GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google+  (Read 2857 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: July 11, 2011, 08:51 AM »

Any one else coming into google+???
if so "circle me" http://gplus.to/corgimas

so far I like it compared to facebook....the sheer numbers of people is no where near fb but it is growing.......
should be interesting to see how it pans out in 6 months or so....and whether or not it is a competitor to fb in the long run...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37 AM »

I'm in there but so far I can't see any reason to be on both sites. It may be inevitable, but for now I don't see any killer app that Google+ has. Just refinements for what I already do on Facebook.

The mobile version is pretty meager too.

I like the Picasaweb integration a lot, as that's where I keep lots of pictures anyway. They'll have to get rid of the storage limits though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:39 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45 AM »

The storage requirements were lifted a lot i think two weeks back....
BUT......
a new things that was noticed by Stevo is that to comment on a picasa picture now you HAVE to be a member of google+.....so....you can show people the pictures, but the 80 year old grandmother who wants to say "he looks so nice" cannot unless they are a member of google+.....

i like the google-product integration....the stream works okay....and the sparks application where you can find news items on things you like is sketchy at returning good results....
r

Jeff
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:36 AM »

Nobody's ever commented on my Picasa photos before Google+, so I'm not really bemoaning the loss of that.

I'm finding it more fun than Facebook. There's something more immediate and conversational about it. Plus, the integration with the Google infrastructure, and a nice Android app...I like it. And it's only in field trial, with lots of improvements coming to work out some of the early bugs.

If everyone I knew moved over from Facebook, I wouldn't shed a tear to leave it myself.

and
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:13 AM »

I suppose I don't care which, one or the other but not two for the forseeable future!  Cry

I suppose it's inevitable, you'll either have to double your efforts or very specifically ignore one or the other.

One of the main reasons Facebook works is that "everybody" is there.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14 AM »

Still 1GB for me.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01 PM »

It will be tough for google to pull this off for that reason alone - everyone is already on FB. It took many years - I've had FB for years but never really used it until some critical mass was hit and enough friends were on it to make it worth using.

The good news is that we they should push each other to get better.

6 kite tom
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:28 PM »

I would love to try Google+ but Have not been able to sign up yet anyone would like to fly a invite this way, would be gratefully appreciative. Have been watching everyday for it to open up again, and just has not.

Thanks
Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:10 PM »

Check your email Don.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Jeff
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:34 PM »

Still 1GB for me.

Yes and no...here's how it works. http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=1224181

The basic limit is 1 GB. It will still show that if you don't buy more.

However, for people in Google+, "Photos up to 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos up to 15 minutes won't count towards your free storage." For pictures uploaded within Google+, anything larger than that size will be automatically resized to that limit, therefore not counting against the 1GB limit.

For non Google+ users, just using Picasa, it's 800x800 and lower that does not count against your limit. Once you reach the storage limit however, any subsequent uploads to Picasa would be automatically resized to 800 max on a side.

and
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:33 PM »

Still 1GB for me.
yeah..sorry i did not explain myself well enough.   it is my understanding that the size of the photos is VERY in play....pictures that are medium and small do not count against your 1g storage....that way you can fill up picasa with smaller pictures to sharei n google+ and still have extra to spare!

oh..just saw Jeff's response....
yep.......

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 02:35 PM »

the slickest thing about google+ i find is the fact that the notification bar is in my gmail page...so i can see what is going on without filling up my email box with facebook emails, or having to leave my email page

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 02:45 PM »

Google is the new Microsoft.

My Picasa website, which is so much better than the Webshots site, costs just

21GB for $5/year, unlimited picture size, video, no real ads.

Hard to beat.

Still don't know why my friend Sam asked me to join Facebook. Now there are hundreds of people I don't know posting stuff I don't read.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 02:50 PM »

Still don't know why my friend Sam asked me to join Facebook. Now there are hundreds of people I don't know posting stuff I don't read.

No wonder. You've got over 500 "friends". Trim it back to less than 200 and the signal to noise ratio will improve.

Allen, AKA kitehead
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 05:00 PM »

Thank you very very much,

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document