GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 09:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need parts for a Hawaiian Team Kite  (Read 3599 times)
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 10, 2011, 02:57 PM »

I have a team kite sail and need to all the spars and fittings to reframe it.
Anyone have any ideas on where to find all I need?

I need everything but the bridals. Is there an alternative out there that could be used?
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:11 PM »

TOTL
Hawaiian Kites

Kite   WINGS  Material  SPINE   Material  LWSPRDR  Material  UPSPRDR Material BATTENS Material STOFF Material

Team
        65.0  .   350FG     32.5   .350FG      32.5      .337FG      22.0    .337FG     51.5    .278FG     9.0    3/32FGR

Tubing was used for the connectors, I would check with Steve, He can probably get you setup

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:03 PM »

Yep, Steve can set you up with the Fiberglass spars & the ferrules no problem, the Vinyl tubing for the connectors is harder but you can locate suitable tubing at a good hardware store if you need those. The Nock inserts and Converta Sleeves that were used on them are getting scarce though , Steve may have some still though.

Mike (kiteking) has the spec's for the pultruded carbon frame too, if you ask him sweet I bet he will look them up, then you can use APA's for the LE fittings and standard Nocks that are available still, do away with those inserts. The only problem will be the Center T but you can Fab one from an external ferrule and the appropriate size Vinyl or Superthane tubing. I probably have the right size Superthane, if you order parts from Steve I'll drop off enough to ship with your order, just let me know the OD of your spine. Another alternative would be to frame it up in P200 - P400's, Steve can set you up that way too.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:41 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
coop

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:31 AM »

Cool. Thanks guys!
I will give Steve a call today!
coop

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:51 AM »

I talked to Steve, great guy! Hes going to see what he can put together. Thanks for the info guys!
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44 AM »

The skyshark P3X would work wonders for the frame, then add some 4mm pultruded excel for the battens and you are golden.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:08 PM »

Anyone out there actually framed the Hawaiian Team in Sky Shark?  While it would certainly make finding fittings much easier the rods are better than double the price of the original framing.
If yu have done the re-frame let me know what you thought ... was it worth the extra cost?  Was the kites performance significantly improved?  How about durability?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:17 PM »

I have flown the new Team Hawaiian by Heads Up Kites. Even got an axel to fade. According to them, the change in all materials, including sail, led to a final weight around 14 ounces !!

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
coop

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:44 PM »

Does Heads up still make them? All I could find was Into The breeze, the company that makes the Jabberwoky.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:49 PM »

Heads Up Kites makes the sails for many people:

Skyburner Kites & Focus for example.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiteking

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:11 PM »

Heads Up is/was sewing the "new Hawaiian" for Chicago kites, I believe they have the current license to produce/sell the kite

I got one a couple of years ago, its very nice

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58 PM »

I framed the new one we bought that was missing the spreaders in P400's, significantly lighter and stiffer. The original K75's weighed 32.1 grams each with a deflection of .313" - P400's weigh 18 grams with a published deflection of .302" - the published figures for the P300 are 17 grams and .287" deflection. You would be safe even with P200's at 14.5 grams and .326" deflection or better yet PX2's at 15 grams and .299" deflection. Pultruded 2400's at 27.7 grams with .295" deflection and would be the closest choice to the stock stiffness and still save a little weight.

I felt the upgrade was worth the investment, that kite was originally the UL that used G50's which were extremely flexible and didn't lower the wind range significantly only saving 6 grams a spar. I saved a few ounces over the UL with the re-frame and kept the stiffness of the standard with those heavy K75's. I would do it again.

The one I just dropped off for you to look over is in line to get some of the original Black Diamond's I got from Jon T back in the early 1990's at 17.5 grams and .265" deflection, that's about inline with the custom spars Red was wrapping for the Flight Squadron for their competition kites back then.

Here's our reframe kite, original late 1980's kite purchased new in 2007, photo by John Chilese at KP6

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:54 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Benderdog

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Bringing this thread up from the grave -

Reframing a hawaiian, curious if anyone knows what the "new" chicago flavored hawaiians use for their center t issue?  Or any pics of what you have done?

Thanks!

Flying to maintain my sanity...
kiteking

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 06:50 PM »

Best picture I have available now, I can take a close-up when I return to Oregon in the middle of the month,

I know John has a picture of Pam and Mike holding one at KP, don't know if it has better detail

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Benderdog

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 09:31 PM »

Thank you sir!  Ever find out what TOTL you won in your raffle?

Flying to maintain my sanity...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document