GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a low wind kite  (Read 2801 times)
aaron j.
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: June 07, 2011, 06:25 PM »

Hello my name is Aaron and I am a kite addict. lol
As stated in my subject I am looking for a low wind kite. In the last two weeks I have bought two kites, a Prism Nexus and Hypnotist. I would like to stay in the Prism line for now. I am new to kiting but not to hobbies, I have been racing RC cars for 15 years and I can fly RC helicopters and airplanes, so I have pretty good hand eye coordination.

What would YOU recommend? I am looking at either a 4D or a Zephyr.
Has anybody owned both a 4D and Zephyr that could help me make this decision?

Thanks,
                                                                                              Aaron
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:08 PM by aaron j. » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:47 PM »

Check out the SUL mongoose in the swap.

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:53 PM »

The 4D is a good low wind kite, but it is very small in comparison to most sport kites.

Most fliers tend to enjoy kites in the 7 to 8 foot region (2.1 to 2.5 meters).

The Zephyr is not really a low wind kite.

You don't really say the wind range you are looking for.

The SUL Mongoose posted above would be a kite much more suited to low wind flying.

You might also let us know what your present kite skills are.

And, welcome to the Forum.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:41 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
aaron j.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:02 PM »

Thanks for the fast replys! Im looking for low wind I guess 1-4mph. I have a great flying field right off a big river 15 mins from my apartment. I was let down yesterday and was not able to fly my existing 2 Prisms. My skills so far are the basics, I trying to pace myself. I can land, do push and pull turns and some ugly backspins. I am getting Dodd Gross's flight school tonight from a friend and plan on watching it over and over again. Should I stay with Prism kites or try other kites too?
cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:13 PM »

Try other kites aaron I started. With prism. Since you have my hypnotist you know that. But I went into skyburner and other brands. I have a sul called a hq baby tana 2002 it's. A smaller kite you can have if u want.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:36 PM by cgregurich73 » Logged

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15 PM »

Prism makes a good "entry level" kite.
A BMK like the SUL Mongoose mentioned is an large step up the quality ladder.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
aaron j.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:18 PM »

Thank you Denny,
I looked at the mongoose for sale but I am a little scared of the rip in the sail, would the kite turn into a money pit?
cgregurich73

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:37 PM »

ripps can be a common thing in kiting if they are fixed correctly you will
 have a problem with it.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
aaron j.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54 PM »

Thank you Chris for the replys also. I really enjoy having two kites that fly so different. The hypnotist I bought from you is a lot more tame than my smaller nexus, I can only imagine how a small kite like the micron would zip around. Grin 
cgregurich73

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:00 PM »

microns are wicked fast but fun as hell to fly i know last week at the weekly fly i try to go to they were flying them because of thirty five mph gust.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:03 PM »

Yes we were. One gust was so big it took the lower spreader clear off the kite. Cheesy hhahaahha

Aaron, the Mongoose rip isn't on the 'sail'-- it's on a reinforcement. If you aren't doing roll-ups, you aren't going to have a problem. And if you want to do them eventually, then if you put a black patch over it, you'll be set to go. I've done it on a few of my kites, and they're just fine.

Welcome to kiting!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
aaron j.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 08:28 PM »

Sorry about that adx1952, hope I did not offend you with my mixed up terms. It is a very nice looking kite. I have to watch how much I spend cause my gf's birthday is coming up in a week, don't want to make her any madder than she already is over my kite buying spree.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:06 PM »

WEll if you want to stick with prism then go for the 4D first.  It will do you a lot better in the 0-4 range but it is a small kite.   Comparable to the nexus in size.  The Zephyr is not a true UL but it will fly and trick in 2-3 once you get use to it.  Light wind flying is a different aspect of kiting than your used to so it will be a new learning curve.  YOur Hypnotist will fly in as low as 3 mph with the right lines and bridle adjustments but its a bit of work to keep it up.  IF your expecting to get a kite that will fly in 1-3 without any footwork then your options are limited.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 05:13 AM »

HQ Shadow?   It'll certainly cover 1 (ish) - 4 mph easily enough.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 12:23 PM »

Thank you Denny,
I looked at the mongoose for sale but I am a little scared of the rip in the sail, would the kite turn into a money pit?

I wouldn't worry about that repair Aaron. Its not likely to cause you any problems.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document