GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vapor resto project  (Read 3059 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 10:37 PM »

Thanks John.  I do enjoy a challenge and bringing back a classic is kind of fun.  Some kites are worth the effort to restore if at all possible.

Anthony has great ideas, he brought my shiva strong back to life.
NOw the real challenge is bringing you desire to fly back to life Tongue  Hows that repair working or have you flown it yet?
Ca Ike

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 02:31 PM »

The final details

Since there are lots of threads on sewing sails I won't go into that but I will note a few small changes I made from factory.  Originally the leading edges were sewn on with a straight stitch.  I opted for the 3-step zig zag instead.  I should also note that when working with mylar, especially these monofilms, seam tape is a must (i used C-3).  THe tape will strengthen the seam helping prevent the mylar from tearing at the stitching.  Also when you use anything other than a 3-step on mylar do not use a stitch length less than 2, any shorter and you risk stress tearing of the mylar (think perforated paper).

LE stitching by Ca Ike, on Flickr

I was also able to resurrect the sail markings by putting a bright white piece of paper behind the sail to help bring out the sigs and carefully tracing them with a fine tip felt pen. 

Vapor sigs by Ca Ike, on Flickr

The last detail I added, and anyone with a vapor will understand why,  is small pieces of heat shrink tubing over the adjustment knots at the center T.  These knots are notorious for pulling out of the T and the heat shrink helps lock them in place.

Adjuster knots by Ca Ike, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:46 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 02:47 PM »

The unveiling

And without further ado, or work on my part Tongue,  Here is the vapor all finished and restored.

restored vapor by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Vapor full by Ca Ike, on Flickr

And my mint purple vapor for comparison.

Prism Vapor by Ca Ike, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:49 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 04:00 PM »

Great work!! The Vapor has been brought back to life and it seems like new now  Grin Very well done!

Just a question, what did you use as leading edge, icarex, spinnaker, other?  And which width is it?

Thanks,
Paolo
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 05:08 PM »

<applaudes on a job well done>

Excellent work, an inspiration to all.
Ca Ike

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 05:25 PM »

Great work!! The Vapor has been brought back to life and it seems like new now  Grin Very well done!

Just a question, what did you use as leading edge, icarex, spinnaker, other?  And which width is it?

Thanks,
Paolo
  I was able to save the original LE material which is a 2 inch wide black Texlon polyester.  There was just a few small wear spots I put Tedlar on but other than that the material was fine.  If you have to replace it I'd use icarex to keep a similar material.  Don't use dacron tape though if you have to do any LE repairs, since its a polyester LE material the Tedlar works (and looks) better.
<applaudes on a job well done>

Excellent work, an inspiration to all.
  THanks AE.  I thought about making templates for the rest of the panels while I was at it but I'd have to talk to Mark before going as far as being able to make complete new sails.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 11:03 PM »

Excellent!

How much does it weigh compared to stock?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51 AM »

Excellent!

How much does it weigh compared to stock?

Its about 5.8 oz give or take a couple grams.  Stock I believe ranged from 5.4 -6.2 oz.  Hard to get an accurate weight on my lil scale and I don't have a hanging scale anymore.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 01:45 PM »

Awesome job!  I owe you bigtime, heh.  Smiley

I have a cheapy Harbor Freight digital scale that work pretty well, I've weighed a few kites with it so far just for ballpark weights.  Seems fairly accurate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

-Mike
Ca Ike

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 01:57 PM »

Hehe, same scale I have.  SHould make a stand for the kites since holding them assembled changes the accuracy a few grams.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:00 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 03:04 PM »

Just roll the kite up and lay in on the scale long ways. Factor in the weight of the rubber band or velcro or whatever is keeping it rolled up if it's an SSUL and every gram is accounted for.

For weighing spars and other parts, you really need a scale with 1/10th gram resolution. To get a scale that can measure a whole kite and still measure tenths cost a bit more, but I got a fairly nice 1000 gram scale through amazon for about $30 which has a nice large flat surface, about 6" square.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:08 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change