GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many is too many? Yup, another kite hehe.  (Read 5550 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 06:09 AM »

In the past I have bought sold and swapped a LOT. If I had kept every kite I'd probably have about 120, but I've almost never had more than about 30 at any given time. I've had a lot of cheap wierd old kites, so my total investment is pretty low.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 06:16 AM »

I'd say it depends on your goals.
You can be really average on a lot of kites.
Or really good on a few.
Or you can be like me. Really average on a few.  Sad
I'm down to these 4 now.   

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 06:29 AM »

Getting "good" has never been a goal for me. Flying a lot of different kites is a big part of the fun.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 07:35 AM »

@chilese- Do I see a Ying-Yang in there? I have always wanted one. How does it fly? I found a site that has one for $69 brand new.

We have one, Rhonda liked them too especially the one with the rainbow applique and I had always found them interesting. They are a nice flying kite, don't be expecting a trick monster though. For a little old school flying and having something that stands out from the rest they are worth the $70 investment IMO

But then we have never successfully counted all of our kites, bedtime always comes around before all the bags are looked into  Cheesy  no really, we hit like something like 200 or 250 once but that was estimating what might be in the bags and fighter kite boxes we didn't get to, we have added more since that last attempt. Living just miles from the "Kite Pusher" makes it far too easy.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:51 AM »

On the Yin-Yang, I've got one as well:

As Mike says, not a trick monster, but a nice kite to fly, different, and it looks really sharp in the sky. Very large wind window, as the two spines bend outward when the wind picks up (sort of a rudimentary variable vent system).

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 07:58 AM »

Here is a link to some of my collection

I have not yet got pictures of my newest stacks, lets see thats one with 11 kites, and another with 4 so far, looking for 2 more, Oh and the 2 kites I got in the mail the other day totals 17 kites last couple of weeks

My kite storage/transport   

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:04 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Danno419

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 08:04 AM »

Uhmmm, anyone know the number for kitaholics anonymous?

403-200-0342
This may or may not be my phone number... but they guy on the other end will certainly take your heavy load of kites off your hands.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07 AM »

Stacks count as one kite.  Wink

If we're adding in SLKs, thing get complicated. Adding in retired kites, parts kites or broken kites also skews the numbers.

If I had to ad up everything that could fly on any number of lines with reasonable repair, I'd need more time...

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 09:15 AM »

The question is not How many is too many, the question is how many can you get away with telling your wife/girlfriend/partner that you have! The Other Place has a 'Library' where you can borrow kites for month to try before you buy.  This is wonderful, because when a new kite arrives you just say "Oh it's Ok Dear, I've only borrowed it from the Library" and after a month She's forgotten about it!! Wink Wink

How many you can get away with +1
it also helps to not store them all in the same place and have kites in similar colors; " No honey you have seen this blue one before, don't you remember?"
Do you count stacks as 1 kite or many?
My friends and relatives ask all the time how many i have? My stock answer is "some", a realisitic number is probably sompleace in the 20s. By the time you get a stds, ul, sul and high wind kites they add up, but they dont eat anything, store in a relatively small space and do hold their value to a degree.

Being that i have been reminded so clearly as of late; life is too short, enjoy every minute!  so if that means more kites, so be it
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:18 AM by DD » Logged

Sine Metu!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 09:18 AM »

too many kites may be when you lose track of them and start getting them into kite bags or ski bags or other large bags and can't keep track of the bags....or that may be too many..

Too many is when you have a ten X fifteen storage half full and haven't taken the time to document which ones are where? (home or storage)

Sorry Allen, but stacks don't count as one as long as all the kites in the stack have their own bridles..............if they don't, well then, ok......agreed.....................

Just for informational purposes the only kites we count are sport kites............if we got into SLKs, lifters, and any line laundry that could fly on it's own, well then, you know........................., it would probably be rubber room time.    (honestly......we could quit......anytime)   Tongue

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 09:34 AM »

My wife let's me buy all the kites I want. She is always looking for an excuse to start another round of Revenge Shopping.  Embarrassed

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 10:29 AM »

Sorry Allen, but stacks don't count as one as long as all the kites in the stack have their own bridles..............if they don't, well then, ok......agreed.....................

For spousal relations or 12 step group purposes, anything that goes up in the air as one clump is a single kite.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 10:34 AM »

Getting "good" has never been a goal for me. Flying a lot of different kites is a big part of the fun.

I suppose I could clarify:

Though I've probably flown 100 sport kites in the last ten years, I'd say 75% of my total flying time has been on just 5 kites.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 10:55 AM »

Life if too short to worry about too many!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Stickman

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 04:47 PM »

The best and least "troublesome" approach I find is don't count-that way you can always be candid. So I really can't recall.

"Breaking sticks is part of the process"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography