GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 02:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many is too many? Yup, another kite hehe.  (Read 5567 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 06:46 PM »

Stacks count as one kite.  Wink

Hah!  My thoughts exactly!

I was up to about 50 or so the other day, but then I stacked my 4 Microns and it became 47.   Wink

The Laser 9 stack also only counts as one kite, I swear!

-Mike
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:47 PM by Smeagol » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 06:56 PM »

Yeah. That stack is one kite........i have about10 duals..6 quad lines...53lines....and somewhere around 100-150 singlelines...........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 09:10 PM »

I have 25 Duals, 2 quads and 10 singles.  Still looking for more.  I am easing back a bit however, being a little more selective. I find that I fly the appropriate kite the conditions call for. Having good winds here most of the year, they all get a work out. There are some that I fly more than others. All get flown, at one point or another as each is special and has it's own characteristics.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20 PM »

You know you have too many when you discover kites that you didn't even remember you had   Or go to sell a kite and then discover you never even flew it.
I realized I was out of control when I started referring to my "collection" by volume rather than quantity.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53 PM »

Getting "good" has never been a goal for me. Flying a lot of different kites is a big part of the fun.

I got scolded for just wanting to try a bunch of other kites and not caring about getting good. 

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 12:35 AM »

Getting "good" has never been a goal for me. Flying a lot of different kites is a big part of the fun.

Well there is a difference in being "good" depending on who you talk to. Basic flying skill is a necessity to truly enjoy a kite. 

THe hard part for a new flier is not going hog wild buying a bunch of kites and ending up frustrated to the point of not wanting to fly or with a bag of broken kites cause they jumped in too fast.  I've seen it plenty of times and I'm sure others have seen it too so the tendency, at least for me,  is to push new fliers to get a good handle on the basics before moving on to buying more kites.  The better you are with what you have the better you can appreciate what a new kite can give you IMO.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 03:21 AM »

You know you have too many when you discover kites that you didn't even remember you had   Or go to sell a kite and then discover you never even flew it.
I realized I was out of control when I started referring to my "collection" by volume rather than quantity.

But steve you and i both know that gets compunded when you work at a shop....many times a demokite would accidently(i swear) get left in one of my bags and iwould find it months later..........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 07:52 AM »

Yeah. That stack is one kite.......

I agree if you buy the kite as a stack

But if you buy individual kites, and then make pigtails, and stack lines, then attach the kites together, fly, tune, fly again, tune again....oh, they each have their own bridle too

Then you should be able to count the kites as more than 1

So, I will count my 7-stack of Nexus as 3, my 12 stack of Peter Powells as 2 (2-sixpacks)

but my 5 stack of Griffins (+1 maybe) took over 15 years to get them all, that should count as 5

but if you guys think they only count as one then I wont need a calculator to add them

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 08:07 AM »

I count a stack as a single kite if I bought the stack the way it is, and if I would only be able to fly the individual kites once I make bridles for them. On the other hand, kites I can fly on their own, and decide to stack later on, count as separate kites.

So .... my Micron 5-stack was bought as a stack, and 4 of the 5 kitelets don't have their own bridles, so that stack is a single kite in my book. On the other hand, my Little Beast and Beast II count as two kites, as they have their own bridles and are flown individually, even though I do fly them as a stack every once in a while.

kiteking

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40 AM »

Stack, stacks, stacking... what is a stack

If I order a stack of pancakes and the plate comes with 3-4 pancakes, do I tell my wife I only had 1 pancake

in that case I have 3 pancakes please

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 09:00 AM »

If you refer to the Prism website.....

http://www.prismkites.com/products-sk-nexus-5-stack.php

It seems Mr. Reed "features" the stack as having 5 kites.

Frankly, I agree with him and Mike.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 09:42 AM »

I have 3 kites...

My NewTech Techno... (first kite I ever bought)
Jest of Eve Talon UL... (second kite I bought)
... got bit by a dog...
Skydog Crossfire... (bought as a replacement while I wait for my Talon to get fixed)
I currently have a Premier Widow Maker Nitro as well (this one was loaned to me while my Talon is being fixed by a member of this forum)
I will get more as I need them. I think it is about time to get a SUL of some kind, and a VENT as well.  Grin

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 09:44 AM »

I got scolded for just wanting to try a bunch of other kites and not caring about getting good. 

Most people fly kites for fun. Nobody should dictate what you need to do to be having fun. For some people the building of skill and ability is most of the fun. For some people striving to be the best on the field is what it takes to have fun. Internet kite videos have made it hard for a lot of people to have fun. What you're seeing the kite doing is often so abstracted from the whole flying experience that it's counter productive. People spend a huge amount of time trying to make their kite do stuff they see in videos and miss out on a lot of fun.

Fly for fun. If fun is several kites, go for it. If you're not having fun, do something different. Fly a single kite for a while. Or forever if that's what floats your boat. Follow the fun.

After 13 years at this, I'm not a good flyer by any standard you see on the internet. I couldn't make a video people would want to watch. But I am very good at the kind of flying I think is fun. I've spent huge amounts of time on a single kite and I've had periods where I flew lots of kites. There are reasons for both. Depends on what's fun.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DWayne

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 11:43 AM »

Most people fly kites for fun. Nobody should dictate what you need to do to be having fun.

+1 I couldn't agree more.

After 13 years at this, I'm not a good flyer by any standard you see on the internet. I couldn't make a video people would want to watch.

Having watched you fly on more than one occasion I respectfully disagree.

But I am very good at the kind of flying I think is fun. I've spent huge amounts of time on a single kite and I've had periods where I flew lots of kites. There are reasons for both. Depends on what's fun.

And again, we're back in agreement.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Flying High
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 04:16 AM »

Hi Everyone,

To many kites is when you buy a kite when your wife doesn't know about it and you let your children convince her that you have had it for a at least a year. If you buy two custom kites that look the same but are actually different- again so the wife doesn't know!! Oh bugger, I think I have to many, over 35 but I do enjoy them!!! The trick is don't ever admit to the number but just say your still learning to be the master [ to your wife ] it's a hard road that we all must travel. I must admit I have some awesome kites and I love them. LOL.!!!!! I think that's the point we are trying to make.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography