GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 10:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Years of trickin' - How about you?  (Read 3037 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 11:49 AM »

n00bs.... I am surrounded by n00bs  Roll Eyes

I started flying proper dualline kites in early 1990. One day I hope to get it right.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 12:34 PM »

But if you got dualies down, you would then be perfect zippy8.

Even the imported rugs have been given 1 defect on purpose.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 03:03 PM »

1988 vacation to Lincoln City bought kites for family bonding at the beach. Started with Trlbys and walked 10 miles of sand back and forth 50' at a time to relaunch two kites our boys kept lawn darting. Of course, they wanted to do loops and spins rather than try to keep them in the air for a few minutes. The next summer we bought a Flexifoil, Spin-off, and a Sky Dart. After that, I bonded with kites and the rest of the family bonded with shopping for the wife and the boys looking for girls on the beach. Didn't know one could do stalls and axels until several years later. First trick was axel on a Crystal something or other - topic on that kite was discussed several months ago when someone inquired about one they have, too.

Goal is to maximize zen - could care less about flying for others, competition, precision, or ballet. Usually fly alone now that Tony (Pug) has moved on to flyfishing. Know enough tricks to keep me happy, but would like to get consistent at Wap-do-wap. May try to learn insane and rising turtle if the inspiration raises to the surface, but usually having too much fun and forget to try them. Still attempt rollups now and then, but not serious whether I ever get consistent. As I'm aging, I'm gradually shifting more to quads than dual line, but dual line SUL/UL is still my favorite type of flying. Favorite kites are Zerostar, Sano SSZ, Sano SSL, Rev 2 standard and vented, and 1.5 vented. Seldom get to fly standard kites due to light and variable winds here, but Deep Space is the one I usually pull out. Still novice at gliders on Wala and Skate - like Skate best.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 04:19 PM »

There were no proper dualine kites in 1990.

Smiley

I started flying proper dualline kites in early 1990. One day I hope to get it right.

Mike.
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 05:06 PM »

Bought my first duel line sport kite in 2005, in Bodega Bay for $45.00 a Go-Fly-A-Kite Storm series kite, only flew it when at the Beach in high winds, then I found this Forum, and got my first high end kite at the end of 2007 a Custom Widow Maker, got a few others since but not until the end of 2009 did I learn even to Half Axle, and there's been no looking back since, I can do a lot of tricks but I think I need a lot of improvements to what I can do, but I have a lot of fun doing what I do know.
Actual years "trickin" 1.5 years

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 05:48 PM »

There were no proper dualine kites in 1990.

Smiley

Mike.
Probably all that we had back then was a Lite Flite or the beginnings with a North Shore Radical.
Ace

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 08:09 PM »

Late 2008 for me... got my first $20 piece of crap Cheesy Enough to get me hooked though.

A Quantum followed a month later. Then several months later an E2 and I started with tricks.

Had a really steep learning curve helped by some other local fliers. Then Plato-ed for about a year or so chopping and changing kites, ditching Prism for R-sky then Benson etc. Until settling on 1-2 that I liked and now things are making more sense.

Pity I can't fly that often maybe 1-3 hours a week at best Sad

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 09:41 AM »

Mike.

I guess I'm still a Noob to slack line tricking but I was a decent dual line flyer back in the late 1980s - very early 1990s. This new (to me) slack stuff is my second try at dual line and I like it a lot better than precision only type flying. Now I am a slacker Cheesy and I love it.

I did have an advantage to someone just starting out as I needed to knock of some rust but I already could fly a dualie well and pretty much jumped right into tricking.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
jaydub

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 09:54 AM »

Just passed 4 years since my first attempt at an axel.  Progress has been steady, but hardly meteoric.

Compared to some of you guys, I'm obviously a slow learner.  It's taken me over three years to understand how important it is to have the kite stalled before executing the trick, rather than trying to bludgeon the trick.  More body movement. smaller inputs.

I still live in hope of a major breakthrough. Undecided
glider

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 01:11 PM »

For me it was WSIKF 2006.  I saw a Sea Devil dancing on the end of Lam's lines.  Bought an E2 that day.  But the time I've spent on Rev's has delayed progress in dual-line tricks.  Plus, low inland winds have kept me flying SULs that offer plenty of fun with axels, 540s and Taz's.  Pitchy tricks this summer for sure, unless a Rev mega-fly hapens.  Smiley

Dave
pdx

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 06:17 PM »

2007 for me, so 4 years for me also... (Sure, I flew my 'Nipper' for over 15 years (it lived in my ski bag) on 4 different continents but that was just circles and round cornered squares  Roll Eyes some might count that, but I'm not for this exercise) So I still feel like one of the nOObs.  Cool

It sounds like I have a 'middle speed' learning curve going on  Smiley, I'm one of those 'work the trick till it's an old friend' learners I guess.

Personally, I'm in no rush to 'tick all the boxes', and would prefer to have 3 solid tricks that I can roll out for the odd passer by, over 6-8 'nearly there's' that end up making the kite appear to be 'in serious need of a tail'  Cool

Looking forward to the next 4 years  Cool Grin Cool

WinterDaze AoF
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 10:35 PM »

1995. I was 5. Took about 5 years off around HS 'cuse social nonsense got the best of me, and I really needed to concentrate on the horn and started flying again about 3 years-ish ago. BMK Mambas and the PDSUL were the 2 kites to pull me out of the time off basically, and they're not going anywhere anytime soon  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum