GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet up in NYC to help a newbie out  (Read 763 times)
jaylin
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2011, 04:27 PM »

So I should be getting my first kite by next week. I was wondering if anyone can show me the basics and start me off. I live in the nyc area so I can meet anywhere from brooklyn to midtown manhattan. thanks
jaylin
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14 PM »

Hey jaylin,

I don't have the time off to get together right now, but; I will tell you that the easiest thing for you to do is head out to one of the beaches if you can. That's where the good wind is. You are not going to find very good conditions anywhere in Midtown or anywhere else in NYC besides the shore.

Having said that, I used to fly off the baseball diamond down on the Hudson in Riverside Park at 72nd Street when I was starting out. It's tight but it can be done. Best to head for Coney Island or one of the other Atlantic beaches if you can.

There used to be a guy on the forum who flew out at Coney who's name escapes me at the moment. Maybe he will chime in or some of the others in the area. Jones Beach is another spot where you might run into some folks.

Liberty State Park behind the Statue of Liberty is a local focal point for flyers, although there aren't as many get togethers there these days as there once were.

There will be a competion out there in a couple of weeks if you wanted to have a look at that.

jaylin
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:19 PM »

Thanks for the advice JimB. I was actually thinking of somewhere like central park for manhattan. I thought about coney island but it's too crowded and is flying kites at beaches allowed? I would like to go to all these places but I don't have a car lol. Embarrassed
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:05 AM »

Central Park is one of the worst places to fly, as well as not being allowed on any of the larger enclosed fields. The winds are horrible in any case.

You can fly on any open field in the NYC parks system, although people will sometimes tell you otherwise, and there are some places that are posted to that effect.

I mentioned Coney Island mainly because it is easily accessible by subway, is really huge, and has excellent wind. I don't believe it is posted, but you would want to stay well away from other beach goers. Rangers will sometimes tell you flying is not allowed, but they are basically making that up. If you are polite, know the policy and mention someone you talked to down at HQ, look like you have a clue, and are being conscientious, they will often reverse themselves.

Similarly police will often scope you out, but if you have it together, they will move on to other things.

I've flown for Years on Manhattan. You need to become familiar with what areas have good winds from which direction as most will only be flyable with the wind out a very specific place.

Inwood Hill Park on the S side is flyable with a N or NW wind and that is where I flew for Years, but then I only have Monday off. It is much too crowded on Weekends to be feasible.

Anyway, I hope we can fly together at some point and that others will speak up and lend you a hand getting started.

HTH
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:01 PM by JimB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change