GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 04:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Trick ?  (Read 4777 times)
PAW
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 03:57 AM »

Very nice...gone try that...thanks vor showing  Smiley
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 11:30 AM »

Thanks Peter, I saw that new Goff trick video you posted and will be giving it a try myself.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
John Welden

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 06:01 PM »

Sorry, it looks like a combo to me.

But, whatever, you have every right to call it what you want, there's no rules. Plus I can't really talk because I've "invented" stuff and tried to name it. I mean who doesn't know what a reversing hash brownie looks like?  Cheesy Roll Eyes
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 08:45 PM »

But, whatever, you have every right to call it what you want, there's no rules. Plus I can't really talk because I've "invented" stuff and tried to name it. I mean who doesn't know what a reversing hash brownie looks like?  Cheesy Roll Eyes
Isn't that when the hash laced brownie disagrees with you and comes back up Tongue
Dolphinboy

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 10:15 AM »

What's the difference? Many tricks I know of are combos.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
John Welden

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 03:10 PM »

You maybe should have said you invented a new combo.

But then I still would have said something because it's not a new combo.  You're doing a quick pop up to fade to lateral roll to yoyo. So what if I did your new trick but added a one and a half rotation back spin before the yoyo? Or what if instead of the yoyo I did a jacobs ladder? Should we name all those variations? 

Like I said, there are no rules, name this thing whatever you want, it makes no difference.  The only reason I'm commenting is because this is a kite forum and that's what we do on here. Anything claimed to be a new trick is going to get scrutinized.
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04 AM »

It's a cool trick or combo or whatever averyone wants to call it... AND ... In the "Title" of this thread it says "New trick ?" and I think the "?" is important information...  Wink Wink

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 08:36 AM »

Thanks Peter, I saw that new Goff trick video you posted and will be giving it a try myself.

That trick is silly.  Watch at 0:18 in this video.  There is another at 1:18.  Simply the coolest new move I have seen recently for sure.  He is really from another planet on that Fury 85. 

Adventure to Purley Way

That's Chris doing a real trick.  He is bouncing the wing tip and then using the spring to enter a taz machine/540.  NO ONE has ever done this one, even by accident.

That's a Goff IMHO.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
John Welden

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 04:58 PM »

That is a sweet combo. Looks great.

That's Chris doing a real trick.  He is bouncing the wing tip and then using the spring to enter a taz machine/540.  NO ONE has ever done this one, even by accident.

I'd avoid ever saying that. It's a tomahawk tip stab to a reverse coin toss. Probably invented in the 1990's. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:06 PM by John Welden » Logged
Dolphinboy

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 06:58 PM »

You maybe should have said you invented a new combo.

JL, Lewis, etc. and many more, those are combos and named tricks too. Combos are tricks but tricks aren't necessarily combos, Axel, 540, Kick Turn etc. those are tricks but not combos Smiley

But then I still would have said something because it's not a new combo.  You're doing a quick pop up to fade to lateral roll to yoyo.

There is no Fade or Yo Yo in the trick. I should have isolated just the trick in all the clips, two have extra stuff, sorry if there is confusion.

The kite is landed in the Flare position then it's a one handed launch which creates a 180 degree pop up putting the kite in the Front Flip, then pop & slack both lines to roll up. If I had immediately unrolled, then that would be a Yo Yo but the rolled up launch is really the trick.

So what if I did your new trick but added a one and a half rotation back spin before the yoyo? Or what if instead of the yoyo I did a jacobs ladder? Should we name all those variations? 

Those are tricks too. Name them if you want. Personally, I wouldn't name just any of the endless combos but if something is unique and it's in your box of tricks, why not? If it's cool and people pick it up, then it'll stick or otherwise "Fade" Cheesy into trick history.

Or maybe we should stop thinking up tricks now? because every trick that will be invented has been Grin

Anything claimed to be a new trick is going to get scrutinized.

It's a trick even if it's not new or a combo, I was asking if anyone else knows it or if it was new. I had never seen it before, nor had anyone I had shown it to. So if you've seen it or do it, then that's what I was asking.

I'm still naming it though unless I find it already has one. I'm not calling it Cid's launch either Grin

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 07:10 PM »

"I'm doing this 'new trick' since last Summer and I have two versions.

1st version is the same as yours...yoyo(I'm about to call it cids take-off   Cheesy )
2nd version is it becomes a JL(see video: starting at 59 seconds)"

(I'm "about" to call it cids take-off  Cheesy)  -  it is not official. 
The trick is not yet named but I secretly called it cids take-off. Cheesy

Name or no name is not important.  The most important thing is that we are enjoying it and it is a cool complex move. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:38 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
John Welden

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 07:31 PM »

The kite is landed in the Flare position then it's a one handed launch which creates a 180 degree pop up putting the kite in the Front Flip, then pop & slack both lines to roll up. If I had immediately unrolled, then that would be a Yo Yo but the rolled up launch is really the trick.

I guess I should have said roll up instead of yoyo.

The 180 degree pop up front flip thing is still the same as a pop up to fade to lateral roll to roll up.  It's not new or special to short cut between moves like that.  So what if you bang it out and do the moves quickly? How does that make it special or new?

Or how about this,
I honestly believe you invented a new trick because I haven't seen it done exactly the same way. I do a similar trick that is slightly different called the  Mutant Tornado 2000.   
Dolphinboy

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 07:49 PM »

That trick is silly. 
That's Chris doing a real trick. 

obi

Oh yeah ..... My Dad tricks better than your Dad, so there. Cheesy

Seriously though, that looks cool but I think I may have done that by accident before.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Dolphinboy

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 08:00 PM »

Or how about this,
I honestly believe you invented a new trick because I haven't seen it done exactly the same way. I do a similar trick that is slightly different called the  Mutant Tornado 2000.   

Post up some video, i'd like to see it if you have got some. Doesn't a Tornado start on its' back nose toward the pilot like a Sleeping Beauty but  keep it backspinning instead of flying away?

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 09:04 PM »

Or how about this,

Post up some video, i'd like to see it if you have got some. Doesn't a Tornado start on its' back nose toward the pilot like a Sleeping Beauty but  keep it backspinning instead of flying away?
IF john posed video of some of his flying I think a few Elixir doubters would be surprised.  STill be nice to see more than whats on the prism vids.  Yes tornado is a backspin that starts from a sleeping beauty and its not an easy trick.   I usually end up caching the lines on something on the ground when I try it.  I"ve seen it done 2 ways  spinning on the nose like a top(still on the ground) and rising off the ground.  Mutant tornado IIrc is a popup launch to 540 but not too sure.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum