GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 10:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying west of Portland  (Read 5372 times)
Stevo
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: April 21, 2009, 05:16 PM »

Hello All,

A while back (as in the old forum) I mentioned that I was moving up to Hillsboro, OR, just outside of Portland.  Well, now that it's nice here, time to fly.  I got some good advice on where to fly around Portland, but after trekking to Delta Park a couple of times I've decided I won't fly as much if I have to drive 45 mins to the field.

Is there anybody on here who flys in or around the Hillsboro area?  Any suggestions for fields?  I'd love to fly on the fairground's fields, they're really perfect, but being across from the hillsboro airport I'm guessing I can't.  Especially since I mostly love to fly single lines.

And while we're at it, how about favorite beaches to fly at on the coast?  Any you can drive onto?  I usually hate to fly on sand, but when in Rome...

Maybe I'll meet some more of you soon,
Stevo
mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:09 PM »

Locally I can't help you but dang Long Beach, Wa is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from you, no better place and it's part of the state highway system so the whole 27 miles is accessable by car. I know that's a weekend trip most likely but worth it. Now since your close you really should try to make it to WSIKF if your an SLK'er.

Contact the AOK (Associated Oregon Kiters) i'm sure they have members in your area and probably some local events, they are pretty active, also the WKA (Washington Kitefliers Assoc) I know they have members in Vancouver.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:16 PM »

Rod Thrall used to live in Hillsboro (or was it Aloha?).
If Rod is flying in that area I guarantee you won't miss him.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:59 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:29 PM »

Rod's in Newberg. Just south of Hillsboro.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
SKITCH

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:48 PM »

You won't have ANY problem finding folks to give you advice in that area. Every flier I met up there was more than happy to help out.  Just get out there and meet a few people.  Post on a couple different forums and you'll get all you need!!

YES....go to Long Beach...often, very often.......really  Cool

Email Amy Doran up there....your AKA Regional...she can put you in touch with fliers and get you hooked up with the Westport Windriders!  They meet monthly at the beach and know the people. (They also host a great festival.) You might also want to get in touch with Marla Miller..Region 10 Director. 

http://www.aka.kite.org/

Are you a member of AKA?  Good resource.

Enjoy the wind...
P

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
Stevo

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:54 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys!  I'll definitely check out Long Beach, hadn't realized it was so close.  Seems like there's lots of good beach flying for the weekends, now to find something a little closer for after work  Smiley

Stevo
DGomberg

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:10 AM »

Long Beach is super!

But heck -- Seaside is 45 minutes closer. It probably isn't any further than Delta Park for you!

Come to the beach!!

David

mikenchico

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:01 PM »

Long Beach is super!

But heck -- Seaside is 45 minutes closer. It probably isn't any further than Delta Park for you!

David

Only reason I left off Seaside is he wanted to drive onto the beach, Unless there's access I'm not aware of it's a long walk to the beach there if you don't get lucky with parking. I will admit I haven't fully explorered Seaside though, after a 10 hour drive already if I'm that close I'm going to Long Beach and with some Steppenwolf or Zep on the CD I'll do it in 30 minutes  Grin

Heck Dave your stomping grounds is a long day trip too for him and he'll pass by some of the best ocean views known and a dozen other nice places to fly.

Man your surrounded by some of the best scenery in the world up there all accessable with a day trip, get out there and explore Stevo, I'm envious.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
EBGB

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:14 PM »

Just North of the main access/turnaround in Seaside is a nice little parking lot with beach acess. I think access was off of 10th or 11th. It's about where the sport kite fields were when Nationals was there in 2004.
The average tourist would have no idea that it's there.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
kjdubuque

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 03:51 PM »

There is a decent field/park south of the Streets of Tannasbourne.  It's just a large grassy field with a few man made ponds in the middle of it but there is a small, and i mean small, hill that I fly on.  If the wind is coming from the north it can be pretty nice but most of the time it's bumpy inland wind.  But it's right across the street from my office so it's easy lunch time flying.

Kris
Stevo

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 06:43 PM »

Hey Kris,

That's actually pretty close to where my new office will be too, I'll have to check it out.  I'm going to be in the old OGI campus if you know where that is.

Stevo
rodbuggy

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 09:14 PM »

Haven't been around for a few days and jsut saw this thread.  The field Kris metioned is right next to OGI.  Head Sout on Cornelius PAss Road just South of Baseline and there is a field at Brown Junior High where the wibds aren't bad for inland.  If you head down to Seaside head North out of town and take a left on 12th St.  Nice spot to fly at the end with a public rest room.  If you want to drive on the beach head a bit further North past Gearhart and look for the Del Rey Beach access.  Make the turn and drive right out there.  You can drive all the way up the beach to Sunset Beach access about 6 miles or on up to Fort Stevens State Park.  There are beach accesses at both those spots too.  At Sunset you will be likely to run into the kite buggy crowd. 

Or you can come over the hill to Newberg and we can fly in the school athletic field at the end of my block.  Lincoln City will be holding their Summer Kite Festival the last weekend of June.  Come on down and meet some of the local flyers.  Or drop me a line and maybe we can take a day trip.
SKITCH

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:22 PM »

Stevo,

You really need to make it to the Lincoln City Summer Kite Fest.  Look it up now and make sure you can get it in your schedule.  You will meet a lot of people.

P

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
Stevo

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:31 PM »

Oh man, if you really can fly in that field, that's awesome! I can just walk across the parking lot at lunch or after work Cheesy

As for the beach flying, I can't wait to try some of those places, I may even get back into buggying...it's been ages.

Lincoln City's kite fest is definitely on my calendar, along with others...there sure are a lot of festivals up this way, I guess that's a good thing  Tongue

Stevo
rodbuggy

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42 PM »

Another spot that comes to mind if you head to the coast.  Turn South on 101 and drive down to Cannon Beach.  About the same distance as to Seaside. Take the furthest South exit and you will find yourself at Tolavana Beach.  There is a big parking lot there with public restrooms and a Mo's restaurant right next to it.  A really good spot to eat on the way back or on the waay down is Camp 18 0n Hwy 26.  You'll see it on the way down.  Great food and a nice atmosphhere.  It is a bit pricey but you will never walk out hungry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change