GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 11:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sewing with Orcon Film  (Read 2227 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 11, 2011, 10:06 AM »

I just picked up some Orcon Film to make a very light version of my no wind soaring kite.  Does anyone know where I can find some tips on sewing this material?  When I sew with ripstop nylon or polyester, I sew the panels together using a Plain Seam, which has been my standard seam with straight stitch for many years.  Would I be better off using a Lap Seam?  I will need one seam along the center spine of the kite.

Thank you,

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
RonG
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54 AM »

Since an Orcon kite is by-definition designed for indoor or outdoor zero wind conditions, there's no real need to sew the seams at all.  3M seam tape should yield very strong seams without the needle holes.
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:37 PM »

What Ron said.

I've tried testing it to destruction on a light polyester and if applied properly, the fabric will fail before the tape.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:04 PM »

ditto on Ron's info....no sewing necessary....this stuff is fragile...tape is good enough

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 03:18 PM »

Thank you for your responses.  I just ordered a roll of double sided tape and will give it a try.

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:02 AM »

3M 9460 tape works best in my experience, plus it is also the lightest. Don't need more then 1/4" wide tape.
inewham

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:18 AM »

Practice on some scrap first 3M has a lot of 'grab' and you won't peel it off if you get it wrong  Cry
Definitely the strongest though

RonG
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:55 AM »

Practice on some scrap first 3M has a lot of 'grab' and you won't peel it off if you get it wrong  Cry

+1

The 3M isn't going to give you a second chance, especially not with Orcon.  Even on poly, by the time you pry the panels apart you've got some serious pucker along the edges.
REVflyer

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39 AM »

you can NOT sew orcon film, the perforations act like a tiny hole in the bag of potato chips, once a hole or split is started, the rest of the material just follows right along instantly.

Orcon can be taped, (9460 bonding) but don't make hard, sharp corners.  Big curves will work!

Dave Ashworth has a lot of experience with this material and indoor sport kites.
Bledula

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 05:38 AM »

Sorry for the diversion from topic at hand but could you guys please give me a link for the 3M 9460 double sided tape that you keep mentioning? At this point I am having harder time finding it than the end of a rainbow.

I've spent hours searching through web for a 3M 9460 double sided tape that would be roughly 6mm wide with no luck. Maybe it's because I'm from Europe but I would love to get my hands on a solid double sided tape for kite building. I am already running out of my single roll. :-(

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01 AM »

Head over to kitebuilder dot com, the other Steve stocks it there. Slightly less expensive is the C3 Sailtape, better on Nylon fabrics I don't know about use on Orcon. 9460 is the best all around and should be in your kit if you're building.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:59 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
inewham

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:27 AM »

In Europe you may find Kayospruce or Bainbridge sailmakers tape easier to get hold of. The Bainbridge tape is nice.

Try contacting local sailmakers to see what they use, maybe they'll sell you some.

I got my 3M tape by clubbing together with someone who bought a big roll and had it slit into 6mm slices so I'm not aware of an easy way to get it

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:04 AM »

I get mine from Regiotape, its a Germany company and 3m distributor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document