GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sport Kite or Stunt Kite ?  (Read 4532 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 03:12 PM »

i am fairly well known for pulling stunts.. so i am going with sport kite whether it is or not  Grin

have fun kurt
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 04:05 PM »

What about 'Freestyle'?

I find I say "I use a sports kite to fly freestyle", & after the next Q: "What is Freestyle?" I say something like "you know that a kite can do circles and squares, well they can do other things too, I like to do the other things" then I offer to get her a drink....

WinterDaze AoF
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 05:34 PM »

I say sport kites.

I don't like to use stunt.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter.  No one cares.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 06:04 PM »

Why does it have to be either?
To me, they're dual line and quad line kites.  Wink

Denny

I agree

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 06:16 PM »

+1 to John Weldens comment. I don't think it matters at all. Sport kite is what I've used since I was little.

(Edited the word for you Denny.  Huh lol)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:06 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 06:44 PM »

Ok... swimming was mentioned. Side by side competitive swimming is certainly a sport, but diving... well, that's more of a skill. I guess that comes down to the mention of a subjectively judged activity. I would agree that anything that falls in that catagory isn't really a sport.
 Ice skating was made into a sport with the addition of sticks & pucks...
Activities like mountain biking, skiing, running and the like are sports because there is the possibility to engage in side by side competition with others, and the element of risk to the participants.
I guess it comes down to what Mike said, anything can be made into a sport. The side by side trick off is a good example of that. So, is kiting a sport ? It could be...  Grin

Thanks !

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 07:27 PM »

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means

A stunt is an unusual and difficult physical feat, or any act requiring a special skill, performed for artistic purposes in TV, theatre, or cinema.

I like stunt kiting because I am unusual and difficult

but at the end of the day, gotta agree with JW

Sine Metu!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 08:43 PM »

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means

I know a few rock climbers that would seriously disagree with your definition of a sport.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06 PM »

is it a sport if you play on this?:
http://www.gadgetgrid.com/2009/05/08/worlds-first-ever-clear-pool-table/

Sine Metu!
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 08:07 AM »

I think the answer is 14. That's how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, which is a little bit like this question.

To me, a sport may or may not be organized, competitive, etc. I think that physical skill and movement/physical activity are intrinsic components of "sport".

One of the other obsessions in my life is playing tournament bridge. Several years ago there was a (completely ludicrous IMO) attempt to get bridge included in the Olympics. One look at the field of ANY organized bridge game would be enough to dispell any notions of it being a sport. In most tournaments, the pairs sitting East-West move to a different table every 2-3 hands while the North-South pairs remain at the same table for the entire game. We refer to East-West as "aerobic bridge".

Finally, bridge, chess, Go, etc. were collected into a "mind games" Olympic style competition - games, not sport.
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 08:21 AM »

First, define 'sport'. Then, judge whether kiting/bridge/figure skating/football/snowboarding/whatever fits this definition. If you don't start with defining 'sport' you keep running around in circles (which may be a sport in itself, depending on the definition).

Personally, I couldn't care less whether flying kites is considered a sport/pastime/hobby/addiction; I like doing it in the way I'm doing it. It's probably different things to different people at different times under different circumstances.

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 08:30 AM »

No real preference unless think about it. Often refer to them as 2-line, 4-line, or stunt kites to lemmings; dual line or quad kites to those that know something about kites. Usually, whatever pops into my mind first is spoken or written.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 08:47 AM »

Chilese classification of sport or skill:

SKILL: The better you get, the less you get to do (Golf, Darts, Bowling (perfect game = 12 throws))

SPORT: Not the above (tennis, football, baseball, hockey)

Every rule needs an exception:

STILL A SPORT: (timed events (running, swimming))

Undefinable: Competitive eating.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 09:08 AM »

Thats why they are Dual line kites and Quad line kites and Single line kites........ Wink

(never found Three line kites to roll off the tongue as easily as those others though).....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 09:35 AM »

Thats why they are Dual line kites and Quad line kites and Single line kites........ Wink

(never found Three line kites to roll off the tongue as easily as those others though).....

Tri-Line rolls off the tongue   Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document