GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: going away present  (Read 1284 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: July 31, 2011, 08:13 AM »

An unexpected gift was presented to me today as it is my last day here in Seattle.  A good friend and colleague (and fellow kite addict/GWTW member) surprised me with an HQ Shadow.  Moving inland may prove interesting and challenging in terms of learning the different wind patterns and their unpredictable characteristics, but I am anxious to have the Shadow in the air and predict that it will be the first of a number of kites I get out of my bag on arriving to Reno.  Perhaps it will also be the kite that opens the door to all the tricks I've been longing to learn, as I know it has been illuminating for a number of others in the world of freestyle kiting.

Stay tuned for pics of the Shadow in my new state. Thanks Jim!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:25 AM »

If you start a Shadow doing multiple high speed barrel rolls, it will rotate the spin axis until the kite nose is pointed down (so the kite is now doing a very deep backspin and the kite takes on the look of a spinning top). I've never seen any other kite do that.

Good luck with your move.

Whoever gave you the present sounds like a pretty nice kiter.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:04 AM »

Have a safe and expeditious haul down there Stephen...............and good luck with those 'inland wind' dynamics.

Looking forward to the rest of the BZaar build thread.  Let us know when you get there. (or is that arrive? )

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:20 AM »

Hey SB...
Good luck with your move... sorry to hear you're moving away from your kite buddies. At least you're not going too far inland, and I think they have a lake or something where you're going...  Roll Eyes You should be able to find wind. Hopefully you'll find someone to fly with, too.
The Shadow's a great kite on short lines, flies in next to nothing, as long as you can figure out which way the wind's going...
~Rob.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20 AM »

Good luck Stephen and enjoy the Shadow. 

I was flying mine yesterday when I realized that it is the oldest kite in my bag (it has seen many come and go).

I like it best with the leech line loose, for lots of buzz and slower rotations.  The TW comes as goes with the wind. 

I enjoyed chatting with you at Whidbey last year, any chance you will make it there this year?

6 kite tom
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:18 PM »

Good luck on your move.  Dano is out there in reno somewhere and if you get a chance to come your not all that far from our ripon fly, Steve's chico fly or JOhns vegas fly.  The only good lake to fly at that i know of is lake topaz but its been a few years since I was there last.  Dano could help you out with places to fly in reno.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:44 AM »

Whew, if Vegas is close that puts a lot of fly's in range ... LOL

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 02:55 PM »

Hehe 2.5-3 hours from ripon or chico and 4-5 from vegas according to Dano
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 03:09 PM »

Reno to Las Vegas is about the same distance as Chico to Los Angeles ... 460 miles +/-

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 03:12 PM »

Still a lot closer than if he was still in seattle Tongue
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:40 PM »

Hehe 2.5-3 hours from ripon or chico and 4-5 from vegas according to Dano

At 120 MPH   Shocked   140 with with a bathroom break, remind not to ride with Dano   Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document