GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 01:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sport Kite or Stunt Kite ?  (Read 4607 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: July 07, 2011, 06:52 AM »

Hey there...

This is something that I was thinking about last night...

2 or 4 line kiting, is it a 'sport' or a pastime ? The side by side trick competition is the only activity that I can think of that is kind of a grey area, it almost makes kite flying a sport. Maybe speed kiting, too.

I think of the definition of sports as what would be in the Olympics, or what people would watch on TV. But that gets a little grey, because people watch things like golf, bowling, and darts on TV. I mean, darts might be a sport if the players threw the darts at each other...

I don't know, I'd like to hear other's thoughts, could be interesting.

~Rob.

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:13 AM »

2 or 4 line kiting, is it a 'sport' or a pastime ?

It's a sporting pastime, like competitive eating. For instance, UK Sport - the body that replaced the British Sports Council - does not recognise what we do as a sport but does recognise swimming, which has a sporting~competitive element but is not mainly carried out as a sport (in my case it's a means of escape in extreme situations).

We humans can turn almost anything into a competition and ergo a sport. It doesn't mean that the activity is in itself or primarily a sport. Although there is a section in this very forum called Sport Kites we don't talk about them primarily in a sporting context.

Mike,
sport.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:15 AM »

It probably depends on how strict you want to be with the definition. I've been a cyclist since I was 14 but I don't compete but I try to ride hard and get a little better every time I go out. Is it a hobby or a sport? Is a sport anything where you're getting some kind of exercise or use some kind of skill? If you're practicing snap stalls in 10+ wind, you're doing a lot of running to keep the stall. I'd probably go with sport. If you're flying a SLK maybe it's a hobby. --sport kite--

Bob D.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:44 AM »

It probably depends on how strict you want to be with the definition.

Which reminds me - we are all using the same definition of "sport", aren't we ?

Please note the "competition" aspect on which sport stands or falls. Thus:-
  • Virtual Freestyle is a sporting event
  • "Is this a 540 ?" is not

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:48 AM »

I won't get into sport or hobby, it is what you make it I think.

But we started using the term Sport Kite over Stunt Kite because the term 'Stunt' sort of denoted a dangerous aspect and there has long been a concern that an accident could get us banned from some parks.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RonG
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05 AM »

In a nutshell.

Some people approach it as a kind of sport - competitive, and demanding a certain level of fitness and conditioning.  Flying aggressively at either extreme of the wind range requires both the mind and body to be up to the task.

Lots of folks approach it as a relaxing hobby - no rules, points, or doing anything that isn't comfortable or fun.

Both are valid ways to spend time on the kite field.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42 AM »

for some its just an addiction!!

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 09:14 AM »

It's more of a sport than a stunt.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22 AM »

Surely a 'Sport' is a competitive match between 2 or more teams of 1 or more persons whereas a 'Pastime' is a non competitive recreational activity......this has nothing to do with the fact that the bylaws at my local field states that "no sports other than Football and Cricket may be played" whereas "Recreational Pastimes are permitted"   Grin

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:27 AM »

I don't think competition is necessary for an activity to be a sport.

The vast majority of skiers, snowboarders, kiteboarders, bikers, runners, etc, never compete or even have access to competition but to say snow skiing or mountain biking isn't a sport seems odd.

I don't care if kiting is called a sport, I just don't like the term stunt.

Allen, AKA kitehead
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:32 AM »

One of the problems has always been the lack of a definition of a 'sport'. However now the Olympic committee has said they will no longer accept any subjectively judged activities as sports, it does kind of rule out kiting as a sport.

A bit of a bummer since you can get grants for sports.

Hah we got there - the Olympics, its like Godwin's law for kites  Cheesy

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 12:14 PM »

He said the "O" word!   Huh

Allen, AKA kitehead
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:27 PM »

Why does it have to be either?
To me, they're dual line and quad line kites.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 12:45 PM »

4 lines good

2 lines better

(Animal Farm reference)  Cheesy

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 01:50 PM »

But we started using the term Sport Kite over Stunt Kite because the term 'Stunt' sort of denoted a dangerous aspect and there has long been a concern that an accident could get us banned from some parks.

Numerous people have come up to me while flying and ask "how do you do that with a kite". I usually assume they are not familar with sport/stunt kites so I tell them this is a kite specifically designed for doing tricks. They usually reply "oh a trick kite". I find myself more and more calling it trick flying or kiting. If I am ever in your area I will refrain from mentioning to the Parks people that I am going out to do a few tricks with my kite. Who knows what they might conclude.  Lips sealed
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document