GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless SUL flare to fade  (Read 2067 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 27, 2011, 01:46 AM »

Hi to all.
Hope You are doing nice kite flying during the holiday on the beach.  Wink
Need little thinking from You....
I have Sea Devil stand. I feel that kite very good.
In the meanwile I order Fearless SUL.
With SD stand. I'm doing flic flac  number of times....
But with Fearless  SUL  need to concetrate a lot to catch flare to fade. Uffffffffff Embarrassed-is this way of SUL kites...
 I'm not sure does SD SUL has this kind of transition?
And does it mean if I'm connect with SD stand. I would feel and trick better SD SUL but not Fearless SUL.
Thanks for help.
all best
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:48 AM by vigli » Logged
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:15 AM »

Don't get frustrated to fast here.  Sul kites tend to trick slower and need lighter inputs that standards.  For the flare to fade on most SUL's  I find some need a bigger sweeping motion to pull the nose around into the fade.  Quick wrist snaps most of the time for me end up giving results similar to the pop up launch where the kite goes tail up but doesn't come around into the fade.  IT will take a bit of time to get used to the new input needs of your SUL and some experimenting to find what inputs your fearless SUL likes.  Keep trying and you will get it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:22 AM »

Aha... I remember this topic. The Fearless SUL takes a number of hours to get used to. Especially if you're used to the Sea Devil. Let me say, I have no experience with the Sea Devil SUL, but I do have a Sea Devil light. The Sea Devil is a totally different kind of kite, much easier to fly. The Fearless has a special touch that has to be learned. I have the Fearless SUL and the FVL, and I would say that I had to spend 25 hours on each to get used to them, and the next 25 hours before I was comfortable with them. They are really fun kites, and worth the time to learn them.
Any SUL kite is going to require special inputs, you can't really give a 'pop' input to a SUL like you would a standard... the SUL has alot less mass, and you'll end up popping it out of the sky. So, the inputs are much smaller, and even in light wind, you need to provide slack. Even in light wind, I'll have to walk forward ~10 feet while doing a 540 on the FL SUL. The flic-flac ? You need to coax the kite through the moves, slow & smooth, with slack. Nothing like what you're used to with the Sea Devil...
Here are some threads about the FSUL, and the helpful suggestions of other members that helped me out when I was having trouble with it...

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3621.0
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1772.0

Good luck,
~Rob.

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:37 AM »

Many UL / SUL, especially pitchier kites, will behave differently in the Flare than a standard. A SUL kite can tend to back up instead of flipping under to the Fade when you hit the kite to return to Fade. The lighter kites with larger Tail Weights tend to behave like this.

Two things, keep the nose from going too high (past parallel to the ground) and sweep do not pop the kite back to Fade. This is dependent on the kite and wind conditions so you'll need to get a feel for it. With some kites, it helps to "catch" the kite in the Flare position slowly adding tension until the kite stops in the Flare then sweep to Fade. It isn't as care free as standards but you'll get it. You can also let the kite rotate past the Flare back to a reverse Fade and then pull back to Fade = Over Rotated Filc Fac. Super Cool & the F SUL is real nice at this.

Have fun. Fearless SUL =  Grin

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:19 AM »

+1.  This is my favorite SUL to date.

I would recommend that you go out and only do flick-flacks for an hour or so, fine-tuning your technique until you can nail it every time.  I did this, with the surprise result that I can now flick flack ANY kite far better than I could before.  This is one of the reasons I really like a good SUL - it helps to make you a better flyer by slowing down the input-response cycle so you can more easily study what is happening. 

If you flick-flack (more) properly on those kites that just give it away, the results will be even more impressive on those kites - more control, more opportunities for combos open up, and it just looks smoother.

Holding a fade, then flick flack, then back to holding the fade, etc really helps to develop kite feel and control.  If you over-cook the input or are too rough with the kite, you can't maintain the cycle.  Of course, it's all easier when you have more wind since it will be there to help correct any minor mistakes which is part of what makes SUL flying in very low wind more difficult.

Good luck!

6 kite tom
vigli

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01 AM »

Thanks a lot for the inputs.  Smiley
Does anyone tryed SD SUL and Fearless SUL too-which one is be easyer to trick.
Or said with other way:
SD stand. is easy to trick and very forgiven and help me to learn tricks.

I'm just a little worry: I'm very good with SD stand and maybe It would be better that I ordered SD SUL (because I have SD Stand.) -but I didn't do that -I order FSUL.
Did I make wrong and does SDsul would better choice because Im good with SD STAND. ?
I read some kite-flyer say that it is the best to follow the same kite in the different weights (as stand., light, SUL).
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:01 PM by vigli » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:07 PM »

Or said with other way:

I'm just a little worry: I'm very good with SD stand and maybe It would be better that I ordered SD SUL (because I have SD Stand.) -but I didn't do that -I order FSUL.
Did I make wrong?
I read some kite-flyer say that it is the best to follow the same kite in the different weights (as stand., light, SUL).
Thanks

NO you didn't make a mistake.  Sticking with the SD model may help speed up your learning but its still and SUL and will need different inputs than the SD standard.  Think of it as a new challenge to your flying skills.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:47 PM »

Or said with other way:

Did I make wrong and does SDsul would better choice because Im good with SD STAND. ?
Thanks

I know the threads are long, but I think it will help to read through the two post that Rob linked to above. One of them is a direct comparison of the SD SUL vs. the  F SUL. The other has lots of info on the F SUL.

If you want to do a wide range of slack line tricks in very light wind, then you made the correct choice going with the F SUL. The SD SUL powers up better, is easier to fly about and some tricks like Slots, 540s ect. are super on it. But the F SUL has way more tricks in it's bag.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
vigli

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:19 PM »

Thanks for help.
Today I fly Fearless SUL.
It was not so big problem to catch flare to fade just to go slow and not nose of the kite go to hi (in flare)-as You said.
Flying SUL is definitive new way of fly and I can see inercia is really best friend for tricks. Grin
SUL kite has low inercia and there are different world and need different sense for doing tricks...
all best
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 08:55 PM »

From the thread showing the two previous posts I think the key to the JLs for me was not popping to the fade but a easy pull as indicated to the fade with slack being introduced into the move was the key adjustment. As with the simple flare to fade (flic-flac) a shortened flare as this pilot indicates is the key. The Tattoo is my favorite kite. At times I keep flying it in winds like 5-8 mph - I just use 50' lines. Its a great kite. I still have to try a Transformer SUL. Soon ...

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 09:05 PM »

I still have to try a Transformer SUL. Soon ...

Don't go there..........you will have then your two top favorites, and won't know what to do (or fly)  Cry

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Dolphinboy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 01:41 AM »

I still have to try a Transformer SUL. Soon ...

Don't go there..........you will have then your two top favorites, and won't know what to do (or fly)  Cry

Jim

The Transformer SUL is one of my favorite kites Grin It absolutely rocks in light wind.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum