GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 03:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are There Non Rev 1.5s Out There?  (Read 3764 times)
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 01:04 AM »

FYI, Vince Maranta was the only guy I ever saw fly a Speed Series kite with true precision.

I remember in 1995 or 1996 at Berkeley, there were some real top guns in town for quad line comps, and Vince came out of nowhere and blew 'em all away fair and square, with a vented Supersonic... Fantastic, wish I had video of that now.

It's interesting though, because I believe Rev flying has taken a huge leap starting in 2006 or so... The amount of information that has been realized and made available, tuning techniques that were distributed, average skill levels and the greater range of maneuvers (patterns/direction) that fliers are doing with them... More than ever, I love looking back at the old videos in comparison - way more depth now imho.

Dual line experienced something similar with the initial proliferation of tricks in the mid to late 90s, although I think it's suffering now with a great many pilots who have skipped right past fundamental skills (precision, landings, speed control, etc) in favor of "jerking it" all day... I'd love to see more pilots with well rounded skills, especially to feed/create teams.

Just my thoughts, have at 'er. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 06:38 AM »

Short Reply:

The type of kite flying boils down to personal preferences, most frequent flying conditions, time management, and current mood. There are probably other basic considerations, but it's early and I haven't had a beer yet. Lump all that together and different folks have different strokes to get the maximum zen ... otherwise, everyone would still be driving "black Model Ts" or flying quad 1.5s.

Long Reply:

Some kite flying factors among others include:

The personal preferences list could be endless. Basically, it boils down to (1) fly to please yourself, (2) fly to please others, or (3) fly to please both.

Most frequent flying conditions are dictated by field size, location, wind patterns, number of other kite flyers, and number of other people/animals.

Time management dictates the amount of attention to detail one can afford and the type of flying one does. Some people only fly a few hours per month or year and others make it a career. Some people get to the beach's smooth winds a few days a year and others are there for many days.

Current mood boils down to flying alone or in a group (1) low, slow, and smooth, (2) high, fast, and jerky, (3) some other combination that feels good at the moment.

Different paragraphs could be written about each consideration by each flyer. We have different finger prints, different blood types, and dfferent circumstances. Some things have a lot of overlap with other people and some don't. That's what makes the world go around and why there are more quad models than just 1.5s.

Me and the dog ... home alone and unsupervised for the rainy weekend. Can you tell? Besides, I had excess analyzer genes that needed exercise, since the dog doesn't want to go for a walk. That leaves me typing, and a few bored people reading, this pooper scooper material. Ok, just me typing.

Longer Reply:

Even I am not that analytical or bored ... UNLESS you want to read about my kite flying preferences! Bueller ... Anyone! Even the dog is sleeping!

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 12:10 PM »

5 early 90's rev 2's a 'flo' colors, stackable
1 B2  Smiley
1-1.5 old school, mylar panels
1-1.5 RevPolo
1-1.5 Gonzales brothers "Celtic Cross"
1-1.5 full vent
1-1.5 20th full vent
1-Super Sonic
1-Shock Wave

"Do what you like"
LittleSkink
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 12:29 AM »

still developing my Rev flying - but it has been a slow journey as the winds round here are rubbish most of the time. Suspect my collection is not untypical of how one Rev leads to another

Started with an EXP - enjoyed it and got good at flying Revs, bit slow though
So got a Supersonic - didnt fly it much, too fast and unforgiving for the winds round here
So got a Rev 2 - love it, sometimes a bit too bonkers
So got a Rev 1.5 vent, swopped spars/tweaked etc - good and adaptable platform, even framed as UL
Then got a Rev 1 just to have one really - so graceful in the right conditions

Next purchase might be a 1.5 Baressi, but rarely have the opportunity to fly quad so unlikely for a while
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 03:00 PM »

It's not often posted here, just wanted to make sure the newbies can take a look...

http://www.learnkites.com

Lots of free tutorials there, more on the way as time allows. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change