GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 12:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Yukon - as beginner kite  (Read 3762 times)
da_zubr
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 27, 2011, 02:19 AM »

Hi all from Russia!  Wink

I'm new to "world of Kite", so i have few questions about this hobby.

1. I've got HQ Yukon stunt kite, but unsure is it good enought to start doing tricks with it. What you think? Is it capable to do old and new tricks? Is it good to start with?
2. Also i've got small kite for basic training in light winds (Calipso II) - Am i doing right?
3. What kind of tricks you recommend for beginner? Stalls?

P.S. Sorry for my bad Eng.  Smiley
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:30 AM »

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of kiting!

Others will chip in no doubt, but here my thoughts. I started kiting with a Yukon. It's a decent kite to learn the very basics of flying (taking off, landing, flying circles and infinities, etc) and it's almost indestructible, so can deal with those unavoidable early lawn-darts. When it comes to tricking, it's pretty limited. I still have my old Yukon, and I couldn't axel it until I learned to do that on more trickable kites first.

Learn to control the kite first, wherever you are in the wind window. Stalls and snap stalls are the gateway to further tricks, so getting those properly under your belt will make progressing easier.

And your English is WAY better than my Russian  Wink

da_zubr

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34 AM »

Tnx for Answer!

I understand, that it's limited... but how much. As i clearly understand you - tricks on this kite are more difficult but possible to do?

And if this kite is not good enought to advance in future, what kite you recommend for the next step?
1. http://www.invento-hq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1041&Itemid=38
or
one of theese: http://www.invento-hq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=0&Itemid=39

Hadge

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:23 AM »

And if this kite is not good enought to advance in future, what kite you recommend for the next step?

Welcome to the forum.

The HQ JIVE or HQ MAESTRO would be a good choice. They are both quite cheap to buy, easy and cheap to fix broken parts and will both do many tricks.  The HQ INFINITY is a good kite but really made for experienced fliers and not so easy to learn on.

HQ Jive II

Stunt kiting video - Da Hui

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:41 AM »

the yukon i haven't flown, but if you do choose to upgrade, the infinity from hq you linked is a good choice for a long term kite. it will do almost any trick, is a good bargain (but not cheap), and is built well (in poland i believe). the frame is a little flexible, and the kite a little heavy, but is durable, good value for money and flies very well.

a good foundation of tricks to learn after you feel confident flying around are:
landing (intentionally)
ground recovery (cartwheel)
stall
side slide
tip stand (on the side of the wind window to start)
axel

once you complete those, if you're feeling dangerous, flare to fade.

welcome to the forum. your english is good. i hope you find happy flying in st. petersburg.

Fdeli
da_zubr

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:51 PM »

Everyone tnx for answers. Cool

But i have another question.

Yukon have this line:

incl., Blendline 45 kp / 100 lb., 2 x 20 m / 2 x 65 ft. on winder with straps

What is it? Deneema? Or polyester? What type of line you recommend for this kite?

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09 AM »

Afraid I can't answer your question, as my Yukon came with 25m, 36kg Dyneema.

da_zubr

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 12:15 AM »

Afraid I can't answer your question, as my Yukon came with 25m, 36kg Dyneema.

Like this?:

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 12:25 AM »

That line is fine but make sure that the lines are even. Don't check the lines attached to the kite, instead put the loops around a fixed object and check to see if they are the same length. I have had some HQ line sets (other brands too) that were off by several cm.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
da_zubr

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:31 AM »

That line is fine but make sure that the lines are even. Don't check the lines attached to the kite, instead put the loops around a fixed object and check to see if they are the same length. I have had some HQ line sets (other brands too) that were off by several cm.

tnx a lot... i'll check this evening... Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:21 AM »

Blendline in a mixture of Polyester and dyneema fibres - halfway between cheap line and dyneema - it should be fine for the Yukon. As others have said check your line lengths after a couple of flights as they can stretch.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
da_zubr

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 06:52 AM »

Everyone tnx again. I've got my Yukon and ordered Maestro II for "future".

As using Yukon i've learned already some basic tricks like HalfAxels and Backflips... We have here choppy wind most of the time, so it's difficult to training well... but i do my best  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document