GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 05:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting smoke smell out of kites  (Read 3644 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 10:24 PM »

I had bought a Fanatic a few years ago.  Someone had disguised the smell of cigarettes with a nasty perfume - the combination was worse than either by itself.  The kite must have been hanging in a bar for a few years or something (I got it on ebay).

After a few months and different attempts, I finally got the smell of smoke out of the kite and bag, but I was never able to completely get rid of the perfume odor.

6 kite tom
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 03:15 AM »

This is one of MANY reasons I don't smoke in my own house.

Crappy and expensive habit anyway, it'll be on the chopping block for me soon enough.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:42 AM »

Same here..... i never smoked in the house
and..........
I droped that habit 6mo. ago
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 09:51 AM »

I quit smoking about 15 years ago, I only smoked to and from work. One day I was getting into my vehicle and my wife pulled into the lot, I looked and all three of my boys were pointing at me as I was lighting up. Haven't smoked since that moment. I quit drinking not too long after that. Now my only vice is my kites, if I could kick that I would be many dollars ahead.

It's kind of weird going to restaurants and such outside Arizona, because smoking is banned (in Tucson at least) at almost all public places. But kite flying is still legal.

Smoke and alcohol free.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02 PM »

I don't know about Fabreze but be very careful of Woolite as suggested above. I was in Fabric sales for years and anybody who washed shiny taffeta or satin type fabrics in Woolite brought it back trying to tell us the fabric was defective. It was obvious what they had done as soon as we looked at it. Woolite has lanolin in it, that is the natural oils in Wool, it will spot any shiny non-absorbent fabric. Same thing for any soaps containing moisturizers, lemon or orange oils.  Pure dishwashing detergent, no additives, no anti-bacterials, even for your Dry Clean only fabrics that is the recommended washing medium.

I haven't smoked in my house for well over 10 years, a decision I made when I started again after a year + smoke free. If I need a smoke I go outside, rain or heat. The car is another story, I smoke when I drive and I drive a lot since it's my job, but the window is always down, the fan on vent and the smoke is in my left hand to vent most of it. But my cars do smell of smoke, I don't smoke so much that I can't smell it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:45 PM »

As far as the Woolite goes...I was going off of what these guys use on all their big kites.  They then protect it with 303 UV protectectorant.

I'm sure they would answer any questions you might have.  They swear by it and use it on MILES of ripstop.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2052338120101296108cCskKQ

P

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 07:23 PM »

i have used 303 on every thing rubber in a salt water environment i have found nothing that comes close in UV and drying out protection  i have never tried it on my spinnakers and will definitely be checking out what it does for kite and sail cloth thanx KO oh yeh!! as for smoke smell i quit 4 yrs ago and i guess i'll be asking for smoke free kites from now on.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:28 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document