GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 09:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair shop near Houston?  (Read 829 times)
stuntkiter
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 04, 2011, 07:37 PM »

Anyone have a recommendation on a repair shop near Houston (ideally near west suburb)? I've got someone who had their upper spreader come out and puncture their Zephyr sail. Bummer.

Britt O'Halloran
Crystal Lake, IL
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:30 AM »

Wow this is the first I've ever heard of a US coming out other than in disassembly.  Did he not have it in right or did it actually break?

As for a repair shop near Houston I can't find any.  There are a couple sail shops in the gulf area but if they will repair it is another question.  If you can post up a pic of the damage I can advise you on how to repair it.
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 05:42 AM »

Sadly, there are only 2 kite shops in the Houston Area.
Rick's Darts & Games (Westheimer/Beltway 8 ) and Kites Unlimited in Galveston.
Call Rick before you go over there - he has limited supply.

Do you know what size the 'wrapped carbon' US is?
I'm local to you and may have something for you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:40 AM by spence602 » Logged

Spence
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 07:22 AM »

Call/email Prism

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:44 AM »

Tedlar

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
stuntkiter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:53 AM »

Thanks everyone - knew I'd get some good responses here. From what he told me the US didn't break, it actually came out. Frame is still intact. Apparently it was in 30 mph winds in Galveston.

I of course recommended tedlar first, but he said it's a pretty big tear and wanted it sewn up right. I think having it sent back to Prism is his best bet.

Britt O'Halloran
Crystal Lake, IL
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:55 PM »

Well if he was flying the Zeph in 30 mph he's lucky to still have a kite.  If you send it to Prism depending on the tear they will do a Tedlar tape repair.  IF its  really bad they will probably sell him another sail.  He will have to be prepared to be without the kite for at least 3 weeks.  PRism will not replace sail panels as its not cost effective for them to do that type of repair.  Make sure you call and talk to Sandy or BRent and they will get you on the right track with what you need to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography