GWTW Forum
November 01, 2014, 06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Rev' kite building advise needed.  (Read 3176 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 19, 2011, 08:27 AM »

First of all, I'm a proud owner of a Full Vent Rev 1.5 and a Standard 1.5, both B-Series. I'm also considering a new B-Series Rev II at some time in the future but after getting more & more into flying on "the dark side" ...I decided to see if I could come up with a unique panel layout that I liked enough to invest the time and effort into building a couple 'custom' "Rev style quad kites" for myself and a flying buddy of mine. I know from speaking with Ben personally that Revolution™ doesn't have a problem with someone building them for their own personal use, as long as they aren't being made for sale to anyone. The Masterpiece Series Revs being the exception to that rule, being authorized by Revolution™ for sale.

Having come up with what I felt was a sharp looking design, I went ahead and created a full-scale pattern in Photoshop, had it printed out at Kinkos, cut out all the templates, and started putting the panels together with seam tape, to be sewn together later. I'll post pictures of the finished 'mirror-image' kites when they are both finished but I'm hoping to keep them "under wraps" so I can surprise my flying buddy with his when I'm done.

I know there are some of you out there who have built their own Rev-style kites in the past so I hope someone may be able to answer a couple of questions for me, about construction,

Here's my build questions:

First, I can't tell for sure if the LE 'screen' is folded over (along with the sail fabric) twice (two layers of screen and fabric) or triple folded (three layers of screen and fabric) before it's sewn along the sail's top edge. It looks like it may just be double folded on my Standard Rev but looks triple folded on the Vented Rev (perhaps for added strength?) ....or ...is the sail material first folded 'once' over the edge of the screen, then both sail and screen folded over again making the sail material triple layered and the screen double layered?

Secondly, should there be any 'camber' to the LE of the kite when constructed. Both of mine appear to have a slight camber but I don't know if that is a result of flying them or whether it's part of the construction design. It does look like the screen's grid pattern is sewn-on straight along a screen grid-line which would lead me to believe that the leading edge should be attached in a straight line and not cambered.

I think I've figured out everything else I need to now about the kite's construction but I'd welcome any and all other advise anyone might be willing to share with me.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:45 AM by photogbill » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:45 PM »

if you go to the kite plan base website and look for the freedom quad you might find some answers there.....i know a number of people who have built those with great success...
pictures!!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:47 AM »

you could "cut-in" the vented panels on the sail or vented part of the leading edge as opposed to refolding it back upon itself before stitching.  In fact you can make the whole kite without any sewing at all using 3M's 9460 bonding tape and NO venting anywhere.  If you want venting I'd say to edge bind that material FIRST and then reverse applique it into position from the back of the sail.

The leading edge is cambered during construction ONLY if you build it that way = curved leading edge.  I've seen laser straight and curved as much as five inches away at the tips from the center.  Experiment, my friend.  A big curve cups the air very well, a laser straight will do excellent 3-D tricking.  You need to decide what you want it to do during flight and then do some testing before going to your project. 

Don't just copy a REV,.... geesh you're going to all the trouble to make your own kites.  Learn something and then push that envelope further!  If you're doing this project to save money, forget about it!  Materials have gone thru the roof lately, Icarex is over $15 a yard now and nobody want to sell you eight square feet's worth either,.. No encouraged to buy the whole roll & good luck finding any Black too!
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:45 AM »

Materials have gone thru the roof lately, Icarex is over $15 a yard now and nobody want to sell you eight square feet's worth either,.. No encouraged to buy the whole roll & good luck finding any Black too!

Ain't that the truth!
photogbill

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:15 PM »

.... geesh you're going to all the trouble to make your own kites.  .....If you're doing this project to save money, forget about it!  .....Materials have gone thru the roof lately, Icarex is over $15 a yard now and nobody want to sell you eight square feet's worth either,.. No encouraged to buy the whole roll & good luck finding any Black too!

Yep ...I'm going to all this trouble.  Roll Eyes Some might call it a labour of love Huh

Saving money has nothing to do with it. Making and flying a totally unique kite for myself and a close friend is my motivation!

And ....Bonnie may not call it "Icarex" ...but 'Hang-em-High' has 1/2 oz. Polycarbonate Coated Ripstop Polyester ....in Black for $12.99 a 54"-wide yard! In fact she has 2 less yards of it in black as of about a week ago!

REVflyer

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:50 AM »

Bonnie Marvin has no intention of carrying polycarbonate coated polyester fabric anymore either.  It went up 30% in cost recently, she's just liquidating her existing inventory.  It's Skyburner in the future or forget about using Icarex unless you have it already!
photogbill

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 11:21 PM »

if you go to the kite plan base website and look for the freedom quad you might find some answers there.....i know a number of people who have built those with great success...
pictures!!!!!!

Sorry for not posting some pics sooner. I've been pretty busy with work and stuff since finishing the quads! Here's a couple pics of mine:

Bob D

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 04:12 AM »

Looks real nice, Bill! Good job!

Bob D.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:47 AM »

well done. it looks like it came out great. /clapclapclap

Fˇdeli°
emegaz

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 05:42 PM »

Great job. I like the color pattern.
photogbill

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys! I was real happy with the results myself. I was inspired by this beautiful 'Randy Tom Masterpiece Series', which is no longer available. That is where I got the idea of having 'rays' of color 'radiating' from each side:

It flies real nicely but is noisier than an original Rev. Not horribly so and I'm not sure why.   Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change