GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 01:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey No Fair!  (Read 2474 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 08:57 AM »

That leads to this question then... I was just talking about this with Joe a few days back.

Should there be another section to the photo and video section here? One looking for advice and thoughts, and one as a 'display' section and all that? Personally, I'd like that a lot.

I think Joe should probably just post the videos to the beginner section since many seem to be ending up as beginner advice type threads. I like his enthusiasm but it kind of clogs up the Photo and Video forum. But it's not the end of the world or anything Grin

is it a video? then i t belongs in the video section.....If i find sport kite stuff in the single line section i move it....i think that Steve laid out the forum pretty well to start with....

what is meant by "it kind of clogs up the Photo and Video forum" Dolphinboy?   How could it clog a video clog it up?   or are meaning that you feel that you have to look at every video and there are some that are a waste of time to you?    if so i feel the same way - but i just do not look at them.
rob

It doesn't really bother me at all, there are threads I read and the ones I don't want to see I pass too. I'm sure others do that with my videos too.

I was just answering the question posted. I just meant that although a video was posted, some seem like they were a beginning help me learn this trick type thread or turned into that anyway.

Clog it up does sound a little harsh and probably was an unfortunate way to put what I meant. There are just a lot of post by Joe in the photo / video section and like I said above, many seemed like they'd fit better in the beginner section. I'm a big fan of trick kite flying and love to see people excited about tricking at all levels. So I would rather see all the separate threads than nothing at all from him or anyone else for that matter.

Peace

James

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 09:24 AM »

Some (dare I say "many") people fly and trick for their own enjoyment, not to put on a show. At one festival, I saw two older guys laughing hysterically and acting like kids while lawn darting and trying to learn to keep their dual line kite in the air. The two of them had more zen than the rest of the flying area put together - and quite frankly, they were the SHOW. I stopped flying to enjoy their zen and show. That can be added to the Dean Jordan aoxomoxoa list, or however it's spelled, topic - if you don't see the show in their flying, you don't get it.

As mentioned in another topic, most spectators/public don't care more than a few minutes anyway, if at all. It's all about personal preference and mood. Never felt the need to own the space either, just borrow it for a while to get the zen.

I'm doing more "flying" between tricks now than when I was younger, so I'm starting to fly with more style - personal preference is slowly shifting. It's still a long way from being a show in flying or tricks for anyone but me. It's good enough for my own pleasure.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16 PM »

All this brewhaha over a few videos.  Roll Eyes
The unfortunate catalyst perhaps, but let's hope this discussion is morphing into something more meaningful Smiley

I would suggest that the absence of this presence which is projected by a flier through the kite...owning the space...is most evident between tricks.  This is when you can clearly see what the flier is trying to accomplish.  Essentially, either this part of the flight is important to you, or it's just something you have to do to get into position for your next yank and spank.
Yup.
I had that moment of enlightenment about 12 years ago.  I had been flying for a couple of years, busily learning every trick there was to learn, and had gotten to the point where I was a decent trick flier.  One day a flying buddy said to me "You can trick like all get-out, no doubt about it.  Now you just need to learn how to fly".  At the time it pissed me off a little, because my natural reaction was "I am flying", but when I started competing it sank in.  Tricks in isolation are only interesting for so long.  I'm just as interested in how the trick is entered, where and how the kite exits, and what happens before the next trick.

The pyrotechnics are great, but if the whole package is not there, ultimately it's not much of a show.

THere was a thread about VF where the flying without/between tricks was called "vacant" and boring.  FLying inbetween tricks and the whole "flow" of it adds a lot to the show.  One spectator at our Ripon fly back in April i think said it well when they said they liked how the pattern flying added a bit of anticipation wondering what the next "stunt"  was going to be.  She compared it to watching a Stunt plane pilot fly and the "what is this guy going to do next?" thoughts.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document