GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AoxomoxoA  (Read 2509 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 02, 2011, 09:00 AM »

Found this on another forum, not something I'd heard before so I thought I would share......

Aoxomoxoa

A divine feeling or transcendence gained by flying kites. A palindrome. Known popularly as the title of a Grateful Dead album.  You might find aoxomaxoa in the peaceful experience of flying a kite.

AoxomoxoA

" If you fly stunt kites to win competitions, you won't understand, but if you fly to give pleasure and entertain the audience, you might find AoxomoxoA

If tangled lines are an irritating frustration, you won't understand, but if you find untangling relaxing and therapeutic, you might find AoxomoxoA

If you buy rare and expensive kites and hang them on the wall, you won't understand, but if risk hand-painted washi-paper kites in the elements, you might find AoxomoxoA

If you're struggling to be the fastest buggier in the country, you won't understand, but if you dream of buggying across dry lakes in the gentle zephyrs at 2am, you might find AoxomoxoA

If you build your own kites to save money, you won't understand, but if you sew to try new ideas, you might find AoxomoxoA

If you wouldn't lend your kite to a stranger, you wouldn't understand, but if you're ready to loose or destroy anything you fly, you might find AoxomoxoA

If you enjoy buzzing noisy stunters on the beach, you wouldn't understand, but if you've found the pleasure of a simple, reliable single-line delta, you might find AoxomoxoA

Well, it ain't Nirvana, but AoxomoxoA is second best!"

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:36 PM »

Wow, that goes back to maybe 1994? A Dean Jordan thing?

The term was used a lot more in the past than these days. It doesn't fit so well with modern sport kite flying. Sort of an old skool thing. Like me.

I think that's one of the reasons for the increase in popularity of quads.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:42 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:55 PM »

From here, so not a bad guess. But don't call Dean a thing. That's just rude  Tongue He was, though, the one who bandied it about on r.k most frequently and even wrote it on his kites.

The term was used a lot more in the past than these days.

And no bugger knew what it meant back then either. I think I ended up with "having a good time" as being as close as I could get without wandering off with the fairies.

I always put that down to lack of imagination and simply giving up  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:33 PM »

I always put that down to lack of imagination and simply giving up  Wink

No, that's why I still fly like it's 1998.

Allen, AKA kitehead
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 03:04 AM »

Funny how this comes up in cycles. The feeling of being one with wind, kite, and pilot produces a zone of pseudo consciousness where fairies actually take the lines and let me watch myself fly.

It's great for troubleshooting.

...vdHTCvObi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
lylenc

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37 AM »

"Zen" is faster and easier to spell.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29 AM »

Oh my goodness, thank you!

I had seen this term, probably in one of the references mentioned above, some years ago, and have since spent too much time trying to track it down.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I've stuck the Urban Dictionary entry Hadge used in the Kites folder in my favorites.

Larry
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:27 PM »

THis is how people sound when they are so wasted words don't come out right and all they can do is mumble and slur speech.   Zen fits much better.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 07:15 PM »

The term was used a lot more in the past than these days. It doesn't fit so well with modern sport kite flying. Sort of an old skool thing. Like me.

I always got the impression the term have been alive, well, and still in use.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 09:12 PM »

Yup, in the traction world, where Dean and others of that stripe have had an ongoing involvement. It's only been the last couple of years that Dean's been back into sport kites, so we may see a resurgence in Aoxo.

The term "zen" is not a fitting substitute. It's more of a misused generic term these days.

Allen, AKA kitehead
WinterDaze

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:21 AM »

Got to love a palindrome, makes it far easier to remember how to spell it, but truth be told.....

I have no idea how to pronounce it... Roll Eyes

WinterDaze AoF
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24 AM »

+1

Undecided
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:48 AM »

You know it when you see it, I suppose!  Smiley

I am on a mini-vacation now on Whidbey Island for the week watching a heard of sheep.  The pasture is surrounded by trees, but I decided to give it a go anyhow with the HQ Shadow which has the right combination of drive and float that I thought it might just work out.

After my second 540 to fade, to flick flack to, backspin cascade, to 2-pop yoyo, to unroll, to jacobs ladder, to step ladder up, to comete all the way down, to one point landing, while the sheep cheered me on, all I can say is, however you pronounce 'AoxomoxoA', I think I was feeling it!  Smiley

6 kite tom
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10 PM »

Down Here it is "Ozomozo"

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
WinterDaze

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:21 PM »

lol Nice Kaos,

Australian: 'brutalizing the English language one word at a time' although... yous Americans are doing a bang up job also Cheesy

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography