GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 540 No way Vertigo ...  (Read 931 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 01, 2011, 07:31 PM »

The wind was very high I flew the side window.  Had a great night yesterday camera set on 360 no 1080hd.  Video sucked... :'( :'(... But had a great day sang to Mike but video sucked quailty wise. 

Shane I don't know what it is,but you got me going real strong last two days.  Watching you fly really has me pushing myself.. That Inspirational thing...  Grin

540.wmv

Mike is this a 540 Huh  Cheesy

found a cure.wmv
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:14 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 10:20 PM »

Every single time I watch a video or see you on Wednesdays, something is constantly better. Totally motivational. I've been applying that kind of drive not only to kiting, but also to a lot of stuff in the horn playing world and it's been really keeping me going over summer when there isn't a college ensemble to play in. Thanks for that  Smiley Can't wait for wednesday. I still think the snaplazy's next!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:18 AM »

Mike is this a 540 Huh  Cheesy

That's a real good start IMO, properly the exit should be straight up the same way you entered so it fell just short of a textbook 540. You have the uneven throw down and starting the spin with the short hand (that's where I get hung up).

I guess that last 90 degrees is the tricky part

Quote from:  the old Pete Peters instructions
540 Flat Spin
The 540 Flat Spin starts off with a vertical dive. Bring your arms behind you to prepare for a Dead Stop. Stop the kite by throwing both arms forward. This should flatten out the kite with the nose pointing away from you (Pancake position) Some kites like a very fast Kill (Stranger, Box of Tricks) others prefer a slightly slower Kill (Phantom Elite, MEFM). The trick is to Kill the kite slightly unevenly. If you're going to "pop" it with your right hand, then let your left hand lead slightly when throwing your arms forward. This will Kill the kite with the nose pointing slightly to the left. After that a firm "pop" with the right hand immediately followed by lots of slack on both hands should initiate a Flat Spin. As long as you want the kite to spin you have to leave a lot of slack in your lines. Allow the kite to rotate one and a half times (540 degrees...). The last 1/4 turn is the tricky part. The kite can catch the wind and not want to turn up. You can help it along by a short gentle tug of the left hand. This extra tug takes a lot of practice to get right, but eventually will allow you to give it an extra revolution or two (and even reverse direction).

The next description was taken from 2 postings from rec.kites and must be the clearest one possible...

In case anyone's not sure, the 540 Flat Spin goes like this

• The kite starts flying directly downwards towards the ground.
  • At some point before the kite hits the ground (and the lower you go the more impressive it is, but also more risky), you throw both arms forwards so that the kite flattens out, with the nose pointing away from you and the front of the kite now facing the ground.
  • A gentle tug (I tend to use the word "pop") on one line should start the kite rotating flat as if it was impaled on an imaginary pole sticking up from the ground.
  • After 540 degrees (1 and 1/2 rotations), the kite should still be flat facing the ground (or nearly flat) but with the nose now pointing towards you.
  • A gentle pull on both lines makes the kite sit up and fly off upwards.

As simple as that? Well actually, no. There are a few subtle things that you have to get right to perform the 540 Flat Spin and unless you know what you're looking for, they can be difficult to get right.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:54 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:21 AM »

Yeah, inputs are essentially there.

Try to make the throw out of slack with your left hand faster.  This will kill the momentum of the kite just a bit more, and set it up for a better flatter spin.  The kite was almost level in the flare, so that was very nice.  Also, think about giving a very quick 4 inches of slack to the right side before your pop to spin.  It makes the input sharper, so the kite will spin a bit faster.

The last thing...you needed to take one more step forward.  You appear to be trying to limit the amount of slack to 'just enough'.  Not a good strategy.  First try to find out what too much is.  On your way toward too much, you'll see the kite at some point will start to really spin flat and free and you'll say 'Yeah, that's it!!!'.  Anyway, that's why the kite exited to the left.

Make sure you explore the opposite hand.  The earlier you do tricks on both side, the less you will be trapped on one side.  It's good advice esp. when starting out.  The sooner you make this a habit, the better you will be later on.

Nice work,
obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:10 AM »

Thanks guys for instructions.  I needed to hear that.  The wind was almost 14mph last night.  The day before they were smoother and ended up going up straight.  But I needed to hear and read what I need to improve on.  I watched mark on the Preimer video on 540 and saw his one hand back as he threw forward.  Obe was right I need to go forward more and extend out to find out how much is too far... Thanks

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44 AM »

There was a posting on the old site that gave a  nice tip. Turn one shoulder towards the kite when you slack the lines and keep one hand by your hip. The kite will flatten out and then you pull on the line with the hand by your hip to start the rotation. I'm not an expert at it but I can get it occasionally.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document