GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 10:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kymera Photos Up  (Read 2225 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 04, 2011, 11:35 PM »

Several in-air and detail shots start at the linked photo below:

Didn't really get a chance to fly the kite.
High Temperature 95F
High Humidity 25% (sorry, I misread the chart the first time, it was not 10% as initially stated)
High Altitude 2300 ft

Winds around 6 mph. I couldn't fly the kite unless I pumped and/or backed up. The kite is set quite heavy and has several weights which must be left on (you could take off the keel weight if you could protect the flap). The kite was just at the point of flying and would vacillate between loading up and flying or dropping like a stone. Personally, I would classify it as a slightly heavy standard.

Looking forward to flying it in better conditions although I am nowhere near the pilot JB is. I could tell from the little I was able to attempt that my timing will have to change drastically to deal with the large weights.

Overall build quality is quite good as can be verified by looking at the detail shots. Perhaps a little nose trim and a more adjustable bridle, along with a keel weight replacement and I would be a happy camper. But then, it would probably cost more than the sub-$200 mark ITW was going for. Are the keeper lines supposed to be active by the way? The kite rolls up easily.

Nice job JB and ITW. Too much weight for my taste personally, but I am not the trick shot many others are.  Smiley
My thanks to Kent Kingston for the loan of the kite.

WARNING: The last shot is a close-up of my sweaty face without makeup.  Huh
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:44 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:32 AM »

having been the one to assemble this kite from its factory state they included a couple niceties which weren't mentioned. if you like strap wraps on your kite, they've included a nice wide ITW branded wrap. a personal favorite, and something which to me should come with every kite, end caps, are also included.

the quality of the stitching and assembly of the sail appear to be excellent. whoever sewed the particular sail we had was paying VERY close attention to what they were doing. they did a great job.

there were two points of concern for me though.
the two 5g weights at the center tee don't appear to be removable, contrary to what's stated on the included instruction sheet.
there is some confusion as to whether the bridle is active, or the keeper line not right. the bottom of the active leg/keeper line is attached to the inhaul leg with a larkshead which allows the leg to slide freely. in either case it would seem the knot should be immovable (ie. double sheet bend).

it's nitpicking, but the instruction sheet isn't perfectly clear as to how to tension the leading edge. the spreaders are clearly skyshark but we couldn't find it stated whether the leading edges too were skyshark.

no flight report as our wind didn't cooperate on friday. many thanks again to kent for bringing new toys for us to play with.

Fdeli
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:46 AM »

Oops, I went over the chart for weather conditions  from yesterday.

The relative humidity was 25%, not 10%. For Las Vegas, it was very muggy.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07 AM »

Awesome pics! Always loved the way that kite's looked. Been really anxious to try one. Maybe some day   Smiley

Looking forward to hearing your guys' reports on the kite.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:23 PM »

Looking at the top left photo of this composite:

It does appear that the upper center-T C-clip above the weight is causing a crease point against the sail, just above the reinforcement material. This could lead to a wear spot over time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:58 PM by chilese » Logged

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:20 PM »

That's a really nice looking kite.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:28 PM »

Interesting photo and comments on the kite. 

I noticed that the prototype kite JB was flying at seaside also had some billow to it, so I think it is def. part of the design.   Anyone care to comment what billow does for you in a dual line?  (I don't know but am curious).

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:24 PM »

I am not an expert, but.....

I would use the words billow and broadseam as interchangeable.

Basically, the sail does not lay flat when laid out on a table with the frame removed.

The sail is sewn to "cup" the wind.

Kites which have used broadseaming: Stripes, Mojo, AirFX.

Kites which are using broadseaming: Revolution 1.5 (just from the look of some photos I've studied) and Kymera.

The sail "inflates" when the wind hits it. Instead of the wind deflecting off a stiff surface, the wind is "directed" toward an exit vector. An inflated sail should be more efficient. Look at any racing sailboat. The sails are not flat, but shaped.

How a broadseamed kite will react teamed with modern, heavily weighted, trick kite will be left to the user to decide. Certainly, in JB's hands, the Kymera is a trickster.

To me, the Kymera is going to be about managing the "impact" of a sail unloading and loading as it starts and finishes a trick.

On an additional note, the Kymera in a fade should produce a sail shape more like a traditional wing in it's normal flight position, instead of the bow of a boat, which most modern, rigid sail kites do.

I had hoped one of the experts, Ken McNeill, Ron Graziano, (Paul Shuman, long out of kiting) would answer this.

Please feel free to correct any of this.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:54 AM by chilese » Logged

AlexanderH
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44 AM »

I think your insight is quite accurate. The kite's sail design maybe be designed to trap the wind, but I found it was still difficult to fly the kite. I never knew the kite didn't lay flat when the rods were removed. I would also agree I had problems keeping the kite flying when I tried it at the Kite Party. It is heavy do to the weight, and it takes more effort to keep wind in the sail. I found even with the sail shape, the wind is nocked out of the kite easily, which is great for tricks. I would have to say square turns were difficult on this kite. Truely JB makes this kite look amazing when he flies.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:46 AM by AlexanderH » Logged
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:40 AM »

Didn't the designer fly his Sea Devils with about 50g in the tail??  I think he did.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:37 AM »

it's nitpicking, but the instruction sheet isn't perfectly clear as to how to tension the leading edge. the spreaders are clearly skyshark but we couldn't find it stated whether the leading edges too were skyshark.

Sorry this didn't come across clearly in the instruction sheet... I understand, shades of the Sea Devil wing tips, well - not quite. lol

Here is the detail on wing tip tensioning, 2:23 in the video below, should start at that time if my link works properly on this forum:

http://youtu.be/AgHexOZ2LRY?t=2m23s

Everything is P300, except for the spine and top spreader... The bridle isn't dynamic - 3-point with a keeper line.

Let me know if I can answer anything else, sorry I didn't catch this discussion earlier. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:39 AM by Kitelife » Logged

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum