GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google+  (Read 2670 times)
Jeff
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 10:47 PM »

Google is the new Microsoft.
Apple is the new Microsoft.

Google is the new Yahoo.

Wink

and
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 11:35 PM »

Google is the new Yahoo.

Wink

Google was the new Yahoo ten years ago.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:08 AM »

Google+ might be nice. I'm getting tired of getting updates from people playing Farmville. I don't CARE if your sheep had lambs! Most of FB is so random anyways and what's the point where the balance tips to narcissim?

Bob D.
Jeff

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 10:30 AM »

Google is the new Yahoo.

Wink

Google was the new Yahoo ten years ago.
OK, then...Google+ is the new Google. Wink

and
Jeff

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 10:31 AM »

Google+ might be nice. I'm getting tired of getting updates from people playing Farmville. I don't CARE if your sheep had lambs! Most of FB is so random anyways and what's the point where the balance tips to narcissim?
In fairness to Facebook, while they don't make filtering easy, this is more a problem with your friends spamming the feed with that stuff.

You can block any app generated content when you click the "X" to the right and tell it to never show you posts from Farmville.

and
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 07:21 PM »

been playing around with Google+ and while still learning about it. The main part has been the circles and how your post can be sent to certain circles and can be made public as well. I find that I have more control over what is posted. Still working on the hangout thing. I'm sure that once your friends try it out and more people get on it, the use of it will multiply.

Just My Opinion.

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 07:35 PM »

been playing around with Google+ and while still learning about it. The main part has been the circles and how your post can be sent to certain circles and can be made public as well. I find that I have more control over what is posted.

This is what I don't get. I've been doing this on Facebook for a long time. You make lists of Friends. Google has a slicker interface for this, but it seems like the same thing. Facebook wi certainly include improved listmaking in an update before too long. I'd bet money on it.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jeff

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15 PM »

They may have to.

Zuckerberg has said that "people don't like to make lists." Most Facebook users don't even know about the feature. It is there, and I use it, but your average user doesn't even know about it. Facebook's entire aim is to get you to share as much publicly as possible. They don't want people using lists, really. Google has made it their whole point that you share differently with different people. That's very true, and I appreciate that they are starting from that point of view.

It's funny that Facebook has now blocked two applications for exporting people's data out so they can use it elsewhere. It also tells you what Facebook thinks about who owns the data that their users put in. Meanwhile, it is another huge emphasis on G+ that you own your data, and you can take it whenever you like.

The differences aren't huge, but the little things add up. I don't check Facebook all the time, but I use GMail and Calendar and Maps all the time, and the menu bar sits right up there and offers more opportunities to engage. (For better and worse) I think they've really got something good starting here. I don't know if it will have legs, but I'm enjoying it.

and
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 03:33 AM »

and just for fun....this is from http://socialstatistics.com/?include=statistics&id=263

Zuckerberg's # of followers on google+
2011-07-12    134,328    
he was the most followed user on google+ until he made his profile private last night....yes Zuckerberg is on the competition's site....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 07:36 AM »

Remember, when your friends were the ones your talked to (not texted) on the phone, emailed, and met on the flying field (or the restaurant).  While I have some interesting conversations with a singer in TX, I still find it amusing how many people in public places are glues to the phones or tablets communicating with people that are elsewhere.

Social media developed by geeks..... certain bit of irony there.

ATB,
Sam
Jeff

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 01:55 PM »

Remember, when your friends were the ones your talked to (not texted) on the phone, emailed, and met on the flying field (or the restaurant). ...

I'm glad it's not just that, or I'd have many fewer friends. I've always been a bit introverted and have never liked talking on the phone. My friends have usually been the people right around me, like classmates in school. I'm glad I have so many ways to connect with people, especially over common interests.

and
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document