GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 05:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Money back for lost kite....  (Read 1247 times)
kiteflyer82
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: July 10, 2011, 03:57 AM »

Reading Consumer report about best advice and here is one of them...

"You can return anything. My sister-in-law took back string and a bag that had once contained a kite. The kite had flown away (the string broke), but she convinced the store clerk that it was a faulty product and that she deserved to get her money back. That taught me a lesson to be a more assertive consumer."
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:04 AM »

That almost sounds like trying to return cat litter from a cat box after a few days, because it is not as fresh as the day you put it in.... 

Situations like this happen all of the time in the retail world.  This tomfoolery causes the price of life to increase because someone feels wronged and that they are owed something,  trying to be smarter than the system, or pull one over on the retailers.  The store won't get credit for the item and will mark it up as a loss, Who pays for this loss?  We all do!!   We have rights as consumers, but having a lack of common sense, or a right to foolish self-justification is not one of them.  If a product you purchased is truly defective, by all means return it, otherwise chalk it up to experience in life. I apologize for the rant.

Just my thoughts.

Magpiesfooty
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:40 AM »

Reading Consumer report about best advice and here is one of them...

"You can return anything. My sister-in-law took back string and a bag that had once contained a kite. The kite had flown away (the string broke), but she convinced the store clerk that it was a faulty product and that she deserved to get her money back. That taught me a lesson to be a more assertive consumer."

Sad   Angry

Welcome to the world of entitlement...

Most kite stores works on tight margins.  Imagine how many would stay in business if everyone did this.

Generally if a kite string breaks, the kite loses lift and flutters to the ground.  Sure there are cases where the kite lands some place where it is not retrievable, but just as many times... a little effort would go a long way. So I would have to wonder what circumstances prevented the flyer from retrieving the kite and possibly only asking for replace flying line.  And even that would be done after they searched their heart about whether they were flying the kite in suitable winds.

A woman calls a store and asks about a $700 LCD projector.... she's quite anxious about it and asks if it can be left waiting for her at the register.  The sales person explains that they can't do that for a $700 item, but it will be set aside for her at the department and they will try to get her in an out of the store as quickly as possible.  She arrives in a business suit and the transaction is processed quickly.  The next day the projector is returned.  It's even money as to whether the projector was unsuitable or whether someone just needed a projector to give a single presentation the preceding day and they wanted a free "rental."

Ask anyone in retail how many LCD and Plasma TVs are returned the day after Super Bowl Sunday.

Goodwill (and dare we say good faith) policies between retailers and customers are a wonderful thing until people abuse them and hose things for everybody.  

At one point when Prism was building their Elite line in WA they said that they reason they stopped doing custom colors is that they would get too many returns from customers who said the colors they chose did turn out looking they way they expected.  Heaven forbid they should just resell the kite.  Roll Eyes

A little personal culpability would be a wonderful thing.

ATB,
Sam

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:34 AM »

+1

By all means if it's defective or substandard return it. I've noted such a reduction in quality sold at higher prices on many things lately that I think more people should return them with an "I can't accept this". But with the take over by big box merchants you often don't have another choice. I just went through 3 or 4 toilet levers before finding a decent one (ended up being the cheapest one at the third retailer I tried, I hit them last because they are usually a bit over priced) and I still haven't found a rubber stopper that floats so you don't have to hold the handle down through the flush cycle, the 30 year old one is still in there.

I've also known someone I doubt ever paid for anything and I'm not talking just 2 for a $1 kites but big ticket items. They often convince a nerchant it's their right to keep the "Defective" one along with the repalcement, and on multiple returns they've bragged about ending up with more then they took in. I don't mind supporting these types, in fact I have a "Big house" they can stay in rent free.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:39 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:46 AM »

Sounds like a deal..............I'll just tell Lam that his Fearless/light was defective when it found it's way on to some beach debris and poked a coupe small holes in the sail.  He's an understanding guy and I'm sure he'll let me keep the damaged kite along with the new "crinkly" replacement.   Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:55 AM »

Where is the "LIKE" button!  LOL!!    Cheesy

You can have great customer service without giving away the farm.

Now, try to return an unopened CD!! Maybe an exchange if you are lucky!!

Items like the projector and other electronics should have a 20% restocking fee, but as you said, stuff like this gets 'rented' all of the time.  I just like to clean up after them with the "open box' specials afterwards.    LOL!!

Great stuff, Guys!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:06 AM »

Items like the projector and other electronics should have a 20% restocking fee, but as you said, stuff like this gets 'rented' all of the time.  I just like to clean up after them with the "open box' specials afterwards.    LOL!!

Now, try to return an unopened CD!! Maybe an exchange if you are lucky!!

Sadly, Costco, BJs and Sams don't charge restocking fees.

Not sure about CD's, but Amazon is good about exchanging DVDs (even opened ones)..... obviously for the same item.  Useful for when you get a season package or some other mult-disc pack with one or more of the retentention hubs is broken.

ATB,
Sam
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:55 PM »

don't forget to distinguish in your minds, and in your actions, the difference between small business' and large multinational corporations. large multinationals only care about individuals, their employees or small business to the extent of their ever diminishing legal exposure. you should hold them to a different standard, our government and legal system does. small business on the other hand, generally speaking, treat you as well as their own family (and sometimes better).

Fdeli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography