GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 11:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so far -not a big fan  (Read 2130 times)
johnsown48
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 04, 2011, 10:25 AM »

So far I would have to say I'm not a big fan of the hq session 1.1. Seems to either pull hard or not at all. Takes large inputs, spins very slowly, at least on a pull spin, and seems to want to go wherever it wants. The weirdest thing , though, was when I was flying straight across the window, in one direction , my right hand had to be 6 inches behind my left to stay level; in the other direction my left had to be slightly behind my right. This was with factory settings. In its defense, this was without the outer standoffs, which didn't come with the kite.
John
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:10 AM »

Finding new standoffs may indeed help the kite.    I would take another look at your bridle set up, and get those standoffs and you may find that you can breathe new life into it.   

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:49 AM »

The first thing that comes to mind is line length. Check the evenness of the lines, bridle etc. & make sure it's set up the same on both sides. Confirm the bridle specs with HQ's web site. The wind can effect the kite differently in opposite directions too. It's also an older design so it will not fly like current kites.

As far as flight characteristics, kites have there own feel to them. Part of the fun for me is flying and tricking to the what the kite is capable of, the kites strong points. So if the kite is slow and graceful, use it that way, if it's super pitchy then smack it around and so on.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:34 PM »

HEya John the HQ session is actually a nice kite.  A couple of things about it though.  THe kite was designed to have that outer standoff in it for a couple reasons.  The biggest reason is to shape the sail and stabilize the wingtip providing better flight stability and tracking.  THe second reason is to help tension the TE. 

You don't mention what winds you were flying in  but I can think of two reasons for you hand position discrepancy.  FIrst keep in mind that when flying across the window you will have a bit more preassure on the upper wing.  NOw without the outer stand offs preloading the wing, the sail on the upper wing is distorting creating more billow than the bottom wing hence generating more lift/drive and resulting in the kite wanting to turn toward the ground a bit.  THe second reason could be bridle related.  SOme of HQ's session kites used non spectra cored dacron bridle line which is ok but it is a bit springy and tends to stretch under load.

THe pull issue can also be caused by the missing outer standoffs.  in lighter winds or certain parts of the window, the sail isn't fully billowed out making it lighter on the lines and when you get the sail fully powered, in the center of the window or strong winds, the pull is dramatically increased.  Once you get all the standoffs in place the difference shouldn't be as dramatic.
johnsown48

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 06:18 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really sure it was even worth going to the trouble to get thte standoffs. I'll get them and give it a try. I'm prettty sure that it was the upper wing that had to be held farther back , so what Ca Ike said makes sense.  I'll give it a try. The session does look like its indestrucible, which is a good thing for me at the moment.
Thanks
John
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:12 AM »

Just by-the-by...

HQ Session is one kite, HQ Jam Session is another and the HQ Session 1.1 is a third. There was even a Session Mk. 2. Let's not start with the Obsession or City Session. If your German is up to snuff you can read about it here. Or alternatively look at the pictures.

Session to the left, Jam Session to the right.

Session 1.1

Let's ensure we're talking about the right kite each time.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
johnsown48

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:30 AM »

it was sold as Jam Session but ends up being Session 1.1
JOhn
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 10:09 PM »

I am a new fan of New Tech and HQ Kites.  My first from them was a 1.1 Vented Jam Session that although I can fly it in higher winds, I was not really that impressed with it.  It is not a terrible kite, just has some quirks. Second HQ kite was the New Jam, a much better kite.  In fact, it was the first kite that I purchased for my girlfriend, she really likes it.  However the Tramontana and the Maestrale take the cake. These are both VERY impressive, great workmanship and the quality shows on many levels. If you ever have the chance to fly one of these.... Hmmm... Just like falling in love all over again.

Happy Flying.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:37 PM by Magpiesfooty » Logged
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:07 AM »

The Jam Session is a great kite! I like the older HQ kites. I have a Passion, which is a outstanding kite, and an Obsession which is alot of fun, very fast and a bit twitchy.

But on topic, I would check your line lengths first. then the bridal, and deffinetly get those standoffs.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
johnsown48

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 05:47 AM »

I did put in the standoffs and it made a huge difference. Still pulls hard when it pulls, but that is ok. It is slow to turn, but what I like about it is that it seems pretty stable in an upright stall. Im flying it on better lines, which takes care of the uneven bit. All in all, on a fairly windy day , Im comong around to liking it.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document