GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 12:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Router Range  (Read 1487 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 22, 2011, 12:50 AM »

We have a Netgear WNDR3300 Dual Band Wireless-N Router.

It works fine, is encrypted and password protected, looks pretty, but........

Bambi's new iPad2 won't get the internet when we're in the master bedroom.
The iPad and router are about 60 feet and several interior walls away from each other when the problem occurs. The router has internal antennae. I can move the router a few feet closer, but nothing major.

I've read the router has range issues, although people have used the Wi-Fi in the backyard, which is further away but only has 2 walls to go through.

So, do I:
1 Get a new Router
2 Get a repeater
3 Tear down walls

If there is a uber-router out there, I have no qualms about upgrading. Just let me know. Thanks. I'm more of a computer driver than computer mechanic type.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:37 AM »

Hi John,

Sent you a recent article to peruse. Maybe it'll help.

Bob
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42 AM »

So many factors come into play there, your cheapest solution is to just try different locations, that couple of feet of cable may be enough to find a better spot, it may only need to be moved a foot. If not you could pick up a longer Cat5 cable if there is someplace unobtrusive nearby like a bookshelf you can get to. The computer it's hooked to, wiring in the wall's, electrical interference from a phone base, even a reflection from something metal can all come into play, a move of a few inches might just cure it, it also might create a new dead spot someplace else. Upgrading from a 2.4 to 5.8 phone system cured my original problems back when I first set up the wireless network.

At my house I often get a stronger signal out in the garage then I do in the spare bedroom, interesting because if you drew a line from the router to the garage it passes right through that bedroom, past another wireless phone, through two more walls with wiring, a metal garage door & 50 feet more distance. Maybe my signal is going through the window and bouncing off the nieghbors storage shed to the garage? Who knows?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56 AM »

Mike's got this pretty much pinpointed.  You'd be surprised (pleasantly I hope) just what little bit of wiring or even an adjacent microwave can do to a wireless signal................Our system benefitted enormously by just sliding the router four inches from it's original position for a tv twenty feet away, than another three inches away from the new position making it twenty feet- three inches from the first TV to pick up the disc player in the basement almost fifty feet away.........luckily it's on a desk so we didn't have to remodel Wink

Oh! and don't let me forget.................flouresecent tubes can be killers too...................sometimes Undecided
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:58 AM by Kantaxel » Logged

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:49 AM »

I have an Apple Airport Extreme router which works much better than any other that I've tried.

The nice part about it is that you can get an Airport Express to extend the range of the Extreme by relaying if you need to.  So, if you have a weak area in the house, you just put one of these there (its all wireless) in order to extend the signal.  The Express is also nice because it has an audio-out jack so that you can stream iTunes music to a stereo from any of your computers (or iPad) running iTunes - its cool.

Godo luck,
-Tom

6 kite tom
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31 AM »

Easy solution, ..... Move the bed closer to the router

I have found that by elevating (wall mount) that I get a stronger signal in some areas. In Tucson I had the router in the garage and the signal was good both upstairs and down, and I got a decent signal at the pool which was 100+ feet from the router.

I the Oregon house the router is on the wall in the office which is centrally located on the first floor and the signal is good throughout. Kristine has complained that her laptop get less of a signal than mine upstairs.

Question does the ipad get a good signal elsewhere, do you have another device that gets a good signal from the master bedroom? Might need to check the ipad

Different routers do have different ranges, so you could try one with an external antenna

or get a repeater

How to Boost a Router Signal
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:37 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:40 PM »

Router elevated 2 feet. Problem solved. Thank you.

nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 01:21 PM »

The paper and tin foil antenna booster really works Shocked!

My wireless router is on the ground floor at one end of the house, my kite room and lap top are on the top floor of a detached garage at the opposite end of the house. Zero signal with out the homemade reflector, full bars with it (as long as one of the cats don't move it Cheesy) About 60 feet of space, 2 floor systems 2 interior walls, and 2 exterior walls both with foil faced insulation between the two ends.

When the cats leave it alone, I can chat on the chat room without a bit of problem Cool
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:28 PM »

Router elevated 2 feet. Problem solved. Thank you.

if you elevate the bed will you get even better signal?

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:00 PM »

We prefer to move the bed the old-fashioned way.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document