GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 02:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITW Kymera from Barresi...  (Read 11989 times)
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 03:42 PM »

Along with the flic flac (especially the flare/pancake part), I think the 1/2 axel (or part a comete) is also paramount for avoiding nose plants... They are the fastest ways I know of to kill some or all drive (sail load) and send the nose in another direction, and they can be done from almost any orientation.

I also use the 1/2 axel to get out of tip-wrap generated death spins, along with kind of a comete input (as bad as my comete is).

For terminal death spins (i.e. broken line), they key is just to get that sucker depowered and down to the ground... Run like hell, keep the one good line held back behind your hips, then at the moment it's going to hit the ground, release the hand forward QUICKLY to totally depower the spin, and keep jogging so it doesn't fill up and start again, goal being to get the kite immobilized (like face down).

Of course, just in my own experience.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:44 PM by Kitelife » Logged

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 04:59 PM »

Yep my panic movement when something fails nose down and powered up too close to the ground is the half axel too like John B says. A one hand punch followed with a pull will depower the kite. Sometimes the pull sets you back up to fly away sometimes not but the kite didn't power into the ground nose first and relaunch is usually easy.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33 PM »

2 pt landing is essentially a half axel into the ground, could also just land.   But, if you can do that, then you can just turn.

6 kite tom
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 08:02 PM »

Quote from: Norm Pulliam link=topic=5695.msg59613#msg59613 I think you could add the French Flic-Flac to the list.
[/quote

What is the French Flic-Flac?
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Ah, you're talking about the t-piece, not the ferrule - duh on me, got it now...

I don't doubt your experience, I'm just surprised as Spence and I have both run my kites through the ringer and haven't broken one yet.

Let my daughter fly it. She will break it for you...

:-)

So where can I get a replacement?

Kirby
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44 PM »

No offense but I find its crazy you let your daughter fly your kites to begin with!  Huh Huh
Why dont you just get her a nexus or quantum? Let her beat the heck out of it.
I think I paid $17 for my first stunt kite, this was 2 years ago....I found it amusing.
Im sure an 11 year old girl could have fun with a kite that is a little more resiliant....heck if its purple im sure that will be enuf. Im not surprised the kymera broke.....these high end kites should have an age window.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 10:50 PM »

No offense but I find its crazy you let your daughter fly your kites to begin with!  Huh Huh
I think I paid $17 for my first stunt kite, this was 2 years ago....I found it amusing.
Im sure an 11 year old girl could have fun with a kite that is a little more resiliant....heck if its purple im sure that will be enuf. Im not surprised the kymera broke.....these high end kites should have an age window.

YEa this is a bit over the top.  MY 5 year old nephew flies and crashes my zephyr a lot and hasn't broke anything on it yet.  IF he pile drives it the tail velcro pops loose, spine slides in the T a bit and thats it.  I just put the spine back in the nose close the velcor and its flying again.
Kitelife

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 11:03 PM »

So where can I get a replacement?

Kirby
See if Steve here at GWTW has a replacement t-piece for you... If not, PM me and I can suggest a couple of other places that may the part for you. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Adamld13

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 11:15 PM »

All im saying is until you can atleast do an axel on a kite like a quantum or nexus...i dont see the point in flying something like a kymera. I keep my quantum in my bag in case a new flyer wants to give it a try, i dont just let them fly anything..... To each their own.....

Kitelife

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44 PM »

Makes sense to me Adam.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 04:47 AM »

No, not crazy at all. There are some 11 year olds that can fly circles around 95% of the rest of us. Really, the cost of the kite doesn't matter, if you can get a kid interested in flying, it's worth the risk. Some of my friends though I was nuts giving my 2 year old son the lines of my Prism 4D for his first solo flights. Didn't matter, he had a blast, and the kite survived. Of course, now he calls it 'his kite'. Let him think that... he's got something he likes & is special to him, maybe it will help to keep his interest. Much better than one of those 4D-DS electronic gizmos.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50 AM »

I let the daughter fly our best kites at 6 or 7 years old although even the Spin-Off UL would cause a face plant when a gust hit. But she could always get her feet swung back in front of her while being dragged even by the Team Kite, dig in her heels and use the kites pull to pick her back up. She asked how to land the kite like I did one night, I held her hands and showed her then turned away for a few seconds when I heard her screaming, she had relaunched, flown to the other side and landed perfectly first try. Kids have a much larger capacity to learn new things then us old dogs, if they have an interest they'll be out flying you in a few weeks. She got her own Rev 2 within a year, as soon as they were introduced, and had control of it in a few minutes unlike me.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13 AM »

Quote from: Wayner link=topic=5695.msg59615#msg59615 date=1325649750
[quote author=Norm Pulliam link=topic=5695.msg59613#msg59613 I think you could add the French Flic-Flac to the list.
[/quote

What is the French Flic-Flac?

It is no more than an over rotated Flic-Flac. Rotate it until the nose is pointed back towards you and then unroll it.

I've got a short video of me doing a FFF with a Widowmaker UL , but I'd rather not waste bandwidth.

No, the FrenchFlicFlac is a backflip-frontflip-backflip-frontflip-backflip-frontflip, I guess you may start with the frontflip also.

Krijn
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2012, 12:03 PM »

A French flik flak aka the flip flop can be seen here @ about the 50 second mark.
Vendetta kite

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Adamld13

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2012, 01:12 PM »

I let the daughter fly our best kites at 6 or 7 years old although even the Spin-Off UL would cause a face plant when a gust hit. But she could always get her feet swung back in front of her while being dragged even by the Team Kite, dig in her heels and use the kites pull to pick her back up. She asked how to land the kite like I did one night, I held her hands and showed her then turned away for a few seconds when I heard her screaming, she had relaunched, flown to the other side and landed perfectly first try. Kids have a much larger capacity to learn new things then us old dogs, if they have an interest they'll be out flying you in a few weeks. She got her own Rev 2 within a year, as soon as they were introduced, and had control of it in a few minutes unlike me.

I guess it all depends on how experienced the flyer is , age doesn't matter.
Faceplant flyers shouldn't be flying 3-4 hundred dollar kites.
Well ..unless u have money to burn.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum