GWTW Forum
July 26, 2014, 02:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I.R.S. Scam?  (Read 1450 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 21, 2011, 05:45 AM »

Got this, this morning in my Junk Mail. I have never heard of the IRS contacting you via e-mail Shocked
Did not open atachments and will not, If IRS wants something from me they will have to do it by mail and not e-mail.
It just goes to show you what scammers will do Cheesy

Department of Treasury Internal Revenue Source

Important information about your tax return

We are unable to process your tax return

We recived your tax return. However, we are unable to process the return as field.

Our records indicate that the person identifiedas the primary taxpayer or spouse on the tax return did not provided all the required documents shown on the tax form. Our records are based on information received from the Social Security Administration.

Based on this information, the tax account for the individual has been locked
 What you need to do

Print out the attached notification and list of missing documents, fill it in, add the documents and send the following information to the adress shown in the attached notification.

List of required documents:

1. A copy of this letter

2. Notification letter

3. A photocopy of valid U.S. Federal or State Government issued identification.

Keep this notice for your records. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:10 AM »

IRS says scam

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=155682,00.html

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:44 AM »

You will also notice that the attachment ends in .pdf.exe and is explained as a self extracting archive.  pdf documents never end in .exe.  I got this same one too a while back and just laughed.

Another scam recently tried on me was over the phone. They told me that my computer had recently reported numerous errors to Microsoft and that Microsoft had contacted them to help me.  The errors were probably due to an infestation of trojans and viruses and that my hard drive was likely to crash soon.  The guy would help fix my computer and all I had to do was go to a website that let him have access to it.  I laughed, told him that it was a nice scam but I'll pass.  What really bothered me was that it sounded like it was a busy call center he was calling from and I wondered just how gullible people really are to warrant such a thing.  I also wondered if they had quotas to fill.

Ron
RonG
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:29 PM »

There is no end to how astoundingly gullible people are.

Every day we're exposed to advertising on the web, TV, emails, and the phone;  much of this advertising is at best highly deceptive and at worst blatantly criminal.  Advertising like that makes me angry; I find it insulting that anyone would think I'd fall for such obvious deception.  I get angrier still when I remember that we see so much of it because thousands, maybe millions of people *are* falling for it every day.
kiteclique
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 12:32 PM »

Every day we're exposed to advertising on the web, TV, emails, and the phone;  much of this advertising is at best highly deceptive and at worst blatantly criminal.  Advertising like that makes me angry; I find it insulting that anyone would think I'd fall for such obvious deception.  I get angrier still when I remember that we see so much of it because thousands, maybe millions of people *are* falling for it every day.

Could I interest you in a share of London Bridge Mr. Graziano ?

-Frazer

Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:12 PM »

-Frazer

Hey now, I own a piece of that rock!   Wink

Ron
stapp59
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:12 PM »

We see these scams and phishing emails almost daily.  Most are ill constructed with obvious errors.  The best constructed phish was laughable with the sender requesting a money wire to England as her purse, cash, and credit card had been stolen and she was in a hurry to get home.

I thought about offering a 50% increase in the requested amount so she could travel 1st class but thought better of it and just sent it on to security.  Cheesy

I once had a person call me requesting a staff ID password reset.  He acknowledged it was not his account and was quite angry when I declined. It was his 'right' to have access through the university using a hijacked account.  Luckily I could not crawl through the phone.

There I feel better.  Please continue to educate all you know and care about.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:16 PM by stapp59 » Logged
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:18 PM »

-Frazer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Tower Bridge, not London Bridge?

These scammers can't even get their facts right, can they?   Wink

Steady winds, y'all.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:44 PM »

Yeah, someone did sell the London Bridge.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:03 AM »

There was a similar scam over here in the UK a while back.  Basically you got a very official looking Email linking to a very official looking website supposedly from HM Revenue & Customs ( our IRS) saying that records showed you were due a substancial tax refund and could you please supply your bank details so that the payment could be transferred straight into your bank account!  Many people fell for it, but HMRC never contact people by email. ( I know, I used to work for them!)

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 09:47 PM »

However.......

A few years ago I got a telephone call from an "IRS agent" at 6:30 PM Mountain Time. The agent claimed to be in Cincinnati so it would be 8:30 there. I refused to discuss anything and suggested they contact me by mail as I couldn't be sure he was for real. Long story short - it was a genuine call and was recorded in the IRS log associated with our tax file. Who knew?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document