GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 07:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMOOOOOOOOOTH GREAT KITE WEEKEND AT CANNON BEACH  (Read 878 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 13, 2011, 11:54 AM »

AMAZING 3 DAYS AT CANNON BEACH OREGON last Friday through Monday!
Took along some beautiful old kites from the early 90's along for the ride.

First surprise...I HAD FORGOTTEN just how SMOOTH n' PRECISE that old  TRACER UL of mine that I used for precision in a couple of events in the early 90's flies? The  NW smoooooth wind on my meter during the fun time was around 4 to 6.  This old kite tracks like no other kite in that old kite bag!! LIKE ON RAILS...BUT TALK ABOUT SLOOOOOOOOOOOW MOTION!!! What a great choro kite in low wind. A real "FLOATY FUN KITE...but not a tricksta' machine for sure.
I was flying to music from KENNY GEE-PEE'S love theme music and what great memories of those KITE DAZE DAYS OF THE EARLY 90 came flowing back into my demented sun fried, Rainier Brew damaged brain.

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:57 AM by Sketch » Logged
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:44 PM »

Don, yer killin' me.  Wink

While we were originally supposed to come out next week, it now won't be until the third week in September. No WSIKF. No AKA.  Sad

But at least CB will happen then.  Smiley

Bob
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 03:15 PM »

Glad you had nice winds. I was 13 miles south at Manzanita July 3 - 10. After about 9am, winds were ballistic every day, 30 - 35 mph mostly. Saw a gust hit 40 on the rental house's wind gauge. One day the wind stayed under 15 mph until noon. Spent most of the time flying a vented Rev 2 until my body wore out or got tired of eating sand. Usually started the day at 5:30 or 6 am, to get the "smooth" inland winds for a couple of hours before the ocean wind sand blasting started.

The kite surfers were enjoying the week. Some were getting massive air. One afternoon a helicopter spent quite a while circling and hovering offshore a ways. Never did hear if there was a rescue or something, but assumed one the kite surfers had a bad landing.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:49 PM »

Tracers are amazingly excellent fliers. Thanks for the pics.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Sketch

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:23 PM »

Glad you had nice winds. I was 13 miles south at Manzanita July 3 - 10. After about 9am, winds were ballistic every day, 30 - 35 mph mostly.

My brother inlaw owns a beach house in Nehalem...a few miles south of Manzanita. Although they were not home...we drove down on Monday for lunch. It started to drizzle pretty bad around noon at Manzanita.
Drove back up to Cannon Beach and the sun came out and winds were light and the sun and broken clouds. Flew my HQ Shadow and as the winds died to around 2 to 3 from the SW just before sunset.

Manzanita weather (due to the Neakawni' Moutain) usually has a completely seperate weather forcast.
 REALLY WEIRD WEATHER on the Northern Oregon Coast range for sure...

I graduated from Tillamook High School....about 100 years ago ; and as you know....It can be blowing 60mph from the SW at Oceanside and be dead calm at Rockaway and blowing  Seaside from the NE...etc...just a few miles up the coast?
Here is shot Monday Night just before sunset. Tuesday..we woke up to HEAVY DRIZZZZLE' and NO WIND and TOTALLY CALM. Packed up and headed home to Gig Harbor.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:27 PM by Sketch » Logged
Sketch

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:33 PM »

Don, yer killin' me.  Wink

While we were originally supposed to come out next week, it now won't be until the third week in September. No WSIKF. No AKA.  Sad

But at least CB will happen then.  Smiley

Took this shot on arrival at Cannon on Friday. Although really light wind on Friday..However lots of sunshine...and really calm after sunset...lots of campfires on the beach..which really SMOKED UP THE TOWN.
We were on the 3rd floor and the air was really smoke filled and hard to breath!

lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:28 PM »

"It can be blowing 60mph from the SW at Oceanside and be dead calm at Rockaway and blowing  Seaside from the NE...etc...just a few miles up the coast?"

I didn't realize it's that variable from one town to the next. I'll have to tag along with the shoppers next year when they go to Cannon Beach. The gals had said it's calm in Cannon Beach, but so is Manzanita if you are a block inland from the beach - really weird how different it is in such a short distance. It seems like the wind is getting stronger each year. It's from NW, so I figured Cannon Beach on the beach was getting blasted even if it was calm at the stores.

We hiked to Falcon Point one day and white caps were seen as far north as we could see from there. Figured there was no point driving anywhere else. I bought a vented Rev 2 several years ago so I could fly more hours at Manzanita, but eating sand gets old by the end of the week.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Sketch

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:47 PM »

We hiked to Falcon Point one day and white caps were seen as far north as we could see from there. Figured there was no point driving anywhere else. I bought a vented Rev 2 several years ago so I could fly more hours at Manzanita, but eating sand gets old by the end of the week.

Yeh!
My last trip to Cannon Beach was in May...and YES! LIKE LIVIN' INSIDE A SANDBLASTER...WE HAD WINTER LIKE 45 degrees temps and 45 mph.on the wind meter wind to match!!! YUK!

Before wind meters...we used to judge wind speed by seeing how far up on your bare legs loose dry would sting. Winds at the ankles...is about 15 to 20mph...winds over 40, the sand will sting your knees...anything higher..WOULD STING YOUR AZZZZ-----UHH? XXX  Huh Cheesy
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 08:48 AM »

beautiful shots... I want to fly there but not 52 mph winds.. Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document