GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexifoils  (Read 2354 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 12:43 PM »

Heh, crazy!  Most I've managed on higher wind days with stacks was 3x 8' and 2x 10' on a different occasion.  The 2x 10' was quite the handful if I remember correctly, equal to about 6 6's.  One of these days I want to try 2x 6' 2x 8' 2x 10' at once but the winds will have to be just right.  Maybe I'll leave off one of the 10's just to be safe.  Wink

While we're on the topic of Flexi's, if anyone has any spare Pro Team 8 spars (centers or ends, doesn't matter) let me know as I'm looking for some.  The ends are the same for the 6/8/10's.  Not sure on the 12'.

-Mike
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 12:45 PM »

Oh aye. I knew I had one more thing to forward about Flexifoils.  Sad

You should all know of Dean Jordan. You may not know about an accident he had. This is his recalling of what happened.

The date was May 1991, the place was Wildwood, NJ. I was hospitalized for two weeks in agony, and then confined to a wheel chair for three months. I was flying a twelve stack of 10' flexi's when i flew into the ground. George Baskette possibly saved my life by keeping me immoble for the next few hours while well intentioned people, including rescue personel, tried to move me. I had shattered my pelvis and broken it in six or seven places as well as crushed my coxax and lower spine.
Source.

Do be careful out there.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 02:27 PM »

Auch,

Yes, anchored power flying is probable the most dangerous method of all. Listen to Dean folks, simply Don't.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 03:13 PM »

Auch,

Yes, anchored power flying is probable the most dangerous method of all. Listen to Dean folks, simply Don't.
I don't think Dean was fully anchored when he had that accident but rather "lifting" which, if I understand right is the power kite equivalent to parasailing. Or jumping letting the kites lift you up whitch is stupid anyway.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 03:24 PM »

Oh aye. I knew I had one more thing to forward about Flexifoils.  Sad

You should all know of Dean Jordan. You may not know about an accident he had. This is his recalling of what happened.

The date was May 1991, the place was Wildwood, NJ. I was hospitalized for two weeks in agony, and then confined to a wheel chair for three months. I was flying a twelve stack of 10' flexi's when i flew into the ground. George Baskette possibly saved my life by keeping me immoble for the next few hours while well intentioned people, including rescue personel, tried to move me. I had shattered my pelvis and broken it in six or seven places as well as crushed my coxax and lower spine.
Source.

Do be careful out there.

Mike.

more to this story:

The reason that Dean had the accident was because all of the flyers doing this were required to wear a helmet....dean had grabbed a helmet and thumped it on...it was a bit big............
as he was being lifted the helmet slipped down over his eyes and he got disoriented...he ended up powering the kites straight down into the beach instead of flying upwards to lift himself....thus powering himself into the deck as well.......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document