GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are There Non Rev 1.5s Out There?  (Read 3825 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 16, 2011, 06:08 PM »

Here's the list (mostly) from the Rev site for their kite products (not counting various wind condition variants):

Rev 1.5
Rev I
Rev II
Rev EXP
Indoor
Zen
Supersonic
Shockwave
Blast
Super Blast (still around?)
Blast 2.4
Blast 4.8
UFO

Now, just what are the percentages on ownership of the various models?
I have 2 Revs so for me:
Rev 1.5 50%
Rev I    50%

Does the 1.5 account for 99% of sales? If so, why even bother with the others? From an inventory and manufacturing standpoint, it is not pragmatic to do so.

Hey Mr. Barresi, what are your percentages on the various models?

Watching the video where Vince makes his Supersonic truly dance made me wonder. Why aren't more people flying the other models?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33 PM »

Does the 1.5 account for 99% of sales? If so, why even bother with the others? From an inventory and manufacturing standpoint, it is not pragmatic to do so.

John,

Don't be asking questions like that!!!  Got to have something to dream about ... our at least something new to borrow for a flight or two.

Cheers,
Tom

My numbers ...

Rev 1.5 - 6
Rev II - 1
Rev EXP - 3
Indoor - 1
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:40 PM »

I'm probably one of the weird exceptions in that I have almost as many Speed/Power series as the regular series:

3 Rev 1.5s
1 Rev I
1 Rev II
1 Supersonic
1 Blast
1 Super Blast (still around?  Yes! Sorta  Wink)
1 Blast 4.8

I'm too lazy to do the percentages so let's just call it 5 regular vs 4 speed/power series.  Heh.

The Super Blast is basically the Power Blast 2-4.  From what I recall it came out in 2003 and was called the Super Blast, then the next year they renamed it the Power Blast 2-4 along with the Power Blast 4-8.
RevJim
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:19 PM »

I'm only two months on the dark side. So here's my little count.
1.5s  - 2 (counting the one that's bought but not here yet)
kiteslinger
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:50 AM »

I pretty much fly  my rev 2s and have more of them than any other revolution line up I have

not as precise as the 1.5 but once you become accustomed with it has it own quality

faster than the 1.5s

and I can fly a rev 2 in 2mph winds like a SUL

flick-flacks are easy to wack as well as flat spins than the 1.5s after you fly the rev 2s the 1.5 just  seems sluggish/ slow

kiteslinger
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:53 AM »

also you forgot the back-tracker and the Dodd/ rev collaboration phase 2
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34 AM »

Why aren't more people flying the other models? The 1.5 models seem to be the best entry point for new quad flyers and for team flying. Thus they get larger promotion and sales. Especially with the 2 or 3 wrap VS SLE leading edge, the 1.5 makes learning to fly quads a piece of cake. They're less sensitive to sloppy inputs. The 1.5s work great for precision, team, and mega flying. More flyers can be packed into a small area, which is great for festivals - social flying.

The speed series, power series, and other models have their own appeal for those that don't need the above characteristics. I agree with kiteslinger that compared to Rev 2s, the 1.5s are sluggish/slow - boring when you have the need for speed and not in a 1.5 mood. For those that like their independence and have room to spread out on the field, there is a market for the "other 1%" of the models. Speed and power quads take more space - anti-social flying for those on the outside looking in. However, they are social in their own way.

There's a Ying and Yang for everything. I'd guess Rev is making a profit on the non 1.5 models or they lead to other profitable sales in some way, accessories etc. Any way you slice it, kiting is a small industry for SLK, dual, quad, inflatable, glider, fighter, and other kites. From a corporate standpoint, inventory and manufacturing, none of it makes sense ... but it's done anyway. It's done for zen ... priceless.

I'm about 50/50 1.5s and non 1.5s.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:37 AM »

Neos Omega - 2
Rev 1 - 4 all Sedgwicks vented and std. sails
Rev 2 - 4
Rev 1.5 SLE - 9 mixture of std., vent, SUL
B series - 2 std. and vent
Blast - 1
Super Blast - 1
Shock Wave - 1
Super Sonic - 1
Indoor - 1
Back Tracker - 3
EXP - 1

Fairly well represented, Bs get the most airtime these days
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:38 AM by nckiter » Logged
johnfarl

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51 AM »

1.5  -  6 plus one worn out dead one
2     -  2 of which one is home made for indoor and light wind
Zen  - 1
Indoor  - 1

Remember that a few years ago a guy set a standard.  He said that if we all flew 1.5's  and had 120 foot lines and learned a few basic things we could have a community that when we met up we could all fly together.  He pumped that, he primed that and we all had fun.  That is why there are so many 1.5's.  That is one of smartest moves ever made.  It created a whole new market.

John
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 12:51 PM »

John, having multiple Revs is no different than having a bag of Dual liners....why would you need more than one?  Even though one Widow Maker could do every trick in the book, you still have other kites that fit the "mood" issues from day to day.  Rev's are no different.  Sure most of the pilots have the 1.5 (that would be the EXP, 1.5 and the B-Series) models. But there are other variants that you can get to quench the thirst for the quad version of "Something Different".  The speed series or the power series does just that.

The speed series is so awesomely fun when the winds are just right and you want that all out explosive adrenaline power flying.  One the right day, the Supersonic or Shockwave will out fly (and out grin) any other Rev.  These kites throw precision to the wind and say "Lets just have one rocking flying time!!!"  Kinda like a Micron in 15 mph wind, or the California wasp, or the Hawiian's or NSR's.  So you aren't going to get that smooth precision and tricking with them, they have their own version of awesome fun.

The power series (Blast, 2-4, and the monster 4-8) are just as different as a dual line Nirvana and a Flexifoil Blade.  They throw precision out the window and replace it with awesome power and pull but give you maximum control while doing it.  (oh and the Super Blast was renamed to the 2-4).

Thing is that you can get precision and control from the speed series as well as the power series.  It's not nearly as precise as the 1.5 series but it can be done.  I guess it all boils down to different strokes for different folks (or make that moods).

I have more Rev's than I care to list but the majority of them are indeed the 1.5 series models.  Even though most of them are 1.5's, I get a all giddy and have a huge grin on my face when I have a day that is perfect to fly the Super Sonic and it is the most exciting Rev I pull out. Smiley

For Dual liner kites you have:
indoors, SUL, UL, light std, STD and Vented (with variations of venting)...then you have Precision and Tricky, Then there is the 3/4 sails (7 footers) and full sails (8 Footers) and giants (10+ footers) ... then you end up with the personal favorites or special on-offs or customs.

Well guess what....the same goes for the Rev's (or should we just say Quad Liners):
Indoor, SUL, ul, Std, Vented (with variations of venting), prcision, speed, Normal sized (1.5 series) larger sized( Rev 1) & power series...and then there is the special one-offs or customs.

After all, there is not that much difference between quads or duals.

This opinion is worth every penny you paid for it. Smiley

Well...for Quads you have pretty much the same.

kiteflyer82
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 07:24 PM »

Eliot Shook Masterpiece - 2
1.5 SLE stack of 3 (wanted at least two more)
B2 - 1
B Series 1 regular and 1 mid vent
Blast 2-4 - 1
Zen - 1
Shockwave - 1

Just ordered the second rev mesh from Eliot, with the matching Zen....
Pictures to come!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:55 PM by kiteflyer82 » Logged
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51 PM »

Well, um, if Daveslinger is going to get all esoteric on us, then I'd have to mention that Rev made 2 dual liners, first the Advantage Classic, and then of course the Dodd/Rev Phase 2. I have one of each of those, and additionally:

2 Rev 2s, ( a B2 and an original vented)
1 "Revolino" , Kiteslinger sewn original ,
3 1.5s  an SLE, an Ultralight, and a Barressi.
I only "need" a couple more to be happy. Probably a B2 mid-vent and a Barressi mid-vent. O.K., maybe a Barressi full vent too. Shocked

And hey, Dave, you gotta try a B2. Nice little kite. Next time I'm up your way, I'm bringing mine.

Lee
bearish

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 04:19 AM »

1 zen
1 bseries standard
1 blast vented
1 b series extravented
1 custom kevrev vented
1 exp my first
and  more to come
once you get the rev sickness you can't escape  Cheesy
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30 AM »

Of my 80+ Revs, I have no Speed or Power Series, not one... On the small side, I have three B2's which I use for play time but only get flown 5% of the time... So yes, I'm a 1.5 guy almost all the way.

For me, it comes down to overall performance... I appreciate the buzz for some folks (not knocking 'em at all), but I personally can't stand the "herky-jerky" acceleration and oversteer of the Supersonic, Shockwave, etc.

Again a lot of folks do like the Supersonic, etc and I understand why... Just not my cup of tea at all.  Roll Eyes

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Ktsun
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 09:51 PM »

1 Indoor Revolution
1 1.5 Sul
1 1.5 Standard
1 1.5 Vented
2 Blast
1 B2

I want to stop at this moment. Undecided
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:52 PM by Ktsun » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change