylon kite with glass fiber sticks. Comes with strings, string holder and ripstop bag, kite size = 2.6m x 0.78m or 102 x 30 inches

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:58 PM »

No.
Buy a kite from a reputable kite manufacturer from a reputable kite store.
Avoid no name kites from discount warehouses.
Of course I may be a bit biased  Huh

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Dwight_Shrut

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:03 PM »

I was afraid you would say that. I found it here ***

***Direct commercial link removed***

Hi Comm'l links to other than GWTW or its sponsors are frowned upon.

Thanks jwb
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:25 PM by JimB » Logged
Ben
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:17 PM »

Of course I may be a bit biased

As well you should be  Wink
lylenc

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:18 PM »

Walk if not run away from kites if the description uses:

string instead of line

string holder instead of line winder

sticks instead of rods

nylon might pass, but most stunt kites use rip stop fabric under various names

That said, kites like Trlbys, no longer in production, were great glass-rod values to do loopty loop stuff and they could take a beating. They weren't meant to do slack line tricks.

Steve here at GWTW is an excellent source AND more importantly a resource. I've been dealing with him for a decade +/-. He won't steer you wrong and he provides excellent service after the sale.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48 PM »

K44 Stealth

HQ Maestrale
    Deja vu !?! Huh

Make of it what you will, and adjust all expectations accordingly.  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:42 PM »

You will be disappointed in no name knockoff kites.
 I would suggest a call to Steve or post what you are looking to spend and you may find something used to your liking.
Not looking to be pushy but but we dont want to see you waste your money

Sine Metu!
Imafloater

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 04:32 PM »

IMO buy from a reputable dealer (OK I'll recommend Steve) get yourself something in your price range for beginner to intermediate flyer (OK I'll recommend check with Steve).  I have several kites in that range and after more years flying than I want to admit here I still enjoy flying the 'beginner' kite.  Later as you move up it's also nice to have something in the bag when the question comes "Can I fly one of your kites?.  This one can move up to trainer since you ain't learnin' on my $300 kite. Just IMO.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:12 PM »

Since I have no experience with a sports kite, I was looking for a beginner sports kite, el'cheapo so that if I don't really get into it, it'd be no biggie. But I don't want to kill the enthusiasm either. How does this one look for a beginner? Its going to be 30 bucks with shipping.

The specs on this one says
--------------------------
Nylon kite with glass fiber sticks. Comes with strings, string holder and ripstop bag, kite size = 2.6m x 0.78m or 102 x 30 inches

May as well throw the $30 in the toilet and flush... that's how good those rip-off kites are. And the $150 kite that it's a rip-off of isn't even that good of a kite, I know that because I have one.

Plan on spending ~$120-$150 for a decent starter kite, or look in the swap meet for better kites second hand in that price range.
~Rob.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:15 PM by Must86 » Logged

tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49 PM »

Get a silver fox instead - a lot of kite for a little $.

6 kite tom
Dwight_Shrut

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:52 AM »

Thanks for the input. Will budget a $150 expense for next month for the kite.
jaydub

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:36 AM »

Go for the Soul in the swap meet atm.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5482.msg49426

The next kite up in the Flying Winds range from the Silver Fox and less bucks than a new SF.
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 01:08 PM »

+1 for the Soul. Amazingly good kite for the money and very under rated!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:59 PM »

Do a little background on a kite that you can afford and its abilities, as choosing a kite otherwise , will only frustrate your attempts in learning to fly, and make you lose interest.
Fellow members have given you very good advice,and we all would like to steer you in the right direction.
There are also kites in the below $60 range for beginners that will give you fair introduction to kiteing.
Good luck and all.
Hadge

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 02:45 AM »

If you want a fairly cheap, but decent kite take a look at the Premier Addiction. It's an older model now but I think still available, it is a bit more flexible and twitchy than the higher priced kites but will give you a good flying experience and is a great little kite. Look on the web, one shop shows them for just over $70.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document