GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 12:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took everyone advise on 540's  (Read 2684 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 03, 2011, 06:48 AM »

I spent a number of hours working it.  It was hot as hell yesterday.  When we got to the ball game it was 97 degree's.  Then we got rained out.  :'(

Total

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
in.divi.dual
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:55 AM »

A shocking waste of bandwidth, think of the carbon footprint, think of the poor polar bears.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:56 AM »

personally for a 540 i would put the WM away and pull out that Pro Dancer SUL you have......old skool kites do it better....more floaty....more time......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:37 AM »

Nice!

It was nice to watch in the comfort of being inside on a cool, rainy day. I know what it's like being outside in the heat and sweating bullets when you're flying. I can't do it for very long. I liked the narration  because you made it feel like we're there with you. I can appreciate the work you're doing as you're working on the 540s. I can do them on the right side of the window with my Deep Space and they look okay. I can't do it on the left side because I haven't figured out the inputs yet. Yesterday I got some 540s with my Nirvana LW (ul) and they weren't clean at all. It takes a lot of practice but I don't care because I like the satisfaction I get when I get a nice,  clean trick.

Bob D.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:38 AM »

Ok to the flier in the video:

Move forward to give slack, not to dive. If you are moving forward when you initiate the flare, your forward movement essentially cancels some of you arm movement.

Instead try walking backwards right until you go for the flare, when you then step aggressively forward and give the unbalanced slack to get that flare. Notice that if you keep walking now...that kite will stay flared. You can't do that now because you never get a completely stalled flare, which is also why it doesn't spin.

Hope this helps.

obi

...vdHTCvJJC

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:16 AM »

A shocking waste of bandwidth, think of the carbon footprint, think of the poor polar bears.

(I know i'm crawling right into the trolls lair, but i've held my tongue too long and maybe if we blow this out Steve will install the ignore member feature)

And Vert pay no attention to the ( | ) above, this is a FORUM -definition: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged - I for one enjoy the interchange of idea's, it makes you think. Your asking for help and posting video's forces other members to stop and think, to define what they are doing. Any good manager knows the BEST training method for a newer employee is to put them in charge of training the next employee, it forces them to think and you end up with a tenfold improved associate. You might be searching for help for yourself but by doing so you are probably improving every flyer who takes the time to watch your vid's and give a little thought to what they're seeing. Good on you.

Some people just don't get it and are poorly lacking in upbringing. Their direction in life is to discourage and disparage others, somehow they feel by attempting to drag others down to the level of their sorry existance it makes them a bigger person.

Sorry Steve  Sad
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:19 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kitegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:41 AM »

I really enjoy watching your video's. Keep on posting for those of us that can't do tricks it is great to see you progress in skill level. Giving the rest of us hope that someday we will also be able to do the same.

As far as the comment from in.divi.dual ignore him. I don't read the forum as much anymore as seems every time I do he is on blasting someone. He was never taught that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. Shame on you Fraz I mean in.divi.dual please remember as Mikenchico said about the definition of a forum and please use some manners. thank you

Again keep those videos coming!!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 11:57 AM »

I agree with obi - you almost have this in the bag.

You want to build sail pressure on the way down and then immediately release it on the uneven flare while taking a step forward as you push your arms forward, pulling for the spin when the kite is node away as you are doing, and then taking another step forward for the rotation all in one fluid motion (depending on kite, wind, and trick speed).

I think if you try to build sail pressure on the way down, and keep most of what you are currently doing, you will find the trick much much easier.

Tom

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 12:04 PM »

A shocking waste of bandwidth,

I disagree. This is a MUCH better use of bandwidth that many of the videos we see all the time with experienced pilots doing the same tricks over and over.

It is really helpful for folks learning how to fly to watch others in the learning process. For the individual flying in the video, it's like being at the field with a bunch of folks watching and giving advice. Priceless.

in.divi.dual, I don't know who you are, but it's your posts that are a waste of bandwidth. If you have a strong opinion about something, man up and get out from behind your screen name. Or is this such a scary place to disagree about stuff? Give me a break.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:08 PM »

Back on topic,

Avoid the high wind for learning 540s. While they are an excellent edge of the window trick in strong wind, the sideways motion of the kite is an added variable.

I still miss 540s more than any other trick I'm "good" at. I can do real nice ones, but I'm still at about 85%.

I do them with the same hand either side of the window. I don't know if that's harder, it's just how I learned.

Allen, AKA kitehead
John Welden

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:25 PM »

I agree with thief, pull out the pro dancer or maybe the Mamba if the winds are higher.

That flying field is absolutely ideal for kite flying.  (other than it being 97 degrees out)

Looks like you pretty much have the 540 figured out.  Bonus points for doing them in that heat...

If I were you I'd practice flares, flick flacks, axels and down wind glides.

I'd avoid running or quickly walking down wind before the 540 because it makes it more difficult to stay in control.  How much speed are you really bleeding off anyway?  It's possible to flare in high winds if you swing your arms from behind to in front of you and take a big step. The key is to do it as quickly as possible. Like tiger woods golf club swing quick.
Hadge

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 12:46 PM »

The 540 is a trick that I have only recently mastered myself, it's harder than it looks to get the inputs and timings just right. Having watched your video ( and I am no way any sort of expert!) it looks as though you need to give some more slack to the initial fade to get to nose up.  If you watch, on the times you get it nearly right the nose has gone well up beyond the horizontal.  When your flare is 'flatter' it goes wrong. Try moving in towards the kite more on the flare also watch the pop for the rotation isn't 'too' hard.  I found Randy G's tutorial very helpful when I was learning.  Keep it up! you are so very nearly there and when you get it right the 540 is one of the nicest looking tricks out there.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
roisinroisin21

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 02:16 PM »

It is really helpful for folks learning how to fly to watch others in the learning process. For the individual flying in the video, it's like being at the field with a bunch of folks watching and giving advice. Priceless

+1

Simon

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 02:40 PM »

Hey Joe. Looking good.  Cheesy

For those who commented, Joe was doing some SLICK 540s on his Black Mamba on wednesday, and did a few on my PDSUL right before the sun went down. Gets better and better every time.

Keep truckin' joe, the judges (whoever they'll be) at KoBC are going to be super impressed with all the progress you've been making sence Kzoo. No doubt about it  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ace

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 03:46 PM »

Yo Emmett! I was looking for the Flying Delorean and the Flux capacitor at one stage Wink

Seriously, all jokes aside that's some great progress and good dedication.......

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document