GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-NJSKC FunFly This Friday.  (Read 1660 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: July 12, 2011, 10:20 PM »

Come on out to Liberty State Park and fly your kites for fun.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:05 PM »

Everybody's talking about Friday in the other thread, but I'm going to do it here because, well I started this thread and well, I just am.

I'll be out behind Ellis Island. You?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:15 PM »

Sadly, I will be unable to attend.

But if you're ever in Las Vegas, your room will be ready at Casa Chilese.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:09 AM »

Smiley
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:31 AM »

I'll keep an eye out for you, Jim. It's been a couple years since I ran into you last...
~Rob.

temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:35 AM »

I will be there friday and sunday! mostly revs! but friday i will fly some dualis with some pals.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:44 AM »

see you there. Smiley
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 04:18 PM »

Temperature and humidity look good for Friday, - low 80s and 38% humidity. The wind isn't from a great direction in the morning to mid afternoon, from 4 mph to 6 mph from WNW and then switching to WSW/SW at 5 mph in the later afternoon. Pretty much the same for Saturday morning but the afternoon is better at 8 mph or so from the SW.

I took a day trip today with a company car and I can check things out at LSP tomorrow morning when I return it. I'm not optimistic about the wind speed. Anyone have opinions on what it realistically will be like tomorrow given the wind speed and direction?

Bob D.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 04:39 PM »

Temperature and humidity look good for Friday, - low 80s and 38% humidity. The wind isn't from a great direction in the morning to mid afternoon, from 4 mph to 6 mph from WNW and then switching to WSW/SW at 5 mph in the later afternoon. Pretty much the same for Saturday morning but the afternoon is better at 8 mph or so from the SW.

I took a day trip today with a company car and I can check things out at LSP tomorrow morning when I return it. I'm not optimistic about the wind speed. Anyone have opinions on what it realistically will be like tomorrow given the wind speed and direction?

Anything with "W" in it is not great for LSP.  A lot depends on the temperature, prevailing wind strength.  Often, a hot day in conjunction with a very light offshore breeze will set up conditions for a nice onshore flow in the afternoon, usually from the SE (very good).  But you can't really bet the farm on that.  OTOH if temps are only in the low 80's you won't be hot and miserable while you wait and hope for the wind to change.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 05:55 PM »

Sometimes with the temps that low you will get a breeze off the bay as the air is generally cooler over the water. I'm hoping anyway. It'll be a nice day regardless.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:37 PM »

And that's exactly what happened.

The wind was off the water all day.

it turned out to be an excellent day to fly.

Smiley
RobB

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 07:04 AM »

What Liberty State Park were you at, Jim ? The wind swirled around from every direction, died out, came up again. Some of the worst wind I've flown in a long time. And not one other dual line kite in the sky...
At least the 6 1/2 hours of driving to get there & back was fun  Roll Eyes

The one bright spot is that I got to see Sammy and fly his Vendetta a little. Nice kite, thanks, Sammy.

~Rob.

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 03:04 AM »

Were you guys up at the N end? I saw quads up that way.. Looked like the Windriders. Seems like everybody was spread out. I put up a Red Canard as a marker, on the festival field.

Doug Coates showed up and stuck around until early Evening. Dennis and Ro popped by for a very short time to run their routines then had to go get the party started.

I saw one guy just a bit S flying hard up against the bushes (not having an easy time of it) and a couple of folks flying an Easy Flyer and either a Machine (unlikely) or one of those Sturdy kites that look an awful lot like, N on the Ellis Island field late in the day.. Other than that nada. It got a bit choppy when it kicked up but otherwise was excellent I thought.

Location, Location, Location.

I had good wind all day behind Ellis down were the competition is being held.

I stayed until just about sunset it was so nice.

I thought yesterday was even better once the wind settled off the water.

Today looks like it might really get going which will probably make for choppy wind off the seawall if it settles out of the S, but hey if it gets as nice as it did yesterday evening it could be great.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:33 PM by JimB » Logged
RobB

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 04:53 AM »

Oh, man... when I got there, I saw the quads and headed over there. I had never been there, so really didn't know where to go... so yeah, I was up north of you, and saw your SLK, as well. It was too far away to tell that it wasn't a random ToysRus kite, and I'm sorry now that I didn't pack up to take a walk & investigate.
Sorry I missed you, maybe there will be an event at Riis park this year. I'm done with the 6 1/2 hour ride to go 120 miles.  Sad
~Rob.

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 05:40 PM »

Well that's understandable. Liberty is not an easy place to get to from anywhere other than Jersey City. the topography makes it really tough. I spent over an Hour getting home and I live just N of the GWB. I don't know if there is going to be a Riis event this year. Where do you usually fly? Maybe I could get a Sunday off and pop by.

Today was pretty tough early on. There was wind but it was bouncing around both in direction and strength. It settled down and started to come off the bay around 4PM I guess. By then I was shot. Called it a day around 5:30-6PM.

I'm done with the 6 1/2 hour ride to go 120 miles.  Sad
~Rob.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document