GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old kite catalogues and advertisements  (Read 3499 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 06:08 PM »

another great installment!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 01:21 AM »

Thanks Mike,

Well worth the bandwidth  Cool

While browsing your bounty I had a strange Tardis™ moment... On page 13 in the 98' Prism catalogue...

There's a 'North Sails' loft not more than a km from Moran Park and I see their name quite frequently!! [dramatic music] Shocked [/dramatic music]

& I HAVE A 98' PRISM ILLUSION!! Freaky huh!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Undecided

Yeah, yeah I know....

Anyway, back to your scheduled programming...

WD  Cool
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:24 AM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 06:07 AM »

I'm not at all sure why this didn't occur to me before but...

a directory full of these files on my Google space, complete with easy to view, easy to download interface.

Now hopefully this works. I've added a few more for your reading pleasure too. Lemme know if it works please.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 06:30 AM »

Mike,
Thanks again for taking the time to do this. It's like bathroom reading for a year ! It's great to see some of this stuff again, and great to see some of it for the first time. The Google Docs interface is real easy to use, too.
~Rob.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 07:00 AM »

Worked for me, after I logged in since I have a google doc's account, I assume anybody else will go straight in to your public area. Only 18 showing up so far though and I have 30 from your first releases, I'm assuming your still working on the transfers. Oh here they come as I'm looking  Smiley 

Nice selection of video's too.

Thanks again Mike.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:28 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 07:28 AM »

Worked for me, after I logged in since I have a google doc's account, I assume anybody else will go straight in to your public area.
That should be what happens. Logged in (to your own account) gets a slightly different look but that's all.

I have 30 from your first releases..... still 1 missing from your original uploads, I have 42 now and Google has 41.
I uploaded 30 to my webspace and there are 41 residing with Google. When this thunderstorm passes (gotta love mobile internet and laptops) then I'll upload a few more I've just scanned.

There has been a request for some old magazines but:-
  • I can see that taking time
  • the dreaded word "copyright" has been mentioned
That's back-burnered for now and I still have plenty of catalogues, instructions sheets and general whatnot to put up.

Mike.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 07:31 AM »

I found my count mistake, it was on my side, I had a duplicate.

That works nice for those of us who want to archive them ourselves, they all reside in a folder named 'catalogues from Mike E...' on mine. Not as convinient for those who simply want to view them in our browser from the Web. I had made an index.htm locally of your original uploads for my own use, even used your background from elisa.net, nothing fancy, yours if you want it for an index of those originals.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:41 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 08:04 AM »

There has been a request for some old magazines but:-
  • I can see that taking time
  • the dreaded word "copyright" has been mentioned
That's back-burnered for now and I still have plenty of catalogues, instructions sheets and general whatnot to put up.

Mike.

Wasn't Baressi working on getting all of the magazines out there?   He must know about the copyrights et al.....

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 08:05 AM »

The amount of knowledge in that folder is immense...(now i have to do mine.....)

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 09:47 AM »

Another Mike (kiteking) was scanning all the old Into the Wind catalogs (american) and trying to get permission to make them available, I don't know what happened to that project. An amazing amount of valuble info in those old ones with charts listing which spars each kite used along with stiffness to wieght comparisons of all the older spars although not in the industry standard of 2 lbs at 2 feet but I used them to factor out close approximations for comparison in my charts where no other measurements were available.

Wasn't Baressi working on getting all of the magazines out there?   He must know about the copyrights et al.....

John got all the Kitelines & Stunt Kite Quarterly's put up at Kitelife.com, he's never been able to get permission from Daniel to put out American Kite, I don't know if he's given up or is still trying. My guess is after so many years that project has been pushed to the back burner too  Sad 

Mike (Zippy) probably has many of the Euro mag's few of us have seen over here, if only we could get translations, I'm sure there's a wealth of info we've missed out on there.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:57 AM by mikenchico » Logged

zippy8

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 08:28 AM »

Right.... there are now 75 documents or 428MB of hugely varying worth in here and, sadly, I really do have a lot more lying around. I'll be adding to this as and when I find the time.

As for magazines, I think that's off the table for now at least but I might cull a few choice articles at a later date.

Mike.

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41 AM »

Hey Mike: looking in the google doc folder and i only see the ones that were done on the 23rd....
Sad gotta get my old kite info fix!

zippy8

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 09:16 AM »

Hey Mike: looking in the google doc folder and i only see the ones that were done on the 23rd....
Fixed. Oh the joys of hidden default settings by programs/websites that know better than you do Embarrassed

Mike.

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 09:23 AM »

Schweet@@@@@@@@

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07 PM »

And thanks for separating them, sure made it easier to find the new additions. So much great info, thanks for all the work again.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography