GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 10:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pseudo-Newbie, in an upgrading mood.  (Read 1023 times)
HHaase
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 27, 2011, 02:40 AM »

I won't call myself a total newbie,  but enough that I'll pretend to be one in the forum here anyway.  I started with a couple of kites I picked up locally a few years ago,  and have enjoyed the heck out of them in the process.  Currently I only have a GFAK Storm and GFAK Parastunter.   (What happened to GFAK anyway?  Can't seem to find a web presence for them anywhere anymore).  It's getting near time to go a bit more advanced and higher end, and I'm looking to pick up another pair of kites to do different things with.

My problem is..... I can't decide which direction to go to.   I enjoy the 2-line delta,  and would like to go a bit faster and snappier than the Storm.  But at the same time, not too pricey that I'd be afraid to push its limits.  Eventually I'd like to go with a 4-line, but not just yet.  I'm totally lost on this one.

The parastunter was fun as well,  but really didn't feel like it did much more than the Storm.  A bit more pull, about the same speed.... easy to solo launch though.  I'd like to replace it with something with more power, but I know I can easily go with too much if I'm not careful.  I'm not concerned with it being a great stunt foil,  instead I want something that can give me a good workout and impress me with smooth power.   I'm leaning toward a Flexifoil Proteam 8,  but am open to recommendations.

-Hans
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:21 AM »

a nice faster dual line that isn't toooo expensive (but still high end) is the skyburner Ocius. Very precise, tricks like a madman, and totally worth it. Good luck with your decision!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:05 AM »

For smooth power I'd agree with the Flexifoil Proteam 8, it's manageble below 20 MPH but will give you a workout. I enjoy the 6 too, quicker with tighter turns but I'll always reach for the 8 first unless the winds are above 15-18 then the 6 gets consideration.

A couple other quick, responsive delta dual lines I've enjoyed would be the Premier Nighthawk at around $130, or the Premier Wolf which runs closer to $100. The Wolf would fly in the same windrange of your GFAK, the Nighthawk will fly in lower winds with a good upper range still. Between those and the Ocius you can still find the Skyburner Freestylist for around $160. For something in the full size range which will be a bit slower but a very capable kite the Premier Widow at $160 is a great kite that'll let you delve deep into the realm of modern tricks if you choose to pursue that and is still a great kite to fly around with.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
HHaase

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54 AM »

Lots of good suggestions to look into.  I  did forget to add that I'm looking for something that's better in light wind,   but you covered that already.  Usually wind is good around here, being right on the ocean, but sometimes it does dip too low to keep either of mine reliable in the air.

High wind is one area that the parastunter really came into it's own, so not too worried about wind getting too strong.  That reminds me, I need to order some strings.  Used the wrong ones last time I had it out and busted my 50lb strings.   Want some better wrist straps too.

-Hans

demingduck
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:14 PM »

Go buy the pair of lines with straps from kiteflyer82.

Chester
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:04 PM »

GFAK also makes a 4 string foil (1.4 meter Parastunter Quad) which I like a lot. Fly it like a duel line with the ability to do dive stops and other quad tricks Smiley Here's my video:
Parastunter Quad Kite
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change