GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 02:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Years of trickin' - How about you?  (Read 2580 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: June 24, 2011, 10:04 AM »

I was just thinking and realized it's been four years since I decided to learn dual line tricking. I watched a video on YouTube of Andy Wardley tricking a Gem and I knew I had to learn how to do that Grin It just blew my mind Huh, I didn't have a clue how trick kites had progressed and were able to do stuff like that. I still remember how excited I was watching AW doing stuff I had never even thought possible and was yelling to my wife to come and see what could be done with kites now. I guess I was already hooked after about the first five seconds of that video.

I had flown dual lines back in the late 1980s. I even owned about 5-6 trick kites back then and flew quite often. But no slack line tricking back then. The kites didn't even have stand offs so if you gave slack they would fall out of the sky. I stopped flying and hadn't picked up a kite again until late spring 2007 when I bought a kite from GWTW for my daughter. That's when I went on YouTube to see what was going on with dual lines.

Now I can't stop Cheesy This is a great hobby and gets me outside moving my old bones too. Plus I still have a lot more to learn Wink

Please let me know, What's your story?

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:20 AM »

I've been flying about 3 years.

I still remember the first time that I saw actual trick flying - maybe 4 years ago.  The kids and I headed to Ocean Shores for the Summer Heat competition - more to get away for the weekend than to watch the kites.  I had no idea what to expect.

My son and I watched Tristan Underwood fly a ballet with a Sea Devil to his custom Star Wars music.  It was the most amazing kite flying that I had ever seen - I still remember it.  Jim Barber came by and we chatted - he told us about kites, competition, and flying.  It was a great day.

Later that season, we bought an Ignitor for $24.95 at Cannon Beach and started learning. The next year we bought a pair of E2s and both the Prism and Dodd DVDs.  We watched Dodd's DVD in slow-mo and started to pick things up - we've been hooked ever since.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 10:31 AM »

My parents went down to the Outer Banks for their 25 year wedding anniversary back in 1996 (I was 16) and they brought me back a cheap, 'Go Fly a Kite' stunter that I played with for days before finally figuring it out.  Had a few more 'GFaK' kites before discovering the ITW catalog.

Upgraded to a Prism Vector around 1999 and then got a Fanatic the next year.  Started off learning the axel from watching a Prism video and have been hooked ever since. 
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:42 AM »

It was a windy day in Seattle about 3 years ago and I wanted a kite... So I went and bought my New tech Techno kite.. I flew it around for about 2 1/2 years... just spins and loops and taking it out in 20mph wind to just speed through the air!!! Grin I used to love that thing...

Then... I went to Kite Hill about 8 months ago and saw Tom flying a Fearless!! I couldn't believe my eyes Huh I was so stunned to learn that kites could do that... I went home that night and started youtubeing and found MAMA's videos and spent weeks watching them and going out and trying to figure out how to do what I was watching... I saw Tom again awhile later and he told me about this forum..

I realized I needed a new kite and Bought my Talon UL about 7 months ago or so!!! I have been hooked on kites ever since the Techno... But when I realized what could be done with them..  Cool Well, now it's a lifelong addiction I'm sure. I even started recording myself flying last week... I may have a video to post here in the next few days or so.. now, by no means it it a tpatter or PAW video. But it sure is fun none the less and maybe this way I can get some instruction from all you on what I am doing right or wrong! I still remember my first post on this forum.. "I love this site"! Cheesy .. Well, I love this sport/hobbie as well!!!

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Bob D

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:51 PM »

I'm embarrassed to admit but I've been flying since '97 - just not with Ron's abilities and determination. For a long time it was just flying and playing with the wind window. I didn't know there was a kite community for about 5 years and then I found GWTW.

I don't get out as much as some but I enjoy the learning process and a nice, capable kite. I have to balance family with flying so family wins more often than kites. I'm also a slow learner so it takes me longer but I seem to get there eventually.

Bob D.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 01:32 PM »

I have been flying since 95...and still cannot do any of them newfangled tricks y'all are talking about!!!but i can fix them Smiley

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 02:18 PM »

July '98 I wanted to get a nice kite for my daughter's 7th birthday. I was thinking about a nice fabric dragon kite. I figured if she didn't like flying at least we could decorate her room with it. I had flown mylar dragons and fighters in the '70s. I visited GWTW and they had the perfect White Bird Dragon. They also had modern fabric & carbon fighters. I had no idea! I came back a week later for a Shanti Cube and a week later for a PKC fighter, etc., etc., etc.

I resisted sport kites for a good three months, but eventually bought a Prism Vector for my 35th birthday.

I did my first comp 6 months later and for the next few years mainly flew ballet. I learned a few tricks, but nothing like most other turn of the century fliers. These days I do a variety of basic tricks well, but still mainly fly what could be called ballet, I just call it flying.

Allen, AKA kitehead
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 02:19 PM »

We were out at Gold Beach on the Oregon coast staying in a furnished Condo and there was this old broken dual line kite in the closet. We spent the evening fixing it up and the next day we spent slamming that thing all over the beach. What a blast. I forgot all about it until a few years later when we were planning a trip back out to the same place. I remembered that kite and started looking around the internet and ended up talking to this guy Steve in Chico on the phone and got a Quantum for our trip. That was in 2005 and I have been hooked ever since.
CV

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:30 PM »

James & Tom...
You guys make me feel slow... I've been trying to trick since I got my 'Big Bang' with the FS DVD, but I haven't made anywhere near as much progress as you guys. I've been flying dual line since 2000-2001, but it was a couple of years of flying circles, figure 8s, and stalling before I saw what could be done once you stalled the kite. I think the years of just trying to keep the kite flying hurt my ability to learn tricks, because the inputs for tricks go against the whole thing of keeping the kite in the air  Cheesy

I've flown single line kites since the 70s, and drooled over the dual line kites in the IntoTheWind catalog in the 80s. I was in school, so I didn't have the $$$ to invest in a TOTL in those days. My flagship back then was a Sun Oaks DC, which I still have, and should probably fly more.

Well, thank goodness for the online kite community, I would still be doing loops & figure 8s if it weren't for all of yous...

~Rob.

ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:49 PM »

In my case, it was july/august 2006, I had just moved to Buenos Aires and I started exploring the neighborhood in my bicycle when I ran into a guy flying a two-line foil, I had always liked kites and things that fly, but I was impressed by a kite that could be controlled at will, and it seemed highly compatible with my cycling hobby, the foil could be easily folded inside a backpack; I decided to research the matter a little bit more on the Internet. When I returned home I started googling kites, found a local company and their site said they showcased kites at one park near my home on saturdays, so the next weekend I was there, one of the kids (Federico Polizotto, around 14 y/o then) was masterfully flying a Benson Deep Space, I was impressed by the perfect control he seemed to have on the kite, then he did a yo-yo and I thought "no, he couldn't have done that, it is against the laws of physics, a kite can't do that..." and then he immediately did a double yo-yo, in that moment I decided I wanted to try that, I bought my first kite that same morning (a Celer by Alto Vuelo) and didn't stop going there every weekend since that day. I won a new hobby (addiction?), a bunch of new friends and more than a few sun burns.
Stickman
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33 PM »

This tread is particularly appropriate for me to comment upon today (see below)

Some years ago I got hooked by seeing Mark Reed fly the legacy Prism kites-Illusion, Proph, Vapor and (my favorite) the Elixer. I still remember the wonderful ephiphany of getting the feel of the fade launch just right-that was 1997-98. I flew when I could for the next couple of years,e.g. traveled with the Proph to England/Ireland, and then slowly got pullled away by cycle racing.  Recently I was looking for something fun,relaxing and somewhat physical to do following knee surgery and remembered my kite bag-what a blast to rediscover my beloved Elixer, realize I had a Vapor I had forgotten about etc. so I started researching, found this forum and BMK, JOE etc and was stunned by the changes in the kites, tricks etc.

Today I flew my new Talon UL for the first time-UNBELIEVABLE. I intentionally accomplished several tricks that I had only dreamed of doing!! Thanks to everyone who recommended Talon and BMK Exile to me. And a big thanks to J Chilese ("Kite Ambassodor"),Allen C, , Demingduck, Chester, Fidelio, tpatter for key info, encouragement,and to Ken McNeil and Mark Clements for GREAT KITES!!-I'm having a blast!!
Scott

"Breaking sticks is part of the process"
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:41 AM »

I started flying 2 line kites in the late 80's while visiting Cornwall with my wife but it remained just an occasional thing, flying around in loops and circles, vacations and sunny days at the park.

In 1996 I was on my local park flying my little Brookkite around when I met someone with a Shadow Phantom, he let me have a fly and I was blown away. Within a month I'd discovered rec.kites, the MKF and went to a local shop that sold trick kites (Ice Nine in Nottingham). The Psycho had just come in - I watched the video in the shop and bought one.

So the addiction began  Roll Eyes

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:15 AM »

We started flying dualies in the fall of 2002 on a whim........(that looks like fun)......Spent from then to Xmas of 2005 just pull turning and crashing about six different kites every chance we got..........Then Jim Barber sold us a Quantum Pro and the 'Freestyle Pilot' and as they say.........................Progress isn't like Tom and the rest of you young'uns but we're doing okay for our ages and shoe sizes..............most of all it is just FUN..............and a great stress reliever.

Oh .......and very very addictive Wink

-Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 09:10 AM »

I did my first axel in the fall of '95. I had been trying to learn it all summer (started flying that summer), and couldn't get it. Then I bought a Total Eclipse and did a number of axels the first time I flew it. Then I bought a stranger and life was good :-) Then came the Box of Tricks. Great kite for the time.

After that I was learning every trick I could, mostly from Dodd's Flight School videos. I remember the day I decided to work on the 540. Flew for several hours, trying time and again, and ended up hitting it about three times the whole day. That made it all worth it though. Now if I can't figure out a trick fairly quick, I decide it's not worth doing :-)

See ya,
Bill
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 06:25 AM »

It started on a trip to the beach. We saw a couple practicing a pairs routine and it looked like fun. I'd never seen a dual line kite before that day. I noticed the Prism brand name and Googled it when we got home. That search led me to this forum and Steve's kite shop. Steve sent me home with a new Hypnotist, a little instruction, and a couple of DVD's. 2 weeks later I bought a BMK Exile and started learning slack line tricks. That was 3 years and 8 months ago. I still look like Forrest Gump with a kite, but I'm having fun   Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography