GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 07:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uhhhh? One of my USB ports is "busted"  (Read 3117 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 14, 2011, 08:24 PM »

Take a look at this photo of my USB port....Somehow---someway----that teenie'weeeenie'  little black piece of plastic insert must have fallen out when I removed one of my flash drives?Huh

I had been carefully inserting my WD external hard-drive until the last time...when I started to plug in the WD hard drive..but somehow this must have caused a short "KAAAPOWW!"
SUDDENLY EVERYTHING WENT BLANK!(Somehow it must have shorted out the computer???)

I turned the computer back on and then used the other USB port that was still useable...
However now I can not remove my WD external hard drive unless I turn off the computer first?
 I keep getting a message telling me that I cannot remove it...and that little blue light bar...on the WD hard drive keeps.....BLINKING BACK N' FORTH!

We that in mind...to get it back on line again....I have to "restart" my computer in order for the WD EHD to start working again?

WONDER IF I TOASTED SOMETHING IN EITHER THE COMPUTER OR THE WD hard drive?

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:52 PM »

Not quite understanding the message about the hard drive. Is the message coming from Windows, some special WD drivers or a backup program that may be running? With the computer and the hard drive off can you remove it or is it physically stuck in the port?

Most important You didn't re-use the same cable on it that shorted did you? You should be able to pick up a replacement cable for a few bucks, don't plug the one that blew sparks into anything, go buy a new one.

Next step, do you have access to another computer to test the drive in? (After replacing the cable) I would probably use a cheap hub between the drive and the computer just to give an isolation layer or better yet replace that cable then take it to the store you bought it from and tell them you're having trouble with it and see if they'll test it ... LOL ... that's terrible I know, but it doesn't appear the problem originated with the drive.

Is this a Desktop computer or Laptop?

If it's a desktop then don't even try the installed USB port, go buy an add on usb card, install it and use it. Otherwise if you want to try the installed port test it with a cheap thumb drive or something other then your more expensive External HD with all your backups on it.

If it's a Laptop there's no way to add an inexpensive card and repair would require replacing the motherboard, cheaper to just buy a new laptop unless it's a relatively new high end laptop.

If you get lucky and that other port does work still block off that blown port so you never accidently plug anything into it.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:12 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DonCrash

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:59 AM »

Somethin looks strange bout that USB port...Its all pins, where's the block pin holders? Its what keeps people from inserting the plug in the wrong way, tho with quite a few usb ports, it was still possible to plug in upside-down since some have a very flexible block.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10 AM »

OK, I see this alot. I have a number of customers who are car dealers, and the technician laptops get thier USB plugs plugged & unplugged many times per day. The plug eventually fatigues and breaks, leaving only the metal pins to short out against the plug shell if you try to plug anything in. If the pins are touching each other, or the shell, try to bend them so they don't, obviously with the power off. Put a piece of tape over the plug, and don't try to plug anything into it in the future. If the machine is still working after shorting out the USB, use it, but keep in mind there's something wrong. There is always the possibility that if the pins touch, or touch the shell, that the machine will short out and roast the mother board.
I would add this as one more reason that you need a new machine...  Grin

Sketch

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:15 AM »

"The block pin holder?" Is that the name for the little piece of white plastic that IS MISSING from that port.

A few months ago...We had this Dell E310 Windows XP updated with more memory and ram at a local shop.
Humm?
I wonder if this perhaps could have been when the little plastic guide was lost?

Before buying the WD Notebook Home Edition External HDrive...I had been saving most of my important info and images on little flash drives....before transfering them over to the new WD drive.

The message that pops up...(appears to be from Windows?)
As soon as I click on the "Safely remove Hardware green arrow this grey note pops up saying:
Quote:
This Device WD EAVS External USB Device cannot be stopped right now. Try Stopping the device later...
(so far that seems to be the "12 of neva'-evuhhhh' Smiley?

Although I can not unlock the WD ExDr' I have been turning off the computer....before unplugging the device from the left port which other wise seems to have no problem releasing my gaggle of flash drives?

I hesitate to risk trying to plug either the WD external HDrive or even one of my cheapie little Lexar flash drive or camera card reader====into the DAMAGED RIGHT USB PORT WITH THE MISSING LITTLE PIECE OF PLASTIC.for fear of shorting out the computer again? Shocked
Taking this WD External hard drive into the store I bought it from for a test...SOUNDS LIKE REALLY GOOD ADVICE.

It would be great to see if it can be removed with out that "cannot remove" message appears on their monitor? Wink
Sketch

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:19 AM »

OK, I see this alot. I have a number of customers who are car dealers, and the technician laptops get thier USB plugs plugged & unplugged many times per day. The plug eventually fatigues and breaks, leaving only the metal pins to short out against the plug shell if you try to plug anything in. If the pins are touching each other, or the shell, try to bend them so they don't, obviously with the power off. Put a piece of tape over the plug, and don't try to plug anything into it in the future. If the machine is still working after shorting out the USB, use it, but keep in mind there's something wrong. There is always the possibility that if the pins touch, or touch the shell, that the machine will short out and roast the mother board.
I would add this as one more reason that you need a new machine...  Grin

THANKS...I JUST NOTICED THAT WHILE I WAS TYPIN'...U NAILED EXACTLY WHAT MUST HAVE HAPPENED.

SOUNDS LIKE I HAVE VIRTUALLY TOASTED MY MUTTA' MOTHER BOARD HUH?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:57 PM »

Well it sounds like your computer is still working, when you blew sparks in that other port you may have damaged the cable and Windows is simply waiting for a confirmation from the drive that never comes because because of the faulty cable. First step, a new cable from the drive to the computer.

You never said but while the drive is attached are you able to access it?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:26 PM »

Well it sounds like your computer is still working, when you blew sparks in that other port you may have damaged the cable and Windows is simply waiting for a confirmation from the drive that never comes because because of the faulty cable. First step, a new cable from the drive to the computer.

You never said but while the drive is attached are you able to access it?
The USB port on the right side is the one that is missing the little plastic tab..and I am afraid to even attempt to insert either a flash drive or my WD external hard drive into that damaged right hand USB port.
However when I now attach the WD external hard drive into the still good left hand USB port...HOWEVER....it  boots up and gains access quickly...however when I click onto the the "Safely Remove Hardware logo"....that is when I get the message informing that the WD Hdrive "cannot be stop right now. Try Stopping the device later"

My card reader and flash drive install and release with no problems.....
Do you think that perhaps the WD external cable is defective?
 For sure...CYBER LIFE SUCKS...WITH ONLY ONE GOOD USB PORT and a defective WD external hard drive? Sad
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:27 PM »

Just get a hub and plug it into that good USB port, or use some on the back of the PC.  Wink  I wouldn't use the one that's busted, you risk damaging devices that way.  Either that or bust open the PC and replaced that broken port, it's probably just a pigtail USB anyway.

-Mike
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:54 AM »

Mike is right, I was thinking this was a laptop. If it's a regular tower, open the case and disconnect the broken plug to eliminate the risk to your mother board. You are lucky it didn't damage your mother board, I've seen a few roast from this problem, never to turn on again...
As far as 'safely ejecting' your hardware... this was a lot more important in the past, but really not necessary with WinXP or newer. I just pull the plugs, as long as there isn't data being transferred at the time, it will be fine.
~Rob.

Sketch

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:55 AM »

THANKS GUYS for the good advice to an old KITE-KOOT who's puter' knowledge in FOREVER LOST IN NEWBEE CYBERSPACE.

I have taped  the defective port off until I can either have it fixed...and that suggestion to buy a "hub?" sounds like a good idea to plug into the useable left USB port?

(I notice that some are availabe with sliding switches that allow the user to lable each one...or the cheapie' $9.00 ones that have four danglee'dinglee usb ports?

(just to show how old I am..Here is a shot of my 1994  Choro winning Kathy Goodwind "Flashlight" at our annual Pacific Beach Wa. kite festival.
Gads...that was when gas was less than $2.00 a gallon.

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum