GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Silver fox 2.3 pro pilots out there?  (Read 6249 times)
aaron j.
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 19, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Looking for some more help on my new Silver fox 2.3 pro. I flew it today with Smplcty ( Jayson ) here on the forum. There was a good amount of wind like
13-15mph. We flew it with 85' 150lb lines. I am new to kiting, I can keep it in the air when I am not trying tricks.  Cheesy

My question is Jason and I felt the kite had a little too much oversteer. We moved the bridle around and came out with a pretty good setup to make it more enjoyable to fly. Is this the nature of this kite? I think I enjoyed flying my Prism Hypnotist a little more.
                                                           Thanks,
                                                                 Aaron
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:47 PM »

As zippy8 would say:

Is it oversteer or merely twitchy (small hand motions only)?

He would use better words than I have chosen.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
aaron j.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:53 PM »

I think oversteer, the kite wanted to keep circling even after you stopped input.
We got it to track straight, the kite was pulling quite hard I might add.
aaron j.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56 PM »

Sorry, I just noticed I posted this in the single line. Embarrassed
aaron j.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22 PM »

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19 PM »

if you move the adjustment on the lower spreaders fitting pigtail to the last knot away from the leading edge it will tame the turn rate.
50flyer

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:51 AM »

I sold  this kite to aaron.  I had no problems with oversteer. I did not make any adjustments to bridle.
It seems   heavy on the lines. It takes more wind to fly this kite.

Your new to kiting. It will take more time to get use to this kite than your prism.

Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11 AM »

I sold  this kite to aaron.  I had no problems with oversteer. I did not make any adjustments to bridle.
It seems   heavy on the lines. It takes more wind to fly this kite.

Your new to kiting. It will take more time to get use to this kite than your prism.

FOr a new pilot getting oversteer mixed up with over control is common and going from a unweighted kite to a weighted kite can make it seem like there is oversteer when there really isn't.  WEighted kites take a bit of getting used to and the SF pro has a different way of adjusting but it does have a forgiving/radical turn setting on the outhaul bridle leg from what I have seen and that should tame the kite some.
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:48 AM »

How would you adjust the double prussik knot?  I have not touched my bridle on my SF Pro assuming it was only the upper outhaul is adjustable.  I'm quite pleased with the kite.  Had one issue, but it is being remedied.
aaron j.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 03:29 PM »

Thanks everybody,
There is no doubt I am a new flyer, i was just asking for opinion on this kite and how it handles. I am still in the learning stages of tuning the bridle to my liking. I have two other local guys that competed in events, I will let them give the kite a whirl and get their hands on opinon. There was nothing wrong with the kite, I am going to fly it as much as I can and get the hang of it.

Thank you Norm,
I am going to compare my settings to yours and see how it goes.

Aaron
aaron j.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 03:41 PM »

I was looking at the pictures Norm posted:
My lines running to the upper spreader are attached above the spreader holders and not below like on Norms. Would that make a difference?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:54 PM by aaron j. » Logged
aaron j.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 05:24 PM »

Hello Norm,

My measurements are to the tow point:
Upper Outhaul=24"
Lower Outhaul= 20 1/2"
Inhaul= 25"

Yours:
Upper Outhaul= 24 1/2" (default bridle setting)
Lower Outhaul= 21 1/4"
Inhaul= 26 1/4"

Where is your keeper line on the inhaul at?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:27 PM by aaron j. » Logged
aaron j.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:06 PM »

I checked my inhaul again, we moved my inhaul's larks knot in between the knots at the base of the pigtail (see pic). Even if I put it where it was orignally ( in front of the first knot of the pigtail ) I would only get a measurement of
25 1/2". I would have to slide knots and lengthen the inhaul to get a measurement of 26 1/4 like you have.
Our upper outhaul line placement would throw all our adjustment off, right?

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 06:59 PM »

Guys, my bridles are attached ABOVE the US fittings and BELOW the LS c-clips.  Just not sure where you all are measuring the outhauls to. To the knot where the two out hauls intersect the upper is 24.25". The lower is about 20.25".  The line between the outhauls and inhaul is 2".  The inhaul measures 25.5".  The keeper is 9" away from spine, 6.875" from US fitting attachment and measures 13.75" on my kite.  All settings are at the factory markings.  I did notice the prussic knots had slipped some.  Knots and larkshead would have been ideal like was stated earlier, but what do I know? 
aaron j.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11 PM »

Thanks for all your help Norm,
I did not get no instructions and neither did the guy I bought the kite from. When I got the kite the inhaul line was outside the knots leading towards the end of the pig tail. I will put that where you have yours and give it a try tomorrow if I have decent enough winds to fly.

I lengthen my inhaul as you noted from near the spine. Upon adjust I found one side was off by about a inch. Sad I set them to 26 1/4.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum