GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 03:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Easy Kites (Ray Bordelon) fittings  (Read 2450 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: June 04, 2011, 03:20 AM »

Hi all,

I bought a (nice) second hand Big Easy Kites M2.

One of the two original Big Easy sail-standoff connector was replaced by a Tradewind connector. I don't know why the first owner did that.

My questions :

- Is it possible to find somewhere original Big Easy Kites fittings to replace the Tradewinds connector ?

- If not, is it possible to take off the Big Easy stand-off connector without damaging the sail and how : with a fine drill from inside or outside through the rivet ?

Who knows how this piece is built inside and how it works ? Is there a big hole into the sail or not ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Inside                                                                                                                            Outside

And thanks Doug for this picture...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:06 AM by Tataouine » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 04:54 AM »

I don't know what the originals were but I'd use a dremmel with a grinding stone to hollow out the center hole in the rivet until the bottome plate comes off.  More control and less chance of damaging the sail.  BUt if its working why remove it?
Michel

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 05:20 AM »

I'd use a dremmel with a grinding stone to hollow out the center hole in the rivet until the bottome plate comes off. More control and less chance of damaging the sail.

Thanks for the tip. But does a Dremel tool not turning too fast for this job ?

But if its working why remove it?

Yes, it works. But I prefer 100 % symetrical kites and the original Big Easy sail standoff connector is very heavy for a SUL kite (IMHO).  Wink

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:01 AM »

... Who knows how this piece is built inside and how it works ? Is there a big hole into the sail or not ?

Unless you figure the reinforcement patch on the replaced side has been replaced also (pretty obvious since the sewing is continuous on your picture) then the hole won't be larger then the hole on that side, if a Tradewinds fits then anything will.

Looking at your picture but not knowing the parts personally it looks the standoff side probably has a hole all the through then a pop rivet has been put through the sail into the hole and "popped". Getting it off: if you can get something under the rivet it may pry out, I bet the replaced side simply fell off when the rivet worked loose, but you run the risk of damaging the fabric so don't force it. You could try to press it out from the standoff side but if it is a pop rivet that could mushroom it more and tighten it. Best option is careful work with a drill or Dremel to get that head off. They are made of a soft aluminum and drill easily, use a bit not more then twice the diameter of the center hole and running it in from the head side will usually take the head right off, go slow, check your progress, once your through even one area and before you drill the sail fabric you'll have thinned the whole area enough to pop the head right off.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
lou_minati
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:04 PM »

Hi all,
There is an aluminum washer molded into the piece and the pop rivet is "popped" in.  A 1/8" drill should get it out and the connector should be reusable. I may have some of these laying around if you are determined to get a matched set.

Lou
Ca Ike

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:38 AM »

LOoking a bit closer at your pic that fitting is not put on with a pop rivet.  IT looks more like a snap type fitting.  you may be able to pry the edge up with a scsrewedriver just enough to get some wire cutters ure it then use a pair of pliers on the plastic side to pull it apart.  Either way you go you will more than likely destroy the fitting.

Mikes advice on the drilling is spot on.  Only thing I wil add to it is to hold the plastic side with pliers or a small bench vice to minimize the possibility of the kite itself moving on you causing you to slip.
Michel

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 02:34 AM »

Many thanks for your answers and tips my friends.  Cool

[...] I may have some of these laying around if you are determined to get a matched set.

That would be very fine. PM sent.

Looking a bit closer at your pic that fitting is not put on with a pop rivet.  It looks more like a snap type fitting.

Do you mean that the Big Easy piece could work like the R-SKY's sail stand-off ?

R-SKY sail stand-off
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:41 PM »

Yep they are similar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change