GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 05:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widow Maker at Golden Gardens  (Read 1507 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 11, 2011, 07:32 AM »

I went to the beach the other day and got way too much sun.... :'( :'( :'(  Anyway, I got some nice vid of the WM while I was there... I noticed that I seem to focus on one or two tricks at a time... So, I hope you don't get bored. but here is ANOTHER video from me...  Wink Wink

Hope you all enjoy. let me know if you have any pointers of things I should be working on.

Widow Maker @ Golden Gardens Seattle

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:08 PM »

Beautiful video!  Great kite!  Amazing progresses you have made.  I am glad you enjoyed the location and your Sunday trip was not as hard as last Thursday :-)  Keep in touch.  D
Shane

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19 PM »

Beautiful video!  Great kite!  Amazing progresses you have made.  I am glad you enjoyed the location and your Sunday trip was not as hard as last Thursday :-)  Keep in touch.  D

Thanks "D". I love the location... The hour bus ride is much better than the 2 and a half hour bus ride I had on thursday trying to get home...  Wink but it's still a bit of a distance from my house... but... the places I fly in downtown don't have nearly as smooth wind.. so in a way it's worth the bus ride. although, I do like it better when the tide is down just because I don't want to crash a borrowed kite on the rocky beach... So the sand makes me feel better about flying there... and thanks for the encouragment. Let me know next time you head out and I'll try to make it.

Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
vertigo2u

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:10 PM »

I wait 4 minutes and 52 seconds and Not One BAPTISM ...  Huh

My guy Shane invented the "Baptism"   Cheesy  he use's the fontains in town and the day he gets a chance to show up " John the Baptist " the Widow Maker gets no water.  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

I finally get the guts to dip half a wing in the water, proud to say becuase of your actions and I sit and suffer through 4 minutes and 52 seconds of some great flying ( Can't wait till I am at that level) .  And nothing.  Roll Eyes

I need to work my Lazy Susans and Backspins.  Norm has good tips follow his advise.  Jacob's Ladder, 540's axels,fades,backspins and No Wing in the water.... I get the feeling this is some wasted bandwith ... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Last Night : 
WM.wmv
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:22 PM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:51 PM »

Sweet - you are progressing very quickly.  Are you sure you want that Talon back!:)

Just kidding, of course, we all have our favorites.  That park is the smoothest wind that I've found in the Seattle area as well. It's a shame that the beach is so small.  I've never been there when the tide was out, but I imagine that about doubles it.

Keep em coming, and b all means get into VF!

6 kite tom
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:11 PM »

Sweet - you are progressing very quickly.  Are you sure you want that Talon back!:)

Just kidding, of course, we all have our favorites.  That park is the smoothest wind that I've found in the Seattle area as well. It's a shame that the beach is so small.  I've never been there when the tide was out, but I imagine that about doubles it.

Dude!  You need to get the tide tables for low tide.  I can fly on 120' lines out there.  Look for a minus 2 and under. 
http://www.saltwatertides.com/cgi-local/washington.cgi   
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:45 PM »

Bookmarked - thanks!

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:41 PM »

Some pretty sharp flying, Shane.
How long have you been flying that kite ? I found the WM to very forgiving, and will probably be one of my goto kites for a long time.
~Rob.

dihongshao2000

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:34 PM »

Bookmarked - thanks!

It is very difficult to have such a day and time at Golden Gargens Park in Seattle that has perfect wind, sunshine, and low tide.  I was flying at GG Sunday monring started around 8:00 am with perfect wind, sun, and tide.  Exchanged text with Shane around 10:00 am.  When he showed up around 11:00 am, the tide is pretty high already.  Shane made his great video after I left around 12:00 for "family duties".  Personally, I think his flying skill is much better than what is shown in the video.

WM is a great kite.  I completed 3 JL in my second attempt with Shane kite which I can hardly repeat on my Insync.  I am thinking of getting one myself Smiley.  BTW, I use the following website for wind and weather at GG.  I also book marked tide weblink ET posted.  Thanks ET.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=wpow1

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/98199?dayNum=0

A few pictures of GG low tide

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
ghfisanotti
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 07:47 PM »

Nicely executed tricks, and that WM look really gorgeous! I hope you enter next VF!
Shane

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 06:02 AM »

Looking better all the time. I did however see a couple JL's that still need more slack both going back into the lazy position and coming back into fade position. All in all looked better than the last ones. What do I know about it.......I need more practice than you do.  Cheesy

What I did see this time was the SUN. Looked like a great day for flying.

Yes the sun was certainly out that day!! Wink Wink I look like a tomato after 6 hours flying on Saturday... Oh well, it was totally worth it. Smiley I do need to give more slack when coming into a fade and going into the lazy.. Thanks for the input.

I wait 4 minutes and 52 seconds and Not One BAPTISM ...  Huh

My guy Shane invented the "Baptism"   Cheesy  he use's the fontains in town and the day he gets a chance to show up " John the Baptist " the Widow Maker gets no water.  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

I finally get the guts to dip half a wing in the water, proud to say becuase of your actions and I sit and suffer through 4 minutes and 52 seconds of some great flying ( Can't wait till I am at that level) .  And nothing.  Roll Eyes

I need to work my Lazy Susans and Backspins.  Norm has good tips follow his advise.  Jacob's Ladder, 540's axels,fades,backspins and No Wing in the water.... I get the feeling this is some wasted bandwith ... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Last Night :  WM.wmv

I'm sorry about not having a baptism in there for ya... the water at that beach is kinda gross and I didn't really wanna drop the kite in there with the tide up... But I promise if I make it out there this weekend I will cleanse the kite for ya.  Grin As far as being at that level....  Wink Wink well I am not much ahead of you at all. A few things just clicked the other day when I was flying... I hadn't done a JL or a BS before about 2 or 3 weeks ago.. Just keep it up. I love watching yours as well.

Thanks Tom,

Yeah the wind there is pretty nice. When the tide is out you have at least double the beach size, and on top of that you have sandy beach instead of the rocks that you have to fly over when it is up... .... and I certainly want the Talon back... but I really love the WM.. I might have to get one for myself in the near future just because I learned so much with it... which is wierd considering that it took so long to click with.. but once I did I seem to be learning alot with it.

Some pretty sharp flying, Shane.
How long have you been flying that kite ? I found the WM to very forgiving, and will probably be one of my goto kites for a long time.
~Rob.

Thanks man, I have been flying the WM for about a month and a half or so... I love it though. it is a great kite and certainly forgiving. It sits very deep in the lazy position and the fade was hard to get into when I first recieved it. But once I got the hang of it I love it.

Nicely executed tricks, and that WM look really gorgeous! I hope you enter next VF!

If I can manage to get a minute and a half of continuous flight then I will enter.. It is harder than I had assumed to get continuous video whilst flying.. :'( :'(

Thank you all for your comments and input.

Shane
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:05 AM by Shane » Logged

obijuankenobe

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 06:08 AM »

The 'Baptism' is a cheap version of the 'Jaws' trick.  No offense.  Just making sure you guys realize there is nothing new under the sun as simple as a water landing. 

The real trick is to be in deep enough water so that the kite disappears.  You then apply pressure to 'fly up' out of the water.  Now you have a wet kite that flies heavy for a few minutes. 

Be careful.  If the waves push the kite over onto it's belly while in the water, you'll be swimming (or pulling slowly backward for several minutes) to get the kite out.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Shane

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 06:41 AM »

The 'Baptism' is a cheap version of the 'Jaws' trick.  No offense.  Just making sure you guys realize there is nothing new under the sun as simple as a water landing. 

The real trick is to be in deep enough water so that the kite disappears.  You then apply pressure to 'fly up' out of the water.  Now you have a wet kite that flies heavy for a few minutes. 

Be careful.  If the waves push the kite over onto it's belly while in the water, you'll be swimming (or pulling slowly backward for several minutes) to get the kite out.

obi

I know the "baptism" is by no means a "new" trick... heck I think I remember seeing it on the prism video... but it is still fun. but I too worry about the waves pushing it over and me having to swim with the seaweed...  Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum