GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 10:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Trick ?  (Read 4905 times)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 11:15 PM »

I suppose you can break most tricks down to their individual basic moves, but that feels a bit deconstructionist to me.  Just like a good meal is much more than the sum of it's basic ingredients.   

maybe so, but if you put a piece of cheese on a hamburger it doesn't make it a jiminyjackrabbit, it makes it a cheeseburger.

how about? if it needs more than a hyphen, it needs a new name.

Fdeli
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 11:21 PM »

I suppose you can break most tricks down to their individual basic moves, but that feels a bit deconstructionist to me.  Just like a good meal is much more than the sum of it's basic ingredients.   

maybe so, but if you put a piece of cheese on a hamburger it doesn't make it a jiminyjackrabbit, it makes it a cheeseburger.

how about? if it needs more than a hyphen, it needs a new name.

180 roll up start? no that sounds lame. 180 Yo? too similar to the quad team plus it doesn't unroll so it's not really a Yo-Yo. Pop n' Roll? that's what I've always called it but it's not the most catchy name.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 01:00 AM »

I saw a flow chart once that did something similar and I think Mike (zippy) had a list on FA a while back.

This is:-
  • brilliant
  • nothing to do with me

The two above facts may be linked. I would draw your attention to this post which I do take credit~blame for.

Mike.
Thanks mike thats the flow chart I was looking for.
Ca Ike

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 01:02 AM »

I actualy think this is well said and very true so I'm reposting it here.

This is a paraphrasing (into Stuntkitese) from a very clever book about yoyoing called the Yonomicon. I believe it has lessons that can be of value to us all.

Tricks no one taught you.

You should never say that "I invented a trick." There are two reasons: First is that tricks are like spirits, they exist on their own. We don't make them, they just fly in, possess our kites for a few seconds and then fly on.

The less spiritual reason is that very often someone, somewhere, at sometime has done the trick before you. The Old Masters have done things with a kite that you can't imagine. That's why when someone asks you if you invented that trick you should say, "Well no one taught it to me." Never claim to have created a trick. It's a matter of respect for the spirits and the Old Masters.

But that aside, coming up with tricks, meeting new spirits, is great fun and is often how we learn a lot of our tricks. There are a few ways that this usually occurs. The first is when these things just happen. You miss one trick but it turns into another one, a random idea runs into you, a spirit walks up and introduces itself, you think "that was cool, but what if I These are all great ways and where a lot of great tricks are born. When it happens, do it again without thinking about it. Then think about it. Unconscious layers of your memory will remember these moves, then once they get it down, try to have your conscious memory remember. Or grab a friend and have them watch you. Use their conscious memory.

Another way to come up with tricks is hybriding. Hybriding a trick is taking part of one trick and attaching another part of another trick. Anytime you end up in a position that is in another trick, you can skip over to that trick at that point.

The main thrust of the book is that tricks can be broken down into a fairly small number of discrete moves and holds. I believe that the same applies to kites and that even the gnarliest combo. is simply that: a combination of a subset of these basics.

Of course, the question then becomes do we want to do this ? It's not exactly freestyle now is it. Although it may be polyvalent.

Mike.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 08:49 AM »

I actualy think this is well said and very true so I'm reposting it here.

This is a paraphrasing (into Stuntkitese) from a very clever book about yoyoing called the Yonomicon. I believe it has lessons that can be of value to us all.

Tricks no one taught you.

You should never say that "I invented a trick." There are two reasons: First is that tricks are like spirits, they exist on their own. We don't make them, they just fly in, possess our kites for a few seconds and then fly on.

The less spiritual reason is that very often someone, somewhere, at sometime has done the trick before you. The Old Masters have done things with a kite that you can't imagine. That's why when someone asks you if you invented that trick you should say, "Well no one taught it to me." Never claim to have created a trick. It's a matter of respect for the spirits and the Old Masters.

But that aside, coming up with tricks, meeting new spirits, is great fun and is often how we learn a lot of our tricks. There are a few ways that this usually occurs. The first is when these things just happen. You miss one trick but it turns into another one, a random idea runs into you, a spirit walks up and introduces itself, you think "that was cool, but what if I These are all great ways and where a lot of great tricks are born. When it happens, do it again without thinking about it. Then think about it. Unconscious layers of your memory will remember these moves, then once they get it down, try to have your conscious memory remember. Or grab a friend and have them watch you. Use their conscious memory.

Another way to come up with tricks is hybriding. Hybriding a trick is taking part of one trick and attaching another part of another trick. Anytime you end up in a position that is in another trick, you can skip over to that trick at that point.

The main thrust of the book is that tricks can be broken down into a fairly small number of discrete moves and holds. I believe that the same applies to kites and that even the gnarliest combo. is simply that: a combination of a subset of these basics.

Of course, the question then becomes do we want to do this ? It's not exactly freestyle now is it. Although it may be polyvalent.

Mike.

Although that sounds real nice and I agree with some of it, the reality is if we are communicating with others about tricks, it simplifies it to give them names.

I have discovered many tricks on my own only to find out they are commonly done by others. The trick I posted above is a "trick" as far as I'm concerned and I haven't seen anyone do it but myself. It's a trick because a regularly do it and it's not some random combination that just happened to be caught on video. It's in my trick bag Grin

I don't need or care about credit but I'd like to know if others do it and if it has a common name. If not, lets name it.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 09:06 AM »

was it Andy Preston who said that for "something to be a trick it had to be repeatable by others" as well?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Dolphinboy

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 09:22 AM »

was it Andy Preston who said that for "something to be a trick it had to be repeatable by others" as well?

I don't agree with that at all. What if someone does an unbelievably difficult trick that no one else can hit? What if it's super cool looking too? What if they do it in front of others and people are like "Holy Crap, that so cool" but no one else can hit it? It's still a trick.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Crescent City
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26 AM »

Ive been working on the swish-flick launch ever since I saw James do it.  Its actually pretty easy once I got the timing down.  Nice dramatic way to start a flight, thanks James, er I mean DolphinBoy.  Thanks for all of the tips, Ive been working on letting the kite fall into a roll-up from the lazy susan too.  What's that one called?  
Dolphinboy

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 09:57 AM »

Ive been working on the swish-flick launch ever since I saw James do it.  Its actually pretty easy once I got the timing down.  Nice dramatic way to start a flight, thanks James, er I mean DolphinBoy.  Thanks for all of the tips, Ive been working on letting the kite fall into a roll-up from the lazy susan too.  What's that one called?  

Just like most tricks once you understand what's going on and get your muscle memory down, it's easy as pie.

The Lazy to Roll up thing doesn't have a name as far as I know but I've seen many people do it.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 10:12 AM »

It's still a trick.
But is it a stunt trick or a sports trick ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 10:22 AM »

It's still a trick.
But is it a stunt trick or a sports trick ?

Mike.

Dual line manipulation of the kite from it's normal path of flight by the addition of slack to the control lines Cheesy

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Ca Ike

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 12:36 PM »

Just like most tricks once you understand what's going on and get your muscle memory down, it's easy as pie.

The Lazy to Roll up thing doesn't have a name as far as I know but I've seen many people do it.
  I've heard it called a lazy roll up if its the one where you do a 2 pop roll up but toss in a lazy before the 2nd pop.  There's also one I call a snap roll I did by accident giving too much slack for a snap lazy that I'm working on figuring out exactly what i did on the inputs to get. 

Another couple of combos I don't see much that I do from time to time is an axel-rollup and 540 barrel roll/fade. I managed to get them on film for my vf 19 entry.  540 barrel roll fade is at ~.24  axel roll up ~.49.  THe 540 barrel roll I've seen before exited nose up though.  Axel roll up I think I saw JW do before on the lix or at least something similar but I don't remember for sure. 
vf-19
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:48 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 02:04 PM »

Not really.  The first part of the trick(the take-off part) was done by a flier in Trick or Treat video.  First part only.  I discovered this after I thought I 'invented' a new trick last Summer.

I'm doing this 'new trick' since last Summer and I have two versions.
1st version is the same as yours...yoyo(I'm about to call it cids take-off  Cheesy )
2nd version is it becomes a JL(see video: starting at 59 seconds)

I believed this trick has a lot of potential since it can spin off to many different configurations like multi-lazies etc.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:06 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Dolphinboy

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 04:12 PM »

1st version is the same as yours...yoyo(I'm about to call it cids take-off  Cheesy )

Cids, I see the 180 pop up to JL but not the roll up. It's cool that you've hit it too though. cool Cool

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 11:32 PM »

Cids, I see the 180 pop up to JL but not the roll up. It's cool that you've hit it too though. cool Cool

I did the yoyo version first then I modified it to the JL version.  For the JL version,  I can do it with my left or right hand.  It looks kind of cool since there is a lot of actions in it.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum