GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 07:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Trick ?  (Read 4314 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: July 07, 2011, 10:14 AM »

New Trick ?

O K here's a launch I do that I have never seen anyone else do. That doesn't mean that it hasn't been done or doesn't have a name but I don't know of it. I used to call it a "Pop N' Roll" but lately have been calling it "Swish and Flick" in reference to the Hogwarts students learning magic in the Harry Potter books. Hey, I have kids Wink

The trick is a pop up launch straight into a roll up but the pop up it done with one hand. Put the kite nose away on the ground slightly askew. Then hit or "Swish" the hand of the wing that is slightly away. Add slack. If done correctly the kite will pop up with the nose forward toward the pilot. Then hit or "flick" both hands for a roll up. That's it. Looks cool no matter the origin.

Swish and Flick Trick

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:22 AM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:28 AM »

I like that - the slightly askew start means it barrel rolls into position for the roll up  Cool

I've seen/done roll ups from a pop up launches but always square, not from the skewed start. Nice.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:30 AM »

"Leviosa"

Allen, AKA kitehead
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:11 PM »

I like that.  Not sure it's new, but it may remain unnamed.  I am pretty sure I have actually seen that done before in Holland...but I don't think Lars ever thought of it as anything more than reacting to a kite position after starting like that accidentally.  When you see that nose hanging there toward you, your brain just reacts.

Very good show for exploring this.  I wonder if a kite needs to have a tendency to barrel roll from that position. 

But SERIOUSLY.  Flick and swish?  Hell no.  H to the E to the double L No ho.  Barrel yo-start. 

obi 

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:31 PM »

Thats sweet. Thanks for posting. Not sure about names but hey, if you're the first one to name it (not saying you are, but you get my drift) then we'll follow suit. Hopefully  Cheesy

Keep'em coming.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46 PM »

Personally, I prefer descriptive names such as "yo-fade".

Lewis, Insane, etc.? Don't like it.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 01:50 PM »

Nice trick but I have seen similar combos starting with a pop up launch before.  The pop up launch whether done straight on or askew like yours by itself is a neat launch when done clean and can lead into a lot of tricks.  Here's a list of a few combos I've seen Dave Minzel do on a lix and eclipse.  popup-540, popup-axel. popup-lazy/multilazy/JL, popup-flare turn-tip stand.  I'm sure there are a lot more that have been done from a popup launch but like Obi said, most that have done it don't really think of it as a trick or trick combo.  Alternate launches like the popup, sleeping beauty, cartwheel, leading edge launch(hard on a lot of straight LE kites) have become passe' in the freestyle kiting realm and not even considered tricks as have landings like the summersault/ground roll.

Nice work Dolphin now if I can issue you a friendly challenge try the sleeping beauty launch- yoyo combo.  I've been trying it and have gotten a couple of times but mostly end up in a flap jack or k2000 start.  Classic stuff with a new twist, fun Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:54 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Dolphinboy

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 02:03 PM »

I do hit the Sleeping Beauty to roll up but i've seen that before. Many named tricks are combos of other tricks.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:24 PM »

I do hit the Sleeping Beauty to roll up but i've seen that before. Many named tricks are combos of other tricks.
True and most are built use the basic positions, FLare, fade, backflip, front flip and incorporate or built on the axel/1/2 axel, lazy susan, 540.  Now there's something useul to a beginner.  A list of the positions and tricks starting from it as well as the basic trick (i.e. Axel) and the variations built from it.  I saw a flow chart once that did something similar and I think Mike (zippy) had a list on FA a while back.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:36 PM »

I think if you check the Prism Trick Show vid you will see something quite similar with out the roll up. It was an artifact of the illusion to have the nose come forward in a pop up launch like that, not necessarily a good or bad thing, just something that kite would do sometimes. Other kites as well, the Gem comes to mind, but I specifically remember getting that on the Illy. Don't remember it having a name.

That is certainly a nice combo you have there, but I'm with the dissenters on the name. Swish and Flick? I don't think so.. Smiley
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:29 PM »

I think if you check the Prism Trick Show vid you will see something quite similar with out the roll up.

Kind of like how a Backflip is similar to a Lazy Susan but without the rotation part Wink I appreciate the info though.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 10:45 PM »

I assume the part that makes this combo somewhat unusual is not the roll up. It's the kite turning after the uneven pop up and the nose coming forward. That is what I was addressing. Anyway, like I said nice combo.

I think if you check the Prism Trick Show vid you will see something quite similar with out the roll up.

Kind of like how a Backflip is similar to a Lazy Susan but without the rotation part Wink I appreciate the info though.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 10:48 PM »

It's all good, that just kind of made me laugh a little Smiley The trick is really a 180 flat spin launch to a roll up.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 10:51 PM »

I think it stands as trick.  If you can do it reliably and no one else is doing it or can't without some time investment, it's a trick.  

Lam has one he calls the roller coaster.  Kite roars up the window, rotates back towards you, and then immediately yo-yos with the nose rotating toward you.  

I also see many lifter oriented tricks that I would say are unique, particulary since many kites can't even do them.

I suppose you can break most tricks down to their individual basic moves, but that feels a bit deconstructionist to me.  Just like a good meal is much more than the sum of it's basic ingredients.  

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08 PM »

I saw a flow chart once that did something similar and I think Mike (zippy) had a list on FA a while back.

This is:-
  • brilliant
  • nothing to do with me

The two above facts may be linked. I would draw your attention to this post which I do take credit~blame for.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document