GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 09:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50' or 120' with 50# line  (Read 1273 times)
Dan
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 06, 2011, 07:30 PM »

.I'm fairly new to the sport. I just recently bought a nirvana
sul. I've been flying it with 50' 50# line that comes with the
prism zephyr. I just ordered some laser pro gold 50# at 300yards
I've never flew my nirvana sul with no more than 50' lines.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:11 PM »

Here is my 2 cents;
 the downside;if its a sul then the wind will be low and the extra line will weigh the kite down some diminishing its sul-ness. 120' is alot of distance between you and the kite, you may find your not 'connected' well at that length if you are trying to do slack line tricks, if your just flying figures and percision then then it maybe ok. Quality of wind may make the decsion for you as well.
the upside, it does give you a wider window.
Personally I rarely fly longer then 100' unless the wind is up
ymmv

Sine Metu!
kitebug
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:37 PM »

On 50# I would not go past 100ft.

Cisco

Volando!
Cisco
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:56 PM »

hopefully someone with the same kite chimes in. most kites have a line length they like best .try going to Th manufactures site and see what there recommendation is.its a place to start anyway i usually fly my sul's on 50ft and on a whim went to 75 WAY better with that kite

have fun kurt
johnfarl

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:37 PM »

I like longer lines to learn on.  More time and more space. At a certain point you lose connection with the kite.  For 50# I like about 120 foot for competition (ballet), 130 feet for precision.  Then for tricks about 100 feet.  There is just a little less bow in the line but you still have a decent window.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:42 PM »

Since you are already using 50' line, how do you like them?
That's a great length for the real light stuff. Personally, I would keep it under 75' in real light winds. I generally keep it under 85' in any wind Grin

I fly in UL / SUL winds a lot and I usually fly #80 lb @ 60-70'. My most used UL set is 80# 58' with 6' leaders. I still use 50# if the wind is super light and stays that way, say under 2mph but mostly I just use the 80# in light wind no matter what. If it picks up or is fluctuating and you're flying a full sized kite like a Nirvana, the 50s can easily break.

Another thing, and why I always use leaders even in light wind, is that if you are tricking and wrapping the line around the kite, thin line can cut into the kite. I use leaders every time I fly.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16 AM »

I've flown with 120'x50# lines out in 5mph-8mph winds multiple times without any issues. I've even got 120'x30# lines, for the lightest conditions.

I'm an inland flier, at my field, the winds from 15' down are wonky. The long lines help me get over the turbulent air. In the dreaded light and variable winds, I'll go to a shorter line set.

Jay
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:27 AM »

Fly what you like. At 50# weight, the lines will make only a minor difference.

I have 2 50# line sets.

50' x 50#
100' x 50#

More of a what kind of mood am I in type of choice.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Dan

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 03:51 AM »

Thank you all for the input
Very helpful
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37 AM »

hmm you got 50# 50' with your zephyr? weird - mine were 50# x 75' and 90# x 100'
As mentioned above - fly with whatever you prefer. 50' is a little short for a full sized kite IMHO.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography