GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Information on Lines to use with TOTL Hawaiian Team Kite  (Read 1789 times)
gwreck
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 07, 2011, 09:20 PM »

Hello Everyone,
I'm relatively new to the forum and a newbie.  Actually a raw rookie to stunt kite flying - I can do the basic left and right turns, a loop the loop or two, and a relatively straight line parallel to the ground - but not too close.  I want to learn more, but don't have much time.
Anyway, I recently bought a TOTL Hawaiian Team Kite in Rainbow Chevron.  It was on the local craigslist at a ridiculously good price, so I couldn't resist the opportunity to own a classic kite.  However, it was only the kite, no lines.  And I haven't found what weight and length lines to use on the kite.
Also, from what I've read on the Forum and elsewhere, I gather that the TOTL Hawaiian Team Kite can be a really strong puller.  So I'm wondering if maybe I should put it away until I become a better pilot.  Or perhaps offer it on the Swap Meet to someone who may appreciate it even more, or be better able to fly it.
Any comments, help, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:06 PM »

Well if you want to offer it up at a ridiculously good price, I might be interested

As far as pull, it will drag you around in a strong wind, but it will fly great

recommend 150# line

Does it have whiskers? (stand offs)

Welcome to the addiction

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:14 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

coop
Trade Count: (+23)

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16 AM »

I use 150# for mine.
I would also be interested if you offered it up. Smiley

Tappin on my EVO

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
hawk

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:30 AM »

Ha... I might be interested too if the sales fell thru. Wink

I'm using #200 though.
kiteking

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:31 PM »

I like to use lighter line, my thought is I would rather break a line than the kite.

BTW, I have only broke a line one time while straight flying, and that was with some line that was 12-15 years old.

I have crossed line with others, that resulted in a cut line

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32 PM »

200 lb I think was the recommended line weight on those, we used 150 feet of 200 lb Kevlar before Spectra was available. You should be fine with 150 lb in reasonable winds and you'll get more use out of them. If you have the stock lines from your Hypnotist (150lb x 85') hook it up as long as the wind isn't real strong, I'd prefer longer (see below) but they'll work to get it in the air.

I would consider 100-120+ foot lines if you have the room to fly them, the kite is most enjoyable with a large window. I've flown one on lines as short as 50 feet and was surprised I could complete turns before finding the ground. They are not tight turning kites, although with a well timed push/pop you can pivot them somewhat like a half axel, I was doing those back in 1987 on mine.

If the kite doesn't have "Whiskers" (standoffs from the spreader to those center battens) do add them, without them the sail will luff at the edge of the window and fall out of the sky, plus the kite is very hard to relaunch once on the ground since the flat sail will not catch anything to stand back up and a 300 foot walk each time gets old fast. Give a holler if you need help adding them.

Enjoy that kite, it was probably the most influential kite ever produced and introduced so many enthusiasts to kiting. It and the TOTL Flight Squadron rode the beginnings of organized Sport Kiting pretty much dominating the sport over those first few years. They set the bar all the others had to beat. Todays kites are better but there's still nothing like the power, noise and attention that kite will get when it roars through a 300 foot ground pass.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:52 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:14 PM »

I have found this kite much more fun to fly on longer lines.  I have used 200# 150' lines as a standard for the Hawiian.  You can use shorter lines, but the kite will not pull as hard and it is an awfully big kite fly so close to you.  Everytime I hooked mine up to shorter lines, it took about two minutes to get me to switch back to longer lines.  Have fun, it is a great kite!!
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:51 PM »

I use to sell them in my kite shop and I am sure 200 lb. was what was suggested back then. 

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
kiteking

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 09:18 PM »

From the 1991 Into the Wind Cataloge

Fly with
the Best Team in the Country

The original big wing stunter, this powerful
kite is one of the best looking kites in the sky.
Sti ll the standard for maximum precision, it's a
strong pulling, moderate speed kite that's very
popular for team formation flying.
Made of lightweight nylon sailcloth and
tubular fiberglass spars, it's well reinforced at
stress points. Stand-offs give it good light wind
performance and easy self-launching.
8'-0" x 3'-10". 19.8-oz. 66/36" case and standoffs
included. Colors as shown. Use 200-lb. line.
#730 Chevron Team Kite $179

keep in mind today's lines are much better than 20 years ago

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 09:27 PM »

From the 1991 Into the Wind Cataloge

Fly with
the Best Team in the Country

The original big wing stunter, this powerful
kite is one of the best looking kites in the sky.
Sti ll the standard for maximum precision, it's a
strong pulling, moderate speed kite that's very
popular for team formation flying.
Made of lightweight nylon sailcloth and
tubular fiberglass spars, it's well reinforced at
stress points. Stand-offs give it good light wind
performance and easy self-launching.
8'-0" x 3'-10". 19.8-oz. 66/36" case and standoffs
included. Colors as shown. Use 200-lb. line.
#730 Chevron Team Kite $179

keep in mind today's lines are much better than 20 years ago

Pretty sure 200 pounds weighs the same as it did 20 years ago Tongue Tongue Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document