GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 05:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Hybrid 240 - Center Spine  (Read 837 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 01, 2011, 05:57 AM »

Anyone who has the HQ Hybrid 240, can you please let me know what was used as a center spine in your kite.  The one I purchased came with the thin tube small diameter carbon tube, which same type of tube was used for the upper leading wing spars and spreader.  It is my understanding that Horvath's other kites in this size range, such as The Long Way Home, use a Skyshark wrapped carbon tube, which is much stiffer.

Still having problems getting this kite to float and soar in light to no winds.  This kite has quite a bit of bow in the center spine.  Thank you.

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:35 AM »

how long is it?
is there a sleeve it goes into?   could just pop a p100 in there and test it out....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:28 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion and I have other ultra light wrapped frames that I could use to replace the existing center spine.  I am just trying to verify the stock settings to get this kite flying the best it can before I have to resort to changing how it was built.  It is my understanding that Thomas Horvath put a lot of effort into developing this type of kite and I wish to keep this kite stock and get it dialed in to obtain its best possible flight characteristics.

When I built one of Thomas Horvath's great little Urban Ninjas, the plans directed you to start with two wraps of the Z-Line around the spreader.  On the HQ Hybrid 240 that I purchased, it came with the Z-Line wrapped 4 times around the spreader, which provides a Z-Distance of 4 7/16" from the face of the sail (where the Z-Line is attached), to the center of the spreader (where the Z-Line is attached).  I just changed the Z-Line to two wraps around the spreader, which lengthens the Z-Distance to 5 5/8".  This took most of the excessive bow out of the center spine and may cure the porpoising problem that was occurring even with the nose weight that I added.

When the wind dies down again in the evening, I will give it a try.  It would be helpful to know how Thomas Horvath wished to have this kite setup for the ideal stock settings.  Once I get it dialed in, I will share with you my settings.

Doug

Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:17 PM »

The Long Way Home uses 2pt as center spine and as both leading edges. In the center, the small end goes forward. For a really light center, and probably improved stiffness too, you could use one of the new Zero Air rods. On the Like a Rolling Stone UL, all the spars are micro-carbon, but Thomas suggested somewhere on his website that a G-force Skinny could be used as a replacement center spine to add a bit of performance outdoors. I haven't done yet.
Doug S

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 01:25 PM »

Lee,

Thanks for the note.  I do have some old Skyshark Zeros and new Skyshark 2PTs that I could try out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum