GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 01:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many is too many? Yup, another kite hehe.  (Read 6514 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 10:27 PM »

I had some down time, so I made a Zippy8-esq spreadsheet.   Smiley

Here's what I found:

I've owned 140 sport kites, representing 86 different models from 34 manufacturers since 1998.

I never flew 10 of them. 25 were flown only once or twice.

10 models account for 75% of the total air time, represented by 40 different kites.

Of those 40, 6 individual kites did the majority of the work.

So, I've played with a lot of kites, but spent a huge amount of time on just a few.

Lots of other interesting stuff on the list. Out of 86 models there are about 30 that I can say I really like a lot and less than 10 that I wouldn't bother flying again. As a dividing line between new and old, only 10 of the kites on the list were designed to backspin. 52 of 86 had wrapped frames. 28 models have single standoffs.

It goes on and on...   Roll Eyes

Allen, AKA kitehead
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 07:36 PM »

One thing that I find interesting about this poll, is that there are several people who have kites that they will count, but fly them only seldom, if at all.  Are they possibly interested in selling them on the swap meet?  I personally would not purchase a new kite that I had not heard of, or had the chance to fly before I purchased.  I was lucky enough to know the local kite shop owner, when I was in my early years of flying and I would get to check out the kites, that just came in, to see what I thought.  I knew what I wanted when I purchased mine. It almost sounds like buying a new cd, just because you like the band, then it turns out to be their worst ever cd, or you might get lucky and get their new best cd.  I am sure that there are some eager members on this site that would likely be interested in some of the seldomly flown kites sitting in seldom opened kite bags.  Just a thought.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 03:33 AM »

One thing that I find interesting about this poll, is that there are several people who have kites that they will count, but fly them only seldom, if at all.  Are they possibly interested in selling them on the swap meet?  I personally would not purchase a new kite that I had not heard of, or had the chance to fly before I purchased.  I was lucky enough to know the local kite shop owner, when I was in my early years of flying and I would get to check out the kites, that just came in, to see what I thought.  I knew what I wanted when I purchased mine. It almost sounds like buying a new cd, just because you like the band, then it turns out to be their worst ever cd, or you might get lucky and get their new best cd.  I am sure that there are some eager members on this site that would likely be interested in some of the seldomly flown kites sitting in seldom opened kite bags.  Just a thought.

Over at the Other Place there is a lending library of kites....it is a good idea but someone needs to run it......
I know that I liquidated the sport kites I need flew.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 07:23 AM »

In my case the swap meet was great for trying out kites. I'd wait for a bargain to come along, snap it up and give it a go and then put it back on the swap for what I paid for it ( unless it's value had dropped due to wear or other factors). I was essentially renting the kite for the cost of shipping.

This doesn't work as well with modern high end kites and generally is more difficult these days as there are fewer buyers.

But it works. I've sold 100 kites and operated on a very small budget.

There are some folks who just don't sell kites much. Or some who eventually sell a huge number all at once.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteclique
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41 AM »

Or some who eventually sell a huge number all at once.

Yeah, surely 'bout time JimB had another purge eh ?

-Frazer
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10 AM »

This was too many for me:-
However it represents a fraction of what I've owned over the years. I too attempted a zippy8-esque spreadsheet (but altogether more authentic) and, having completed it, busied myself with other things. Then I remembered one more kite that I hadn't put on the list so returned to update it. By the time I'm got to the PC, I'd thought of another three and by the time the spreadsheet had loaded, a further four.

At that stage I gave up. Safe to say a lot of kites have passed through my hands and most of the time I've had "too many". When I find I have a kite that I haven't flown for years, has no prospect of being flown any time soon and plenty of similar alternatives.... I begin to wonder why I have it. And so I then try to sell it someone who might find a better use for it. Any money received then goes back into a "new" kite.

"Too many" isn't a number, it's a state of mind  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32 AM »

Bought over 100 kites. Kept an average of around 30 for a long time. Now I have only 4 left..The ones that I fly all the times. When they will wear off I'll see what's new on the market at the time and replace it. So 2 std 1ul and 1 sul is in the bag now...(I must add that there's a few I should have kepted Cry

The new Frank!
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54 PM »

I keep a spreadsheet as well - I keep spreadsheets for lots of things, though.

27 kites on the list at the moment (24 dualies, 2 quads, 1 SLK).  I also have a separate sheet on the 'Kite Inventory' doc for a 'line set' spreadsheet (17).

I think I may have too many, as I definitely do not fly all of them.  I pretty much stick to about four stds, two ULs and two SULs. 

I can think of a handful that should probably go up on the Swap Meet, but nothing that would get anybody salivating probably.

Here's a few out of my A bag.  Kinda have a thing for yellow kites...

kiteclique
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 01:43 PM »

I keep a spreadsheet as well - I keep spreadsheets for lots of things, though.

27 kites on the list at the moment (24 dualies, 2 quads, 1 SLK).  I also have a separate sheet on the 'Kite Inventory' doc for a 'line set' spreadsheet (17).

I think I may have too many, as I definitely do not fly all of them.  I pretty much stick to about four stds, two ULs and two SULs. 

I can think of a handful that should probably go up on the Swap Meet, but nothing that would get anybody salivating probably.

Here's a few out of my A bag.  Kinda have a thing for yellow kites...

You'll find you have room for more kites if you store them disassembled.

-Frazer
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52 PM »

Or you'll end up storing them in the back yard like Mike.   Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2011, 03:37 PM »

Or you'll end up storing them in the back yard like Mike.   Cheesy
That is free range kiting!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2011, 03:52 PM »

They do look healthy!

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2011, 07:37 PM »

The biger issues speaks to how much wind speed an mood. If you like a particular flavor of kite you tend to get an assortment of wind varietys. Then there are the extreme wind kites; alot or nothing that will fly but maybe not trick. Then there are the kites for show and arm stretching. You mix all that in with some old skool stuff that may not be worth parting with on the swapmeet and you easily have 20 kites.

My question is  do free range kites seem leaner and do they cross pollinate?

Sine Metu!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum