GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 11:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to fly inland  (Read 1229 times)
duallines
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: June 03, 2011, 05:26 PM »

I live inland about 2 hours from the coast. Every kite manual suggests that you fly at the coast cause the wind isn't broken, or disturbed! Even at the beach the wind tends to get choppy. I would like more helpful hints on where to get clean air inland. I usually fly on a soccer field but it has trees, and a large building nearby, haven;t had much problem with the wind unless very light wind conditions, but how do you find cleaner air?
turbo23
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:04 PM »

Good luck, thats the question we are all searching for. If you can get a nice hill top, or large field that will help. Even then, the air has traveled over land and has begun to break up. Get good on land, and youll really do well when you hit the beach winds.
the*real*stoney

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:03 PM »

I don't know if this will work but it works for me. I have been an inland flier for a long time - 20 years plus. The wind drives all of us nuts. I have had some good results with this approach.

First, I scout possible fields where I might be able to fly comfortably. I identify the fetch so that I could fly there if the wind comes from maybe the west. Another location where the east wind would be good but no other direction. So, now I have identified several locations where I can fly in only one direction. If the location is privately owned, I contact the owner and explain what I do. So, if the wind is coming from the west, or the east, south, north and in between, I just go to the friendly field for that direction. Doesn't work all the time but it beats sitting in front of the TV.

If the property owner agrees, do what he asks. One owner who lets me fly, stipulates that I have to notify him that I am on the property. I do what he asks - no issues.

Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:20 PM »

I've flown at a lot of inland fields and I think that there are pockets on the field That

get better wind than the rest of the field. Find the pockets.   
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:59 PM »

I would try all the places close to you and see which has the most consistently good wind. You'll start to know where to go based on the wind conditions.

Where I live it's never very good so I just make do the best I can. It gets frustrating but I still have a good time. If not I just stop and come back at another time or day.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 03:19 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind when looking for a inland spot is the greater surrounding area.
For example here in the city with have a huge decommissioned airfield. Several miles across and very flat.
But during the summer and during the day the wind is still horrible since so much of the airflow  gets disrupted from thermals in the surrounding city.
Its very noticeable, early hours, good wind, normal day hours, bleragh, late evening, nice stable winds again.

Another of our spots is on top of a small hill in the middle of a forest. Problem is the wind coming up the flanks, leaves dead spots close to the edge and adds a lot of wind over the edge.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 05:51 PM »

Get to know your local wind patterns. Most place have a pretty consistent prevailing wind direction. For instance, around here, unless there's a storm, the wind is almost always from the NW. With that knowledge you can scout fields with favorable upwind features.

There are a lot of weather web sites out there, but the one I use, wunderground.com, has historical data in chart form. You can look at a bunch of days in a given season and see trends in wind speed and direction at different times of day.

It's also helpful to get good, consistent measurements. Airports tend to be good. A lot of web sites use personal weather station data which is often unreliable for wind. Find a good municipal source or two. I'm fortunate to have a military base right next to my flying field and their wind data is very good.

It's worth driving a ways for better wind. Look away from built up areas. If your prevailing winds are from the north, look on the north side of town.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Danno419

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:28 PM »

windfinder.com
between the super forecast and the wind reports, this is the only site i really need.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum